Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Questions on mixing by weight.

AVF Regular

Questions on mixing by weight.

Hey guys just did my first mix mixing by weight using a digital scale. Ive just got a few queries:
    1) im going of the recipes i found on diy or die and it appears that ml's = grams so if 10mls = 10% of 100 according to the recipes 10g should be added to achieve the 10ml ammount is this correct? I just did my mix and had a smell and it seems to smell as expected (its a custard mix i know well) .

2)which scales are you guys using that i can get in Oz? I wanted to avoid the one recommended thats an expensive American one thats like $70 posted on ebay. It looks good but i was wondering if theres a more economical one i can get here in Oz. The ones at kmart all seem to go up in 1g increments and i need one up to 500g in increments 0.01.

3) when i added my nic i didnt bother weighing it because i always use a set ammount of drops for a cerain batch size so i just stuck to that. Do you guys bother weighing you nic pg/vg too? I figure as i was making a 50/50 mix when i finished weighing in the flavours id just top up to half way with pg and the remaining with vg making it 50/50.

the scales im using i got for $10 of ebay and go up to 500g in 0.01 increments but its a cheap little thing and has auto shutdown in it. I got it just to have a quick go at the weighing method before i invest in something more professional. Any suggestions are welcome.
    Cheers,
    Steve.

AVF Regular
    I use this one steve
    tells weight of nic PG VG etc
    I found it very helpful
    https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY_eJuice/...ing_by_weight/
    steve.c likes this.

Big shout out to AVF and Everyone that helped me on my Journey to quit the the Death Sticks

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by shaneo View Post
    I use this one steve
    tells weight of nic PG VG etc
    I found it very helpful
    https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY_eJuice/...ing_by_weight/
    Thanks shane but i was after a link to some good digital scales available here in Oz which ones do you use?
    shaneo likes this.

AVF Regular
    1) Yes, if you're assuming 1g : 1ml, then 10g = 10ml, which is 10% of 100ml.

Recipes written to be "mixed by volume" may need some tweaks to get it tasting exactly as the author intended depending on how far off the flavours are from the assumed 1g : 1ml though.

Flavours aren't actually 1g : 1ml - but each flavour is slightly different, so everyone that works in weight just "assumes" 1g : 1ml, and tweaks the flavouring percentages in their recipes if required.

So if you have a particularly heavy flavour, you might need to up the percentage on it a tiny amount as you'll hit the "required weight" when mixing with a smaller volume of flavour (For example - you need to add 10ml and put in 10g. If the flavour in question is a bit heavier than 1g : 1ml you may hit 10g with only 9.5ml of flavour).

Of course, you'll know if you need to tweak once you taste the end result! You'll probably be adjusting recipes off the internet for your own taste anyway, so it's no big deal.

Real world they're all close to the 1g : 1ml - so anything you mix by weight won't be too far off the intended result, even if the recipe was written to be mixed by volume.

2) Sounds like we're using the same scales, so I'm no help to you on that one.

I've never had an issue running in to the cutoff, so I gave up looking and just run with the fleabay special .

3) Drops are bad form for two reasons. Firstly, it makes it a pain in the arse to scale up to large batches. Secondly, it introduces inaccuracies as no two bottle droppers are identical - and thus no two drops are the same volume. It's not a huge issue for small batches and downmixing to a low nic level end result - but if you start making bigger batches, or using 100mg/ml+ nic, you may want to switch to a more accurate method of measuring out your nic.

Yes, I measure out my nic, pg, and VG - either by volume or by weight, depending on what I'm mixing, what bottle it's in, batch size, and target strength.

When I'm mixing doublers I work in volume. It's easier to calculate, and really - I'm using a syringe to get the nic out of the bottle anyway .

For my own stuff, I usually do nic, PG and VG by volume and flavours by weight. You can do that and still be accurate - you know your final batch volume and percentage of each ingredient you need, and you're hitting tare to reset the scales to zero between ingredients anyway... so it doesn't matter if you're adding 1ml of 100mg nic to a 10ml batch, or 1.035g of 100mg nic to a 10ml batch - it's the same amount of 100mg nic (just two different ways of measuring it) at the end of the mixing you'll have 10ml of juice with a 10% (10mg/ml) concentration.

The reason I do things that way is just convenience, really. The Nic, PG and VG bottles I have are all wide necked, no droppers, and require a syringe to get at the contents. Flavours on the other hand - nice little drippers, easy to squirt flavour into a bottle (and weigh it) but a pain to keep taking the tops off to use a syringe.
    steve.c likes this.
    These things.

I have some things.
    I vape them.

AVF Regular
    Well you can assume pg, flavors and nico (as long as pg diluted) is 1ml=1g, its not exactly one gram but if you need to tweek a bit wont be mutch diference...Now Vg have a diferent weigth i use normaly 1ml=1.21g for my acc but waht i suggest it to get a calculator that gives all this features i use e-juice me up eJuice Me Up - Best eJuice Calculator and then you get the ctrl+g feature to set your grams per type of ingredient.

If you have a base you can weith a ml of that to get the weith of one ml and work from there...

About scale i don't think i can make publicity but may have what you need, just look for a scale that have more than 180s off autoff and you should be fine...

Good luck
    Robray and steve.c like this.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A1OXMGBNNDVO3Y. https://www.amazon.com/Scales-Measur...F8&node=289787 Amazon has some good scales u might wanna get one of these!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mase21; 18-08-16 at 08:02 AM.
    steve.c likes this.

AVF Regular
    [QUOTE=steve.c;805471]Thanks shane but i was after a link to some good digital scales available here in Oz which ones do you use?[/QUOT

Hahaa didnt read all the post
    I just use a cheapy mate
    steve.c likes this.

Big shout out to AVF and Everyone that helped me on my Journey to quit the the Death Sticks

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Fractal View Post
    Flavours on the other hand - nice little drippers, easy to squirt flavour into a bottle (and weigh it) but a pain to keep taking the tops off to use a syringe.
    Just for reference, if you have 22g blunt needles you don't need to take the drippers off the bottles to easily get larger amounts. The 22g blunt syringe will go right through the dripper. Even the really skinny long drippers are only a bit hard the first time. Just invert the bottle and you can get at the full contents of the bottle.

Edit: ...and when measuring by weight, if you want to accurately convert mls to grams you need to take into account the different specific gravity. You'll never get concentrates completely accurate but if you assume PG SG (1.037) you will be very close, usually. VG is much more critical when it comes to specific gravity because it's much heavier - 1.263. IOW 1ml of VG weights 1.263 grams.

If you want to ignore SG that is fine too - as long as you always measure by weight you will always get consistent results. You might want to add 25% to your VG content to compensate for this one though - especially if you are a high VG vaper.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 18-08-16 at 11:30 AM.
    steve.c likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    [QUOTE=shaneo;805506]
    Quote Originally Posted by steve.c View Post
    Thanks shane but i was after a link to some good digital scales available here in Oz which ones do you use?[/QUOT

Hahaa didnt read all the post
    I just use a cheapy mate
    Haha! Same here mate. Seems like thats what most of us are using cheers!
    shaneo likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by mase21 View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A1OXMGBNNDVO3Y. https://www.amazon.com/Scales-Measur...F8&node=289787 Amazon has some good scales u might wanna get one of these!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    Thanks mase ill check them out but wanted to avoid amazon as a lot of their stuff dowsnt post to Oz and when they do its in usd so pretty pricey. Ill have a look at those links anyhow

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast