Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Quality of PG & VG

AVF Regular

Quality of PG & VG

After reading some of the problems Stylemessiah has had with what he calls stanky PG & VG, some smell & off colour problems. It got me to wondering if there's a difference between different venders supplies of VG & PG.
    I normally got my PG & VG from HOV & some from VapeKing but for my last two orders have got it from Base Drop & it has been fine although I'm not sure I would notice small variations even though I vape unflavoured.
    I think the prices from HOV & Vapeking are about $14 for 500ml yet I can get 1lt from Base Drop for $12.
    Should I be worried that you only get what you pay for & their quality might not be top notch? Mind you I don't want Base Drop to double the price just to make me think it's better quality:-)

AVF Regular
    I haven't found any differences in PG but some VG's taint my flavours. In one instance way back I had a VG that made my lips itch.

I tend to stick to the same supplier of VG (vapeking) because I know and trust the product plus it always tastes the same in my eliquid. I am less fussy with PG but still manage to end up with vapeking PG. the basedrop PG went straight into the Hiliq nic to dilute back to better level for me to deal with.
    rodbam and flyingfox12 like this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    I had a bad bottle of VG once (being the type of personality I am I can't remember who right now). but the other 2L of VG I've purchased in my vaping career from ebotaniq and basedrop have both been great.

I keep the stuff in the freezer though, and as long as it's sweet rather than sour I'm good. I guess I could pay twice as much for it, but it's a purity certified product. As long as it has been stored correctly before arriving to me it's all good.
    Last edited by Northerner; 15-11-16 at 04:13 PM.
    disley, rodbam and flyingfox12 like this.
    "Go away and come back when you understand better." he said. He would not let me pass.

AVF Regular
    I normally keep my stuff in the fridge but it might be safer in the freezer a.

AVF Regular
    Keep all my PG & VG in the freezer (same as the nic) apart from 100mls of each that I keep out for odd DIY or doublers.
    I just take it out the freezer and let it thaw to room temperature to use (large batch's of juice) and top up my 100mls of each and then straight back in the freezer. Better safe than sorry I suppose. Have found basedrop to be great and a lot cheaper.
    Cheers
    Sodd
    merexy, rodbam, Northerner and 1 others like this.

AVF Regular
    i keep my vg in a fridge with temp set to chill beer.
    Pg/Nic is stored in the freezer in a childproof lockbox

AVF Regular
    Funny, how myself and Fab were talking about this very subject this morning before this thread appeared

Heres my five cents, maybe a dollar on it

I dont have a problem with where it comes from, as long as its consistent, thats my ultimate goal. I want to support vendors...especially since i took Max aside at a Steam meet over a year ago and had to confess id bought somethign somewhere else, and seek forgiveness...to which he laughed and pardoned me saying "i dont expect you to buy everything here"

Ive learned to let go a little and order from other places, but i'd still much rather, obviously, deal with my local shop, where i love the people, and its convenient.

Inconsistency works against not only customer loyalty can also skew the perception of vaping by newbies (more on this in my cut&paste from a PM to Fab just a few minutes ago)

This year ive had to bin probably 1.5 litres each of PG/VG - 1lt of each from Base Drop (who i have to point out bent over backwards to resolve the issue - im simply (with the exception of Steam) a once burnt, twice shy person, so i took a refund). then i had a bad bottle of PG from Steam - almost a year to the day since the last one (the bad ones always coincided with my convert needing a bulk mix, he's been known as the PG curse ever since). Then i got a bottle of PG from disleys stash, but it was not really floating my boat either. I got tired of the PG hunt so i switched to VG only, with distilled water, and all was well as i was still on good stock VG from Steam.
    but recently when that ran out i got a new bottle from Steam, but it reminded me of the Base Drop stuff, very similar taste - chemical-ly. Having already changed the entire way i mixed to rule PG out, i was getting close to my wits end, luckily finding a bottle of earlier Steam VG hidden in the fridge - obviously been saving it for a bulk mix for my convert. But even that was not as per usual. Hence Vape King today.

Now im really not one to quibble over a slight change in taste, in each case it has been markedly different. I dont expect identical evrytime, but i do expect same ballpark, but all the stuff ive mentioend has been in the nosebleed seats.

Every vaper knows, or should realise, that the one variable no one should expect to be 100% is flavours/juices, that should be the one section of vaping you are willing to roll the dice on. But base liquids. and theres only 3 - nicotine, PG and VG, should be so interchangeable that youre not hunting around, and if they were, the love would get spread around more vendors, which is good for everyone...

Anyways, heres my last PM on the subject to Fab, covers some of the things ive already talked about, but ill leave it as is (sans typos this time):

Here's the problem, like most new things, you remember what you first vape tasted like, its taste and smell memory. And the first bottles i ever got from Steam, and many after were the best ive had. But then when i got a bad one a year ago, i swapped it out with Max and all went well, until almost exactly a year to the day from the first bad PG bottle, i got another. I didnt even mention it at the time. I then went Base Drop, and that was worse than the bad Steam one. <added due to omission> Then i got a bottle from disleys private stash, but it wasnt floating my boat either</added> Then i thought, why not rule out as many variables as possible..distilled water and VG for me. Then the bad bottle of Steam VG. Then i found a big bottle in the top of the bar fridge...which i'd obviously hidden for bulk mixing for my dependant convert mate. but even thats sub par, and im not going to give him something i wont vape...hence the roll of the dice with vape king...

Id hate to think the amount of sub par pg/vg is out there, being hidden under flavours, and on that note i wonder how many flavours get bad reviews because theres nothing wrong with them per se, but the underlying base ingredients

Point i case, referring to an earlier PM, when i noticed something funky about the first bad pg from steam, it was only myself and another unflavoured vapist that caught it...

I just like a simple life, im sometimes very vocal about returning gear or highlighting an issue, its because im not only trying to fix it for myself, but make things more consistent for everyone. It would be easy for a newbie to cop a bad batch/bottle and be put off vaping or get a skewed reference point, until they restock and get some clean stuff...
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 15-11-16 at 07:14 PM.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

AVF Regular
    Well, my Base Drop stuff seems OK, but usually I just stick to VapeKing. Never an issue with VK.

AVF Regular
    I found the Base Drop VG a little thin (might just be me). I'm using Supervapestore AU at the moment. Good prices, quality and free shipping, code 'forumshipping'

AVF Regular
    vk might not be the best quality or cheapest, but i dare a person to find fault with the reliability.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast