Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Sour Flavours

AVF Regular

Sour Flavours

I got some sample flavours from a vendor to try out, they are their 'development' flavours that they let people try if you place an order.

One of them is a sour flavour and I can't vape it, but I find I've got lots of questions as I've never set out to make a sour flavour myself.

1) It seems to have a lot of Malic and/or Citric acid in it. I take it this is to create the 'sour' flavour?. What kinds of percentages are normally used, anyone know? Are any other acids/compounds used to make a sour flavour?

2) The one I got works as a sour if I put a drop on my tongue, but I can't vape it as it's too acid - makes me cough and wheeze. Is this just me or does it sound like the flavour is too sour? I get a noticable sour on the inhale which is not unpleasant but I can't inhale, and I certainly can't DL it.

I was curious about sour flavours, but I'm not interested if this is normal.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Im only really familiar with citric (which is used to give a citrus flavour) acid cause I occasionally use it in black tea at about a quarter to half a teaspoon if I dont have lemon on hand - otherwise am not much for sour flavours - That being said

Found you some links

https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY_eJuice/...us_malic_acid/

e-Liquid Calculator :: Master Mixer's e-Juice Tips & Tricks

DIY ejuice additives

And this guy who if you run the math in smaller proportions does an well just ok video on malic acid

On another note straight or strong acid will always be different in flavor to diluted and then again in diluted and mixed ... the straight on the tongue thing wont give a great indication of final product

and all standard warnings apply when using this stuff to vape

hope this has been of some use to you ....
    Last edited by rebelagainstthemachine; 21-12-16 at 01:29 AM.
    gtadmin and fabricator4 like this.
    ďBut I donít want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you canít help that," said the Cat: "weíre all mad here. Iím mad. Youíre mad."
    "How do you know Iím mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldnít have come here.Ē
    Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comic Database: Steve Hughes... Offended?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs

CMB
    AVF Regular
    TFA Sour is just Malic Acid and PG Perfumer's Apprentice

I have used that at between 1 and 2% not noticed any real harsh effects, maybe use some EM to smooth it out a bit....or use less of it.
    gtadmin likes this.

AVF Regular
    Sour is malic acid and use less than 1% or it gets harsh. That's just for me... Have heard ppl use it by 3%, shudders...
    gtadmin likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistic Lady View Post
    Sour is malic acid and use less than 1% or it gets harsh. That's just for me... Have heard ppl use it by 3%, shudders...
    Going on effects then, this RTV sample I got must be knocking on the door of 4% then LOL.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelagainstthemachine View Post
    Found you some links
    Thanks, they are good links. Got me looking for raw ingredients again, and trying to find a source for WS-3 cooling agent for a reasonable price. Still beating my head against a wall on that one. I can see I'm going to finish up buying a kilo (several lifetimes supply for $200).

AVF Regular
    Kks so I had a looksee to see what I could see on the WS-3 cooling agent - and yup it seems that kg quanties are the way to go - I think this might have something to do with wrigleys being the main customer until they switched to thier new patented version

But a thought before you go all crazy and have to become a WS-3 dealer to keep costs low

Most places now sell cooling agents - and some dont - so if you are determined - you could sell the idea to a vendor or two to stock the stuff for the public use - places like juice factory, hi liq and such just might be interested esp sice WS-3 is supposed to be better than koolada -

Hell I would buy some if not only for cooking purposes and to try in my home made icecreams and diy juices - Just not sure that I would ever need even a quarter of a kilo

Please keep us updated on how you proceed

Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    Thanks, they are good links. Got me looking for raw ingredients again, and trying to find a source for WS-3 cooling agent for a reasonable price. Still beating my head against a wall on that one. I can see I'm going to finish up buying a kilo (several lifetimes supply for $200).
    ďBut I donít want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you canít help that," said the Cat: "weíre all mad here. Iím mad. Youíre mad."
    "How do you know Iím mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldnít have come here.Ē
    Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comic Database: Steve Hughes... Offended?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelagainstthemachine View Post
    Kks so I had a looksee to see what I could see on the WS-3 cooling agent - and yup it seems that kg quanties are the way to go - I think this might have something to do with wrigleys being the main customer until they switched to thier new patented version

But a thought before you go all crazy and have to become a WS-3 dealer to keep costs low

Most places now sell cooling agents - and some dont - so if you are determined - you could sell the idea to a vendor or two to stock the stuff for the public use - places like juice factory, hi liq and such just might be interested esp sice WS-3 is supposed to be better than koolada -

Hell I would buy some if not only for cooking purposes and to try in my home made icecreams and diy juices - Just not sure that I would ever need even a quarter of a kilo

Please keep us updated on how you proceed
    I've already tried a few dealers and vape shops. I didn't find any of them willing to take a risk on stocking it - they wanted me to buy the whole kilo, which I can do for myself. Aussie vape shops also don't seem to understand the value of WS-3, or the practicalities of stocking it for DIYers. The ones that stock crystals for citric and malic acids do not stock cooling agents. Bit of a wtf moment for me...

I did find a source for methyl lactate crystals (which is the same as Koolada and not what I am looking for). It was $60 for 10 grams. WTF again - m.lactate is cheap as chips - I can buy a kilo for less than that from the same place that I would buy WS-3.

If I do buy a kilo I'll almost certainly be trying to get people interested in taking some of it because there's no way I'll use a whole kilo. Your thoughts on using it for cooking are interesting. WS3 trips the sugar button for me, and Mrs Fab can't have sugar, but craves sweet stuff so it might have some possibilities there if I can come up with something good.

AVF Regular
    I was reading the link you posted the other day Rebel, the one about ejuice additives, and it said that Sour additive eats kanthal and makes many nasties So then I ordered some SS wire from VE.

if you order a kilo of crystals of the Koolada stuff, you can put me down for all of 10 grams. Hope that helps

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    Going on effects then, this RTV sample I got must be knocking on the door of 4% then LOL.
    They just try to kill you, be afraid be very afraid... LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast