Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: DIY Cuban Cigar NET

AVF Regular

DIY Cuban Cigar NET

Love my tobacco vapes and particularly the Black Note range of NETS. Ridiculously expensive so decided to try some DIY. I'm 5 weeks into the steep and thought I'd give an update. The photos below show the Cuban cigars I used, the black swamp juice of the steeping shredded tobacco and the tester I prepared by filtering 2ml of the liquid though a 0.45 micron filter and diluting it 1:4 (20% juice) to a final 50:50 PG/VG blend + nic. The final juice is in the tube on the left on the last photo.

I went to a cigar merchant in the city looking to purchase the cigars and when I told him what I wanted to do he showed me into his walk in humidor and let me chose from his stock of wrapper damaged cigars. Not sure if he was appalled at the prospect of a premo quality cigar being ripped to pieces for ejuice, or that he was generally looking to help me out....regardless it was mighty nice of him and saved me a packet!.

Decided to blend both cigars and cut them up finely with scissors. Ended up with 12.66 grams to which I added 200ml of PG in an Erlenmeyer flask. Spent the next 5 weeks under the staircase with daily mixing. Was planning on leaving it to steep 8 weeks but after this taster 6 weeks will be enough.

Filtering of the tester was a breeze using the 0.45 micron filters pictured and a sterile syringe. The youtube channels on this topic use coffee plungers, filter paper etc...which is a complete pain in the ass and only gets down to a couple of microns at best. I should be able to filter the remaining juice fairly easily with a couple of these filters.

After diluting it to 20% with 10 mg/ml nicotine I tasted on a kayfun mini V3 clone from Fasttech. The flavour absolutely blew my mind. Had a slightly sweet and creamy tobacco taste with some similarities to a flue-cured virginia. However, it has an unmistakable light earthy and leathery undertone of a quality cuban cigar.....just lovely. Considering this batch will make 1 litre of juice and the cost of blacknote I think I'll keep up this venture.

gtadmin, The Sodd, rotten and 3 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Fantastic CP, well done !!!
    Have to admit that the one thing I miss about giving up the stinkies is the odd cuban cigar, even though it was only once or twice a year.

Big question is, as the cuban cigars would have already had nicotine in them, was there any need to add any more ? (as in your dilution)
    Cheers
    Sodd

AVF Regular
    Hey Sodd. With cold maceration most of the nicotine stays in the leaf and in the final 20% diluted juice you would have only ~0.1 mg/ml nic.
    AllyP likes this.

Super Moderator
    Cold maceration of tobacco in PG/VG or a mixture (steeping the tobacco) extracts very little nicotine or other alkaloids (for that you need to do a base/acid extraction).

ETA: snap cpvaps
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    Cp - do you have a link for the filters? sadly my last attempt failed badly and I tossed 500 grams of tobacco and over a litre of PG - I was going for a Tobacco flavor more than a Cigar one and foolishly used cheap tobacco - I think enough time has passed to be over the loss and try again. Might go for the Cigar option this time.
    Tootle Puffing Provari Fan Gal & Newbie Squonker

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyP View Post
    Cp - do you have a link for the filters? sadly my last attempt failed badly and I tossed 500 grams of tobacco and over a litre of PG - I was going for a Tobacco flavor more than a Cigar one and foolishly used cheap tobacco - I think enough time has passed to be over the loss and try again. Might go for the Cigar option this time.
    Hi Ally,

the cigar is a nice flavour but if you want a specific tobacco taste then use pipe tobacco. I will be trying this next. You can buy filters from Amazon. The Millex are expensive and on checking they are only sold in bulk. There are other PVDF filter on there that are sold as singles and reasonably priced. Just a heads up......when you are ready to process the whole batch, strain through a tea strainer to remove the bulk leaves and then let it sit for a good hour for sediment to fall to the bottom of your container and carefully decant before you pass through the 0.45 micron filter, You'll need a new filter every 40-50ml. I decided to also include a 0.22 micron filter step and whilst probably an over kill it did leave me with crystal clear juice. Be patient with the 0.22 filter if you choose to use it as it takes some time and effort.
    AllyP likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by cpvaps View Post
    I went to a cigar merchant in the city looking to purchase the cigars and when I told him what I wanted to do he showed me into his walk in humidor and let me chose from his stock of wrapper damaged cigars. Not sure if he was appalled at the prospect of a premo quality cigar being ripped to pieces for ejuice, or that he was generally looking to help me out....regardless it was mighty nice of him and saved me a packet!.
    Probably half glad that ruined stock was going to be used by someone who was appreciative of it.

I like this idea so much, I think I'll give it a shot. I've got a batch of Fab's coffee goop in the works, and if I can make this kind of stuff work too, all the better.

Thanks for the details of the process.

Stu.

Super Moderator
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by gtadmin View Post
    Thanks GT...haven't seen this thread. It's great.

AVF Regular
    I'm reading it now, and wonder if I might make a shortcut in getting decent, unmolested tobacco from these;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_American_Spirit

They're in every convenience store around here, so easy to get. Cigars, I'll probably need to go into town for.

(It's not far into town, but it's full of cars and people both of which I try to avoid if possible...)

Stu.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast