Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: DIY Nicotine salts

Super Moderator
    This is how Vermont Vapor mixed up their 60mg/ml VG base (copied from ECF)

"60 mg/ml Unflavored Base (100 ml) (June, 2009)

71.6 ml Glycerol USP
    17.9 ml distilled Water
    6 g l-Nicotine USP
    4.54 ml Citric Acid Solution

Combine glycerol, water and citric acid solution. Mix well. Chill to -5 C. Slowly add nicotine (stored at -5 C) while stirring until completely mixed.

Citric Acid Solution (06/2009)

1 g Citric Acid USP (anhydrous)
    1 ml Distilled Water

Heat water to above 120 deg. F., slowly add citric acid while stirring until all is dissolved and solution is clear (a very, very pale yellow)."

Note they added 4.54ml of citric acid solution, which should also add 4.54g of CA ie 4.54% for 60mg/ml. Also note the nicotine they added was pure (being vendors and all that, they should have the correct mixing facilities).
    DogMan, Schtoo and FXVaper like this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    I tried this today, and it's very smooth and nice. Doesn't seem to disrupt the flavour at all. Thank you so much for sharing
    gtadmin, DogMan and Schtoo like this.

AVF Regular
    I assume that if the nicotine salts solutions are to do with the binding of cations to different nitrogens, then the pH of the solutions would need to be regulated.

What pH are each of the Nude Nicotine Salt solutions?

I would guess Signature is in the mid range, or at about 5 (since tobacco smoke is ~pH 5 and nude nicotine claims that their Signature nicotine salt is closest to tobacco smoke)

But which side of the pH range are the Hit and Smooth?

How would the use of certain flavours which contain organic acids (e.g Butanoic Acid) affect the nicotine in these solutions?

E.g If Nude Nioctine Hit is a high pH (i.e base), then will an acidic flavor bring its pH down, and nullify its throat hit effect?

Last edited by PurpleVapes; 10-06-17 at 02:06 PM.

Super Moderator
    I can't answer your question accurately but I could hazard a guess ... which would be next to useless as I don't have any Nude Nicotine salts I have however, an electronic pH meter on the way which should be here this week coming. Also, and this is only my interpretation, but fully converted nicotine salt ceases to become liquid nicotine, and more like say, niacin (Vitamin B3 or nicotinic acid C6H5NO2)
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleVapes View Post
    But which side of the pH range are the Hit and Smooth?
    This is also a guess on my part...

if more of the nicotine is converted the pH is lower and the nicotine is smoother. I'd guess that 'Hit' might only be partially converted to salt and/or has a higher (more alkaline) pH. The difference between 'smooth' and 'signature' is anybodies guess though.

How would the use of certain flavours which contain organic acids (e.g Butanoic Acid) affect the nicotine in these solutions?
    Acidic flavour molecules are probably more of a problem for normal nicotine - presumably they also combine with the nicotine to for salts or are otherwise neutralised. maybe that is the reason that some flavours like strawberry can fade to nothing if you steep them too long. Using nicotine salts instead of nicotine might make this problem less (and may mean the liquids don't steep in the same way).

E.g If Nude Nioctine Hit is a high pH (i.e base), then will an acidic flavor bring its pH down, and nullify its throat hit effect?
    More guessing on my part, but yes I think that is what can happen.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    So I've moved to a workplace where I needed to be a lot more discreet with my vaping (no clouds) and over the Black Friday sales I picked up
    some Mr Salt-E 45mg and Salt Nkd-100 35mg and a Aspire Breeze which I was told would suit the Salts.

Unfortunately I get a headache 20 seconds after an inhale that can last for 15 mins. It's a shame as the amount of vape and throat hit is perfect for my situation.
    I've also tried them in a VaporShark Minnow but still get a dull headache just not for as long.

Any ideas on how I can make this work ? Dilution or another brand ? Have my two years of low wattage vaping reduced my Nic tolerance normally 6 to 9 mg.

(I know this is a DIY thread but thought i'd ask).

Super Moderator
    If the aim is to reduce the frequency of vaping, then I'd aim at about 36mg/ml with the breeze. If the aim is to just reduce the amount of vapour emitted, I'd drop the % to around 12 to 18mg. In both instances, I'd use the 1.2Ω breeze coils (yes, these are a thing) and not the 0.6Ω coils
    Dhufish likes this.

AVF Regular
    Thanks Gta,

The 0.6 coils have a bit of a kick to them i'll look into 1.2's

I think i have a 35mg bottle on the way, so will give that a go before mixing down the others.

Cheers.

Super Moderator
    You don't have to mix down a lot to determine whether that'll work for you or not, typically only 5ml or so. That'll give you several refills with the Breeze.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhufish View Post
    So I've moved to a workplace where I needed to be a lot more discreet with my vaping (no clouds) and over the Black Friday sales I picked up
    some Mr Salt-E 45mg and Salt Nkd-100 35mg and a Aspire Breeze which I was told would suit the Salts.

Unfortunately I get a headache 20 seconds after an inhale that can last for 15 mins. It's a shame as the amount of vape and throat hit is perfect for my situation.
    I've also tried them in a VaporShark Minnow but still get a dull headache just not for as long.

Any ideas on how I can make this work ? Dilution or another brand ? Have my two years of low wattage vaping reduced my Nic tolerance normally 6 to 9 mg.

(I know this is a DIY thread but thought i'd ask).
    If it turns out the salt nic just doesn't suit you, you can always use your normal nic at higher concentrations. I regularly use 24mg/ml in an iCare mini. Completely concealed in my hand it's very discreet. The vapour level is low, so it's a cinch to stealth with. (flavour is very muted, but that's not my objective - in this case it might as well be unflavoured).
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast