Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By fabricator4
  • 1 Post By gert

Thread: Mixing alcohol-based super concentrates

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Mixing alcohol-based super concentrates

Hello everyone

Just about to send my first order of concentrates and pg/vg bottles (a bottle of 100m/m nic is already in a freezer wrapped in a ziploc bag).

A couple of questions regarding concentrates.

Since they are neither PG nor VG, can I just ignore them in PG/VG ratio calculation (and potentially expect alcohol to evaporate)?

Most of them have 1%-2.5% recommended percentage (i.e. JF Lemon Limed Super Concentrate - Juice Factory). If I am mixing multiple concentrates (lemon/lime + blood orange + pineapple + sweetener is the idea - would appreciate some feedback on the recipe as well), does it mean that I need to keep the whole mix at 2.5%, or it's more like up to 2.5% each, which gives up to 10% worth of various "super concentrates" in the mix which sounds quite overwhelming.

Following the halving rule as defined in "DIY Tips" thread:

1 ml lemon/lime
    0.5 ml orange
    0.25 ml pineapple
    0.1 ml sweetener

1.76ml total mix.

E-juice (10 ml) calculation, courtesy of e-liquid-recipes:

Nicotine juice*100 mg*(100% PG): 0.3ml
    PG*dilutant: 2.7ml
    VG*dilutant: 7ml

Total base: 10ml

Flavour Mix: 0.25ml
    Totals: 10.25

Strength: 2.9 mg
    PG/VG-ratio: 30/70

Would that be correct approach?

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ecole View Post
    Since they are neither PG nor VG, can I just ignore them in PG/VG ratio calculation (and potentially expect alcohol to evaporate)?
    Normally we just count concentrates as PG, but e-liquid recipes calculator *does* have a selection for "other" - you could use that. It will probably still give you 30/70 but ignoring the 'other' component. If you want definitely 70% VG then count the concentrates as PG.

Most of them have 1%-2.5% recommended percentage (i.e. JF Lemon Limed Super Concentrate - Juice Factory). If I am mixing multiple concentrates (lemon/lime + blood orange + pineapple + sweetener is the idea - would appreciate some feedback on the recipe as well), does it mean that I need to keep the whole mix at 2.5%, or it's more like up to 2.5% each, which gives up to 10% worth of various "super concentrates" in the mix which sounds quite overwhelming.
    You guessed right, the total amount of concentrates will probably need to be 1 - 2.5%. Sometimes in a recipe you finish up with a little more than you expected because you need to use a bit higher of one thing or another due to interactions between the flavours or sometimes a flavour is not really as strong as you expect it to be.

As far as recipes are concerned, I haven't used those flavours. You really need to test the flavours individually first. That way you get to know the flavour and how it works, and what concentration works best. There's a sticky thread at the top of this DIY section on testing flavours and since you are using super concentrates you may need to do the secondary dilution of the flavours for control.

If you don't do the testing, then you won't be able to adjust the recipe because you won't know which of the components is giving the odd taste, or if something is overly strong or too weak. Less is more - so by doing the testing and starting very low you get to know just how much (or little) of a concentrate that you need to use.

Following the halving rule as defined in "DIY Tips" thread:

1 ml lemon/lime
    0.5 ml orange
    0.25 ml pineapple
    0.1 ml sweetener

1.76ml total mix.

E-juice (10 ml) calculation, courtesy of e-liquid-recipes:

Nicotine juice*100 mg*(100% PG): 0.3ml
    PG*dilutant: 2.7ml
    VG*dilutant: 7ml

Total base: 10ml

Flavour Mix: 0.25ml
    Totals: 10.25

Strength: 2.9 mg
    PG/VG-ratio: 30/70

Would that be correct approach?[/QUOTE]

Not really, in as much as we don't start mixing a batch of concentrates together, and then apportion that out into the final mix, and definitely not for a test recipe which will most likely need to be adjusted. If you mix concentrates together and you need to adjust it, you would have to then mix another batch of "flavour".

Just plug 10ml into the calculator then the percentages of each flavour that you want. 1ml syringes might be necessary for super concentrates, or do the extra dilution (say 10% or whatever) of the concentrates you want to test.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Oh, and don't expect to achieve everything all in an hour, or even a day. There's a limit to how much the human senses of taste and smell can handle. You need to go slowly otherwise you are just opening the door to some real nice arse juice.
    gert likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    Oh, and don't expect to achieve everything all in an hour, or even a day. There's a limit to how much the human senses of taste and smell can handle. You need to go slowly otherwise you are just opening the door to some real nice arse juice.
    Isnt that the truth!
    I can't count the number of times I've done it.. fiddled and added for hours after my tastebuds had expired, drowned with chemicals.
    fabricator4 likes this.