• 4 Post By fabricator4
  • 1 Post By flyingfox12
  • 1 Post By Ginar
  • 2 Post By fabricator4
  • 1 Post By flyingfox12

Thread: Ultrasonic Cleaner Question or three

AVF Regular

Ultrasonic Cleaner Question or three

Ok, so it arrived, a 1.3L job with digital display. So, what I need help with is:
    1. should I put the temp up to 50?
    2. I am using plastic bottles, popping them into plastic bags and then into the cleaner, after they have been in there, the juice is still clear, not cloudy like when I have shaken the bejezzus out it, is this normal?
    3. How long should I leave in a 15ml and 30ml bottle of juice?
    4. If you have it on clean for a long period, should you also have the tempature up for the entire time as well?
    5. I gave it a test run last night and then tested the juice and I think it lost some of its flavour - is this normal or is it me?

2nd attempt ... Never give up, giving up. OMG I am going to be rich soon, look how much I have saved!

AVF Regular
    Hi Ginar,
    I only had an ultrasonic for a short time before it fused up so I cant speak with any authority about ultrasonics. I think they are great for mixing.
    But as regards heating, I tend to be a bit cautious. I know it's used a lot, but I've come round to the belief that too much heat may affect the nic and flavours {but thats just what I think, and i'm a noob at this.}
    Are you able to just have the machine on warm and see how that goes?

{I just put some nicely warm water in a hot water bottle, put the juice bottles on top, and cover it with my dressing gown or blankets, stays warm for hours.}
    Last edited by gert; 01-06-17 at 11:07 AM.
    Ginar likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by gert View Post
    Hi Ginar,
    I only had an ultrasonic for a short time before it fused up so I cant speak with any authority about ultrasonics. I think they are great for mixing.
    But as regards heating, I tend to be a bit cautious. I know it's used a lot, but I've come round to the belief that too much heat may affect the nic and flavours {but thats just what I think, and i'm a noob at this.}
    Are you able to just have the machine on warm and see how that goes?

{I just put some nicely warm water in a hot water bottle, put the juice bottles on top, and cover it with my dressing gown or blankets, stays warm for hours.}
    Have a look at my thread My E-Juice Steeper Ultrasonic

I have since bought a better unit and my Ultrasonic steeping works well. Do not use plastic bottles to steep. Use glass and do not screw the top down to hard it has to breath and let the oxygen escape.
    I do not use the water heater option in my 2l job but I do use warm water around the 30-35 C and I zap my juice for 3 X 30 minute cycles on average depending on the PG/VG ratio and the concentrate used. After each cycle I let the juice stand for at least a couple of hours to breathe with the cap loose.

Why I say do not use plastic e-juice bottles is plastics and I am not an industrial chemist and do not know the composition of plastics used for e-juice bottles, I have discovered from another contributor on the formum, seemed to react with the juice, He lost all flavor from the juice he steeped in the UC after a couple of days.

This is the UC unit that I am using now and so far no problems with this one.
    Ginar likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginar View Post
    Ok, so it arrived, a 1.3L job with digital display. So, what I need help with is:[*]should I put the temp up to 50?
    The higher the temperature, the faster the reaction will be. Fast isn't necessarily the best - I personally would not go above 40C but you have to find out what works best - and each liquid may be a little bit different.

[*]I am using plastic bottles, popping them into plastic bags and then into the cleaner, after they have been in there, the juice is still clear, not cloudy like when I have shaken the bejezzus out it, is this normal?
    Shaking introduces air in the form of microscopic bubbles. Because of the high viscosity these can take a little while to come out of the solution. Ultrasound does not agitate the liquid/air this way so that doesn't happen.

[*]How long should I leave in a 15ml and 30ml bottle of juice?
    No idea, but most people seen to start with a few hours if heat is also used. It will vary with the liquid.

[*]If you have it on clean for a long period, should you also have the tempature up for the entire time as well?
    The reaction will occur faster if it's warmer.

[*]I gave it a test run last night and then tested the juice and I think it lost some of its flavour - is this normal or is it me?
    Indeed, even normal steeping makes some flavours go away. Not all flavours need to be steeped - fruits and florals in particular tend to fade with steeping so they are best used as a shake n vape, with maybe a short period to allow blending.

Some experimentation is required but generally the flavours that need to be steeped are tobaccos and creams/custards. You can see this brings in some big problems when you have for example a strawberry custard - if it's fresh it tastes like strawberry without much custard depth, but if you steep it too much the strawberry can disappear.

Manufacturers often allow for this by increasing the amount of the flavour that will disappear - however this then makes something that is totally unvapable when it's fresh, so they may compromise with the amount.

Unfortunately there's no hard rules that will apply to every liquid. Results will vary... A lot.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 01-06-17 at 11:59 AM.
    gert, Ginar, eLicky and 1 others like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    The higher the temperature, the faster the reaction will be. Fast isn't necessarily the best - I personally would not go above 40C but you have to find out what works best - and each liquid may be a little bit different.

Indeed, even normal steeping makes some flavours go away. Not all flavours need to be steeped - fruits and florals in particular tend to fade with steeping so they are best used as a shake n vape, with maybe a short period to allow blending.

Some experimentation is required but generally the flavours that need to be steeped are tobaccos and creams/custards. You can see this brings in some big problems when you have for example a strawberry custard - if it's fresh it tastes like strawberry without much custard depth, but if you steep it too much the strawberry can disappear.

Manufacturers often allow for this by increasing the amount of the flavour that will disappear - however this then makes something that is totally unvapable when it's fresh, so they may compromise with the amount.

Unfortunately there's no hard rules that will apply to every liquid. Results will vary... A lot.
    Thanks Fab, that will explain what happened to my mates UC steeping problem. He used Strawberry concentrate.
    fabricator4 likes this.

AVF Regular
    Thanks FF12 and F4.

Fab, what you said about the flavour is exactly what happened, it was a strawberry flavour, now all I can taste is graham cracker. I can see it is going to take a bit of playing around. But thank you heaps for answering my questions. I made two juices - one was Mother's Milk clone and the other was strawberry milkshake, now neither have any strawberry. There were about 6 others I made as well and they now all smell the same, haven't tasted them yet, but I think they are all going to taste the same. Am thinking the cleaner might be handy for say a 15 minute heat up to 40C just to get the steeping started.
    fabricator4 likes this.

2nd attempt ... Never give up, giving up. OMG I am going to be rich soon, look how much I have saved!

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginar View Post
    Thanks FF12 and F4.

Fab, what you said about the flavour is exactly what happened, it was a strawberry flavour, now all I can taste is graham cracker. I can see it is going to take a bit of playing around. But thank you heaps for answering my questions. I made two juices - one was Mother's Milk clone and the other was strawberry milkshake, now neither have any strawberry. There were about 6 others I made as well and they now all smell the same, haven't tasted them yet, but I think they are all going to taste the same. Am thinking the cleaner might be handy for say a 15 minute heat up to 40C just to get the steeping started.
    Hmmm, what is it with Strawberry, I tried Blackcurrent and Cherry and no dramas. Ok I got some Mollinberry Fruity ones from Fenix Vapours and will have a play on the WE.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingfox12 View Post
    Hmmm, what is it with Strawberry, I tried Blackcurrent and Cherry and no dramas. Ok I got some Mollinberry Fruity ones from Fenix Vapours and will have a play on the WE.
    It's probably the flavour molecules, and how they react with either nicotine or oxygen. If it forms a new molecule it may no longer taste like strawberry any more if the the oxygen bonds to point on the molecule that was responsible for the flavour in the first place.

Different concentrates may use different chemicals for the strawberry flavour, so it might be worth trying a few different ones.
    gert and DogMan like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Here is a very good video I found on Ultrasonic steeping I use the device similar in this movie.
    Also an interesting point to note, I have been steeping Mollinberry Fruit concentrates and they do not seem to loose flavor like the Capella and TPA did.
    fabricator4 likes this.