Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Colours for diy?

AVF Regular

Question Colours for diy?

Just a question has anyone had any experience with adding colors to e-juice?
    The reason why I ask is a gf of mine had a serious chemical accident a few years back and is now classed as blind she still has some vision in both eyes and can see bright colours.
    Biggest problem is she can't read labels I'm putting on her e-jucies I make for her or distinguish between any of them or even see when her tank needs to be filled.
    So I thought if I add a bright colour synthesized just for e-juices it will help with both problems.

Just wanted to see how safe it is and get some feedback?

AVF Regular
    Why not get brightly coloured labels to colour the bottles with, instead of adding extra chemicals to the juice?
    Colouring seems to gunk coils...

Sent from my HTC 2PST1 using Tapatalk

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by staceman101 View Post
    Why not get brightly coloured labels to colour the bottles with, instead of adding extra chemicals to the juice?
    Colouring seems to gunk coils...

Sent from my HTC 2PST1 using Tapatalk
    Tried that and she still has problems seeing when her tank needs a fill and how much she needs to put in.
    I'm around her place every couple of days so I can easily change coils when the gunk comes.
    staceman101 likes this.

AVF Regular
    Vape Vamp and Red Astair from TJuice are very visually clearly red! oh and yummy
    staceman101 likes this.

Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    Just a question has anyone had any experience with adding colors to e-juice?
    The reason why I ask is a gf of mine had a serious chemical accident a few years back and is now classed as blind she still has some vision in both eyes and can see bright colours.
    Biggest problem is she can't read labels I'm putting on her e-jucies I make for her or distinguish between any of them or even see when her tank needs to be filled.
    So I thought if I add a bright colour synthesized just for e-juices it will help with both problems.

Just wanted to see how safe it is and get some feedback?
    Drat, just lost my message somehow.

Colourings are GRAS (generally regarded as safe) however they are not tested for inhalation.

Suggestions:

File notches in the top cap so the tanks can be told apart.

Geekish solution that appeals to me: put dots of glue on the glass itself:

Fill tanks for her at the same time every day, then she won't need to bother much, but if she can see light:

Shine a light horizontally through the tank, then lay the tank over so it's flat and shine the light vertically up through the tank. If the light changes then there is something in it. If the light does not change then it's either full or empty, and if it's a dark juice she may be able to tell how much is there by the change in intensity or colour. Most e-liquids do steep to varying shades of light or dark brown.
    eLicky and staceman101 like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ynne View Post
    Vape Vamp and Red Astair from TJuice are very visually clearly red! oh and yummy
    Thanks for the suggestion unfortunate she only likes 3 flavours out of about 200 lol
    Apple pie,tobacco menthol and vanilla custard which are all light colours which makes it even more difficult
    1ynne and staceman101 like this.

AVF Regular
    A bit of google-fu came up with this.

Here's a range of food colourings in 10ml bottles

I have never used these. Safety wise I think you are in the great unknown.
    staceman101 likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    Drat, just lost my message somehow.

Colourings are GRAS (generally regarded as safe) however they are not tested for inhalation.

Suggestions:

File notches in the top cap so the tanks can be told apart.

Geekish solution that appeals to me: put dots of glue on the glass itself:

Fill tanks for her at the same time every day, then she won't need to bother much, but if she can see light:

Shine a light horizontally through the tank, then lay the tank over so it's flat and shine the light vertically up through the tank. If the light changes then there is something in it. If the light does not change then it's either full or empty, and if it's a dark juice she may be able to tell how much is there by the change in intensity or colour. Most e-liquids do steep to varying shades of light or dark brown.
    It's hard to get her to talk about what she actually can and can't see I knew her before her accident and the changes in her life since have made her very tight lipped about the whole injury.
    I know bright is more recognizable then pale and that she dose uses light to determine some things like how much milk is left.
    She hasn't tried to learn braille yet but there is hope.
    All the flavours she vapes ended up in similar shades even after steeping.
    I'm not sure if it will work with a tank but I'll see tomorrow.
    I literally can't be around her place every day but I'm there as much as I can be.
    gert, fabricator4 and staceman101 like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    It's hard to get her to talk about what she actually can and can't see I knew her before her accident and the changes in her life since have made her very tight lipped about the whole injury.
    I know bright is more recognizable then pale and that she dose uses light to determine some things like how much milk is left.
    She hasn't tried to learn braille yet but there is hope.
    All the flavours she vapes ended up in similar shades even after steeping.
    I'm not sure if it will work with a tank but I'll see tomorrow.
    I literally can't be around her place every day but I'm there as much as I can be.
    Off topic,
    but you sound like an amazing friend.
    Everyone needs a Boots in their life.
    btobw, 1ynne, Schtoo and 2 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman View Post
    A bit of google-fu came up with this.

Here's a range of food colourings in 10ml bottles

I have never used these. Safety wise I think you are in the great unknown.
    I've found a lot of place's that sell colours its the great unknown that prompted me to post lol
    Bassman and staceman101 like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast