Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: WS-3 usage notes

AVF Regular

WS-3 usage notes

After the co-op group buy for some WS-3 in powder form, I thought it best to post some usage notes for those who got some, and those that might do the same in the future.

Physical properties
    The crystals are fine needle-like structures. The powder tends to clump together and cling to even shiny dry surfaces. Rubbing the crystals tends to adhere them to the surface rather than brush them off. The best way of handling the powder is with a very small dry spoon or spatula. It's possible to measure very accurately, however the clumping nature can make it fiddly.

Solubility
    WS-3 is not significantly soluble in water or VG. It is soluble to 10.7% in PG and to much higher degrees in 95% ethanol. Dissolving 10% w/v in PG is recommended at this time. The first tests I did were at room temperature to 5% w/v in PG. I used a stir plate to assist, but found that most of the crystals had dissolved in about three minutes. Because of the success of this dilution at room temperature I decided to also try 10% w/v at room temperature. On the stir plate this had completely dissolved in less than 15 minutes. Possibly it finished earlier but that's when I checked it. I think dissolving the crystals by shaking should be perfectly possible, and the application of heat (50C for eg) would make it very easy. I was expecting it to be more difficult than dissolving menthol crystals but maybe because it's so fine it's actually easier.

I did some testing at various dilutions of the 10% concentrate.

This is only a guide, actual results may depend on personal sensitivity, other flavouring elements used etc. How forcefully you inhale, blow out your nose etc can affect it too. The harder you blow, the colder it gets. I think it is because blowing harder increases interaction of the WS-3 with the tissues.

My feeling is that the lack of solubility in water might be the WS-3 achilles heel. I think the potential cooling affect may be much greater than even these tests seem to show. I'd very much like to do some testing using ethanol as the carrier because I think it may increase the effect.

As with all cooling agents, I find my sensitivity to it gets less with prolonged frequent use. (That's why it took me 24 hours to complete the testing)

Safety
    WS-3 is a GRAS food additive. It's safe in the powder form but can cause extreme discomfort if used carelessly.
    Avoid powder contact with the eyes and mucous membranes. It can act as a irritant similar to chilli or chopping onions. It's not water soluble so can not be washed off easily. Doing so just seems to spread it around. Rubbing the skin also spreads it. Touching the face will eventually lead to it getting in the eyes.

In the case of contact I can recommend a full shower with soap and water, which seems to remove it from the skin, hair, eyebrows etc.

The bench, utensils, scales etc can be effectively cleaned of WS-3 using metho or other 95% ethanol product on paper towel.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 21-06-17 at 01:42 PM.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Images taken while doing the 5% mix on the stir plate. Sample is 10ml, and I did not heat it at all.

When first put on the stir plate crystals still in suspension:

Three minutes later, almost all dissolved.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 21-06-17 at 02:19 PM.
    laurie9300 and eLicky like this.

AVF Regular
    Thanks for posting fab! Can you compare it to koolada?

AVF Regular
    I don't have the FA Koolada here I'm afraid. I used it all, except for the dregs which were mostly flat plate crystals. I don't think it was WS-3 then (when I bought it). I was pretty underwhelmed actually.

The first good cooling agent I got was Hiliq, using it at 2%. I could have gone stronger but I was aware that it was quite expensive. I suspect it is WS-23 and very strong because you can dilute it a lot more in PG. I didn't go with the WS-23 because it has a much slower onset of the effect.

I've just this minute mixed up a batch of Blue slushy using the WS-3. I went with 4%. Because of the expense I've never gone full on with the cooling agent even when it really needed it, so the best I can do is compare this with the Hiliq mix.

Let me see... (drip, dribble, splodge.....)

Yep, very cold. Doesn't affect the flavour of the slushy at all, if anything it's a bit nicer. I can also now use it at 4 or even 6% if I want and not have to worry about chewing through a $30 bottle of cooling agent. I think I need this in a tank.

The advantage of the WS-3 is that the cool effect hits straight away, unlike the Hiliq which takes a few seconds. That means I can use it for a cool mouth feel across the tongue, but also as a cool throat hit.

If the FA Koolada is now WS-3 (or there is a WS-3 variant available as it looks like) then I'd expect it to be very similar to this - you'd need to use it in similar amounts.
    laurie9300 likes this.

AVF Regular
    Thanks for the notes Fab. My arms will get a good workout doing all the shakes!

I know I your previous post WS3 keeps very well in powder form, do you know if its the same diluted in PG?

AVF Regular
    I think i snorted too much of this while mixing.
    I'm terrible at mixing.. things got everywhere.
    Mixing in dropper bottles is not a good idea.
    Scales died on my half way through... so i have no idea how much powder is in the mix... doh.....
    My nose feels super cool now.....

AVF Regular
    Quick question.. Is it meant to be crystal clear after mixing up?
    Or is the fluffly crystal floating things in the pg an indicator of me putting more than 10%?
    My sloution looks abit chalky too... I think i'm doing this all wrong. LOL

Thanks Fab!
    Last edited by maxsmd; 23-06-17 at 06:13 PM.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by zeth View Post
    Thanks for the notes Fab. My arms will get a good workout doing all the shakes!

I know I your previous post WS3 keeps very well in powder form, do you know if its the same diluted in PG?
    I think it keeps very well diluted in PG, however... If it encounters extremely cold temperatures during storage it may recrystalise. If that happens just warm it up and shake...
    zeth likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by maxsmd View Post
    Quick question.. Is it meant to be crystal clear after mixing up?
    Or is the fluffly crystal floating things in the pg an indicator of me putting more than 10%?
    My sloution looks abit chalky too... I think i'm doing this all wrong. LOL

Thanks Fab!
    Yes it should be completely clear. Warm it up by dropping the (sealed) bottle in very hot water for a few minutes and then shake it up. If it is then very clear but you get crystals forming when it cools down, that would indicate you used more than 10.7%. Try adding a little more PG until they dissolve completely. If it does not crystalise when it cools then it was under this point, and just needed a bit of help.

Yep, snorting the powder is unforgettable.

ETA: It's helpful if the bottle is not completely full. A bit of head space gives it room to slosh and agitate more vigourously.

AVF Regular
    I've just added this to my grape flavour and it's amazing! Not sure what percentage though as I added a couple drops to my tank but I really love it, thanks again Fab

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast