Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Quantities...

AVF Regular

Quantities...

A question regarding clone recipes (99 Juices etc...)

Do the DIY peeps here go by the ml or the drops measurement?

Pretty much all recipe sites assume 20 drops = 1ml. However, I've measured it from my bottles, and 20 drops = approximately 0.5ml.

Some recipes work with drops... some are tasteless. Some are way too overpowering when using ml... some are perfect.

Guessing start with drops and work my way up, yeah?

(Side note... this wouldn't matter with shake and vape recipes, but I hate steeping a recipe for days, with eager anticipation, and then finding it doesn't have any perceptible flavour...)

Sent from my HTC 2PST1 using Tapatalk

AVF Regular
    I read that it depends on the size of the dropper which makes it an unreliable measurement. I mix mine in a medicine glass marked with mls which would put the purists in a dead faint.
    But if you use the same dropper for the whole mix it should be ok, surely.
    staceman101 likes this.

AVF Regular
    I make all my recipes by weight. Can't go wrong, that way. Unless my recipe is moose arse by design.

Mixing by drip is so perilous because there are so many variables.

Also, are you using the same brand concentrates, as that stated in the recipe? The difference in strength between brands can be huge.

Another factor to consider is your own taste. I made my own 'moose mothers milk', with a couple of slight variations from the clone. I mixed it at half the stated %, as I'm subtle.......... It was still too strong. 1/3 strength is just nice, for me, but obviously your tastes may be different.
    gert and staceman101 like this.
    Rabid non-smoker since 1630hrs 25/11/2016.

Pebble fondler, living life beyond the vertical.

AVF Regular
    Scales are supposed to be the best and easiest way,
    I havn't seen any in the shops tho-

{Rock moose, how can you vape a juice called Moose Mothers Milk.? lol.}
    How about a nice name-
    {like Mushroom Cloud, or Destruction of Carthage? }
    1ynne and staceman101 like this.

AVF Regular
    gert and staceman101 like this.

Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by gert View Post
    Scales are supposed to be the best and easiest way,
    I havn't seen any in the shops tho-

{Rock moose, how can you vape a juice called Moose Mothers Milk.? lol.}
    How about a nice name-
    {like Mushroom Cloud, or Destruction of Carthage? }
    Some of the names of my juices are absolute shockers, some are quite clever, most are as dull as a mud-flat. Lucky they are just for personal consumption.

I picked up my scales from jaycar, for about $80. weigh up to 1kg to three decimal places. Best accuracy i've had in a sub $300 scale.
    gert and fabricator4 like this.
    Rabid non-smoker since 1630hrs 25/11/2016.

Pebble fondler, living life beyond the vertical.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by staceman101 View Post
    A question regarding clone recipes (99 Juices etc...)

Do the DIY peeps here go by the ml or the drops measurement?
    mls are accurate, by weight is more accurate but also more problematic because you have to take into account the specific gravity of the ingredients which can all be different. On the other hand weight is more consistent, so if you are formulating a new recipe then it's not so important - you will always be able to measure the same amount with a high degree of accuracy.

Pretty much all recipe sites assume 20 drops = 1ml. However, I've measured it from my bottles, and 20 drops = approximately 0.5ml.
    Yep, it's an old standard from a time when they must have had huge honking drippers with bulbous ends - that's a huge drop. I think pharmaceuticals used to be administered "by drops" using a supplied dropper in the medicine bottle. You need to measure and calibrate your drops if you are doing things that way. Mine is about 43 drops/ml for PG, and less for VG. Most (but not all) flavours are PG based. Size of the dripper and viscosity of the liquid will affect the result. I give a method for calibrating drops in my article about testing flavours, since the test samples actually are still made by drops but carefully calibrated to be accurate for very small samples. Look at the second section "accuracy and callibration" : Tips for testing flavours

Some recipes work with drops... some are tasteless. Some are way too overpowering when using ml... some are perfect.
    I would avoid recipes that only use drops without giving any reference to the number of drops/ml. No-one does it that way any more, at least not on a recipe you are going to publish. I'd actually recommend that you work out how much of each flavour to use yourself. Different brands and even different batches can give different results. Some concentrates are overpowering in small amounts, some are so weak it makes you wonder if the vendor is diluting them.

Guessing start with drops and work my way up, yeah?
    I'd say start with mls and work your way to using scales when you get up to making larger volumes. The only exception would be if you are making the tiny test samples as per my article linked above. For syringes you will 1ml, 2.5ml, 5ml, 10ml and eventually larger sizes like 20ml ... 30ml etc. Glass syringes for the 20ml and 30ml are useful, because trying to draw viscous materials with the large ones can be very difficult, and it's very easy to pull the rubber plunger off. For even larger sizes, measuring cylinders or scales become the best method.

(Side note... this wouldn't matter with shake and vape recipes, but I hate steeping a recipe for days, with eager anticipation, and then finding it doesn't have any perceptible flavour...)
    Well the sense of taste is funny. Having something too strong can result in less perceived taste, or just an unpalatable chemical taste. That's why it's important to test the individual flavours yourself, so you know what the results are likely to be. Most of my liquids finish up being less than 10% total flavouring, which means all of those clone recipes would get halved by me right from the start.
    DocM, eLicky and staceman101 like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    if you sign into E liquid calc.. and add your concentrates.. they have the calculated the specific gravity of popular brands... and your recipes are then displayed showing % grams or ml - e-Liquid Calculator :: New recipe Ebay scales are cheapies.. for $16 worth having a play with but if you get serious it IS worth buying a proper scales as RM said
    DocM and staceman101 like this.

Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.

AVF Regular
    If youre quick you can sign up for Fabs The Science Of Vaping course...each issue includes parts to build an ego one mod and ce5 atomiser, the first issue is $2.99 and includes a drip tip, its the endless fortnights after that where he stings you for $21.99 for the rest of the parts

By the end of it you'll have a wealth of knowledge about the technical side of vaping and the worlds most expensive outdated setup
    gert, fabricator4, DocM and 2 others like this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by stylemessiah View Post
    If youre quick you can sign up for Fabs The Science Of Vaping course...each issue includes parts to build an ego one mod and ce5 atomiser, the first issue is $2.99 and includes a drip tip, its the endless fortnights after that where he stings you for $21.99 for the rest of the parts

By the end of it you'll have a wealth of knowledge about the technical side of vaping and the worlds most expensive outdated setup
    Must remember that the next time Mr. 11 here wants to buy into the next subscription POS...

As for drops, in isolation drops are great. I use drops to make up a few of the DIY liquids I like to have on hand but I don't publish those recipes and can't simply 'give' you those recipes as they are.

(that they're shoved into Excel and automatically calculated into ml means I could, if they were desirable.)

The problem is that the 'drop' is, as mentioned, dependent on several variables none of which are strictly controlled by purveyors of DIY mixing supplies. I've got flavours from a single supplier, same basic bottle, and the 'drop' per bottle and nozzle varies by maybe 30%. So each time I get a new one, I measure out 10-20-40 drops into a syringe (as a volume measure) and record how 'big' each drop is. A drop as a small measure is a nice thing, but their widespread use is limited to cooking recipes where they're a very small part of a much larger volume of 'stuff' and the wide variance is not a problem. I also tend to use these drops into larger mixes where a missed or extra drop isn't going to be of concern.

Weight is fine, I don't use it. Millilitres is what I use. Have no need for a super accurate scale to do by weight, and syringes of all manner of sizes are readily and economically available.

Stu.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast