Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By Katz-in-Boots
  • 3 Post By fabricator4
  • 6 Post By Crisscross

Thread: My First E Juice - Advice from Menthol Vapers?

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

My First E Juice - Advice from Menthol Vapers?

After vaping for 6.5 years I have finally got the courage to try mixing my own juice. Always smoked menthol and have been happily vaping 2 x different menthol cigarette style premixes from the US for all these years but money is tight so am having a go. I ran out of my regular daytime juice (and have been on nicotine withdrawal for a few days) and need something to vape now. Only just got my nicotine and some of these flavours & made them up today:

PG70/VG30 base 9ml
    Nicotine (200mg) .1ml (to make 2mg target strength)
    Juice Factory Real Cig .3ml
    FA Menthol .2ml
    FA Peppermint .1ml
    FA Liquirizia .1ml
    TPA Koolada .2ml

Tried it after about 1 hour, initial impressions: very warm surprisingly (no hint of menthol, peppermint or koolada), very harsh and woody, with a hint of used tea bag ?! (-which I am guessing is from the liquorice but my regular premix does have a hint of liquorice and I do like that flavour in it.)

I've read about the importance of steeping of course, but don't yet know what affect that has on development/balance of the flavours over a short time. Any thoughts/tips on correcting my balances quickly?
    DocM likes this.
    TRUTH - just like Taste - is Subjective

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Katz-in-Boots View Post
    After vaping for 6.5 years I have finally got the courage to try mixing my own juice. Always smoked menthol and have been happily vaping 2 x different menthol cigarette style premixes from the US for all these years but money is tight so am having a go. I ran out of my regular daytime juice (and have been on nicotine withdrawal for a few days) and need something to vape now. Only just got my nicotine and some of these flavours & made them up today:

PG70/VG30 base 9ml
    Nicotine (200mg) .1ml (to make 2mg target strength)
    Juice Factory Real Cig .3ml
    FA Menthol .2ml
    FA Peppermint .1ml
    FA Liquirizia .1ml
    TPA Koolada .2ml

Tried it after about 1 hour, initial impressions: very warm surprisingly (no hint of menthol, peppermint or koolada), very harsh and woody, with a hint of used tea bag ?! (-which I am guessing is from the liquorice but my regular premix does have a hint of liquorice and I do like that flavour in it.)

I've read about the importance of steeping of course, but don't yet know what affect that has on development/balance of the flavours over a short time. Any thoughts/tips on correcting my balances quickly?
    I'd recommend you introduce each element individually, and only go on to the next one once you know how it works in the liquid. You've got a lot going on there and you don't actually know what bits are wrong.

Also, given you don't have any other liquid, whatever you make has to be a shake'n'vape. There's no point making something that needs to be steeped for a month. You need it now. Later on when you find out how it steeps you can maybe make some adjustments.

There's nothing obviously wrong with your recipe, except that it's not exactly what you were looking for. My other observation is that I've used FA Koolada and I wasn't actually very impressed. One percent won't do very much: it's supposed to be WS-3 cooling agent (I believe) but it seems weaker than what I'm mixing up here from powder for example. I use my mix at 2% for cool and 4% for cold so I think you could safely double the amount you are using.

Do some tests with the Real Cig and find a better concentration. It could be the "harsh and woody" but you won't know until you try it on it's own. I'd recommend you drop the licorice completely for now until you get the other elements more in line, because it's going to run all over everything else and you won't know what you're doing. That would be my recommending for getting something fixed quickly.

A much longer path that will give you a better result in the long run (and therefore might actually be the 'best' fix) would be to test the flavours individually and then re-work your formulation based on that. Adjunct flavours can be very minor additions though - some of mine are half a percent which is not really enough to taste but it changes the character. For example I use a couple of percent of Bavarian Cream to smooth a tobacco flavour, and half a percent FA Nut Mix to give it some body.

Here's my tips for testing flavours individually: Tips for testing flavours

I can't test more than two or three flavours per day, and three would be really pushing it. I could probably speed things up if I took my first impressions more seriously. They are usually right and continuing to vape it just means it takes longer and I get flavour fatigue before I've achieved very much.

ETA: Menthol at 2% should be fine if you just want a mild menthol flavour. That's about what I use. Some people would want more but I like it as a little on the finish, and just a backnote on the exhale.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 19-07-17 at 04:39 PM.
    Katz-in-Boots, DocM and eLicky like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Katz just to get you by until you figure it out. Grab some sugar free mints from the supermarket and suck one while vaping unflavoured. Its almost the exact same flavourings as eliquids.
    gert, Katz-in-Boots, DocM and 3 others like this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    I'd recommend you introduce each element individually, and only go on to the next one once you know how it works in the liquid. You've got a lot going on there and you don't actually know what bits are wrong.

Also, given you don't have any other liquid, whatever you make has to be a shake'n'vape. There's no point making something that needs to be steeped for a month. You need it now. Later on when you find out how it steeps you can maybe make some adjustments.

There's nothing obviously wrong with your recipe, except that it's not exactly what you were looking for. My other observation is that I've used FA Koolada and I wasn't actually very impressed. One percent won't do very much: it's supposed to be WS-3 cooling agent (I believe) but it seems weaker than what I'm mixing up here from powder for example. I use my mix at 2% for cool and 4% for cold so I think you could safely double the amount you are using.

Do some tests with the Real Cig and find a better concentration. It could be the "harsh and woody" but you won't know until you try it on it's own. I'd recommend you drop the licorice completely for now until you get the other elements more in line, because it's going to run all over everything else and you won't know what you're doing. That would be my recommending for getting something fixed quickly.

A much longer path that will give you a better result in the long run (and therefore might actually be the 'best' fix) would be to test the flavours individually and then re-work your formulation based on that. Adjunct flavours can be very minor additions though - some of mine are half a percent which is not really enough to taste but it changes the character. For example I use a couple of percent of Bavarian Cream to smooth a tobacco flavour, and half a percent FA Nut Mix to give it some body.

Here's my tips for testing flavours individually: Tips for testing flavours

I can't test more than two or three flavours per day, and three would be really pushing it. I could probably speed things up if I took my first impressions more seriously. They are usually right and continuing to vape it just means it takes longer and I get flavour fatigue before I've achieved very much.

ETA: Menthol at 2% should be fine if you just want a mild menthol flavour. That's about what I use. Some people would want more but I like it as a little on the finish, and just a backnote on the exhale.
    Thanks, lots of useful thoughts here. Believe it or not, I did read your post about testing before starting this process and it did help. I know there are a few different flavours in my mix, but these are what I think I taste in my fave juice.

I've had another go, adjusted the flavours but am still getting wet teabag. I've tried the liquirizia on its own, it isn't that. Also tested my base Pg/VG with nicotine - the nicotine is where the harshness is coming from, however I am not great with maths & got the nic concentration wrong in that sample and there was a slight hint of rotting fish.
    My 2nd batch used Juice Factory Blended Tobacco instead of Real Cig, so it isn't that. The Blended Tobacco is fine in my 2nd juice mix I'm working on, no wet tea bag there. That mix has the tobacco, peppermint, chocolate and koolada, so the only diff is menthol in the first mix and chocolate in the second + only 1mg nicotine.

I've another batch I made late yesterday to try today, and if that isn't better I'll start again at the beginning with a tobacco & menthol mix and add other stuff one at a time liked I knew I should but was too impatient to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Crisscross View Post
    Katz just to get you by until you figure it out. Grab some sugar free mints from the supermarket and suck one while vaping unflavoured. Its almost the exact same flavourings as eliquids.
    Hahah, that is exactly what most menthol eliquids taste like, which is why I struggled with vaping to begin with. Menthol smokers need the tobacco taste as well.
    TRUTH - just like Taste - is Subjective