Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Custard tart/custard biscuit...

  1. #1
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    North East Victoria
    Posts
    517

    Custard tart/custard biscuit...

    Trying to come up with a good custard tart recipe.

    The below is my first attempt... and whilst it's come up tasting like a delicious custard biscuit, and one of the best custard variants I've made to date, it isn't custard tart.

    It's possible it will improve and get closer to what I want as it steeps, that remains to be seen... but I wonder if anyone has any suggestions.

    (Flavour notes... I anticipated the graham cracker would emulate a biscuit base, the cream and French vanilla would make a creamier custard and the cinnamon sugar cookie would work as cinnamon sprinkled on top...)

    The custard is the main event, my intention being custard tart...

    Custard tart / custard biscuit, V1
    6% custard
    3% graham cracker
    2% sweet cream
    1% cinnamon sugar cookie
    1% French vanilla deluxe.

    This is really nice - a juice I'd recommend other people making and vaping. But I want custard tart!!!

    Sent from my HTC 2PST1 using Tapatalk
    DocM likes this.

  2. #2
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Toowoomba (West)
    Posts
    7,897
    Quote Originally Posted by staceman101 View Post
    Custard tart / custard biscuit, V1
    6% custard
    3% graham cracker
    2% sweet cream
    1% cinnamon sugar cookie
    1% French vanilla deluxe.
    That's a lot of graham cracker, and could start to give a wheaty biscuit type flavour. If that's what you are getting, turn it down a bit to more of a background note.

    Also, steeping will let the custard come to come forward, while the biscuit may start to go AWOL. I'd recommend you age this for two to three weeks. I think this is a juice that you will formulate different depending on whether it's a shake'n'vape or if it's going to sit around for a bit.
    DocM, rockmoose and staceman101 like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

  3. #3
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    North East Victoria
    Posts
    517
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    That's a lot of graham cracker, and could start to give a wheaty biscuit type flavour. If that's what you are getting, turn it down a bit to more of a background note.

    Also, steeping will let the custard come to come forward, while the biscuit may start to go AWOL. I'd recommend you age this for two to three weeks. I think this is a juice that you will formulate different depending on whether it's a shake'n'vape or if it's going to sit around for a bit.
    It isn't wheaty, per se... but it is very biscuity. Quite nice to vape, and as mentioned, I'll need to see how it goes with steeping.

    Back to the drawing board for a bakery custard tart juice, though. I ate one yesterday, and wanted to reproduce the sensation without the calories

    Sent from my HTC 2PST1 using Tapatalk
    fabricator4, DocM and emu like this.

  4. #4
    emu
    emu is offline
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    3,024
    I was playing with that Flavourart "Joy" a while back, it has a nice bakery kinda taste but it's pretty strong so don't need much (says mr one percenter)

  5. #5
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,409
    Here's one of Dinner Lady's..its Lemon Tart, perhaps if you could leave out the lemon bits, you would be left with custard?

    Dinner Lady Lemon Tart - Le DIY pour les Nuls

    nice recipe though. Just wondering if you substitute Marshmallow for the lemon - might be a goer,

    Lots of custard recipes on that site, didnt see a tart though.

    https://www.lediypourlesnuls.com/recettes/
    Last edited by gert; 07-08-17 at 12:31 PM.
    DocM, SubyXV and staceman101 like this.

  6. #6
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    North East Victoria
    Posts
    517
    Quote Originally Posted by gert View Post
    Here's one of Dinner Lady's..its Lemon Tart, perhaps if you could leave out the lemon bits, you would be left with custard?

    Dinner Lady Lemon Tart - Le DIY pour les Nuls

    nice recipe though.
    That does look nice... but concentrates make up around 14% of the liquid. Specifically lemon concentrates make up 6%, 7.5% if you class meringue.

    Sent from my HTC 2PST1 using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,409
    Quote Originally Posted by staceman101 View Post
    That does look nice... but concentrates make up around 14% of the liquid. Specifically lemon concentrates make up 6%, 7.5% if you class meringue.

    Sent from my HTC 2PST1 using Tapatalk
    Here you go Staceman, this looks more tarty,

    fiddle the percentages, I think I would,

    https://www.lediypourlesnuls.com/cha...rlies-custard/
    DocM and staceman101 like this.

  8. #8
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Southern Vales, SA
    Posts
    3,165
    Quote Originally Posted by staceman101 View Post
    That does look nice... but concentrates make up around 14% of the liquid. Specifically lemon concentrates make up 6%, 7.5% if you class meringue.

    Sent from my HTC 2PST1 using Tapatalk
    When DIYing a recipe look more at the ratios used, rather than the percentages.

    I find all recipes far too strong for my liking, and usually halve, if not quarter the quantities stated. The ratios stay the same.

    I also think a lot of DIYers unwittingly over flavour unnecessarily, based on others recipes, thus perpetuating the myth that more flavouring equals better flavour.
    DocM and staceman101 like this.
    Rabid non-smoker since 1630hrs 25/11/2016.

    Pebble fondler, living life beyond the vertical.

  9. #9
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    North East Victoria
    Posts
    517
    Quote Originally Posted by rockmoose View Post
    When DIYing a recipe look more at the ratios used, rather than the percentages.

    I find all recipes far too strong for my liking, and usually halve, if not quarter the quantities stated. The ratios stay the same.

    I also think a lot of DIYers unwittingly over flavour unnecessarily, based on others recipes, thus perpetuating the myth that more flavouring equals better flavour.
    Agreed. I tend to cut most back significantly. Otherwise, a juice is overpowering rather than enjoyable.

    Sent from my HTC 2PST1 using Tapatalk
    rockmoose likes this.

  10. #10
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    North East Victoria
    Posts
    517
    Quote Originally Posted by gert View Post
    Here you go Staceman, this looks more tarty,

    fiddle the percentages, I think I would,

    https://www.lediypourlesnuls.com/cha...rlies-custard/
    That one looks lovely. I figured I might need a pie crust, but cake batter is also a good call. And yeah... that runs to about 20% flavour. A bit too high. But I'll play around with it.
    Cheers gert

    Sent from my HTC 2PST1 using Tapatalk
    DocM likes this.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.4
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
All times are GMT +11. The time now is 10:12 AM.