Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Veteran Vapers - What ejuice is most closest to the orginal RY4?

AVF Regular

Veteran Vapers - What ejuice is most closest to the orginal RY4?

came across this interview with the eGo pen maker, Ludo from Janty

https://www.caferacervape.com/blogs/...tobacco-flavor

Apparently, it was Ludo from Janty that created RY4 with Dekang. I had always thought that RY4 was originally a Ruyan ejuice, but it was merely named after Hon Lik's Ruyan.

Apparently, some people from Dekang left, and they produced their own company, Hangsen. The flavour was then lost in the vapour.

Just found out, the person who was in the lab that afternoon with Ludo, and helped create RY4, may have been Jide Yao, CEO of Hangsen who worked for Dekang at the time.

But if there was anyone to trust on the original RY4, itd be those who created and stole the original in my opinion.

Hangsen have 4 version RY1, RY2, RY3 and RY4

Ive tried Hangsen RY4 asnd found it a tad bit too desert-like. I much prefer RY3 as it still has that tobacco-ness that I like.

Im curious though, if anyone was around during the time of the orginal RY4, and if any of todays ejuices od concentrates resemble the original.
    Last edited by PurpleVapes; 28-08-17 at 10:18 PM.
    gert and emu like this.

AVF Regular
    Apparently, if you want the true upgrade to RY4, it would be this; https://www.caferacervape.com/products/lucky-13-0mg

Lucky 13, made by the orginal RY4 creator

I wonder how it compares to Halo's Tribeca.

edit: just noticed that Janty still sell a RY4 : http://usa.janty.com/index.php?optio...450&Itemid=177
    Last edited by PurpleVapes; 28-08-17 at 09:59 PM.
    AllyP likes this.

emu
    AVF Regular
    That's interesting PV, I'd love to try the original Ry4. Tried heaps of different ones over the years and only a couple were similar to each other, be excellent to sample a batch from the original maker.
    PurpleVapes likes this.

AVF Regular
    Found this comment by Fatman from back in the day

Fatman

Ahhhh Its good being OLD and having been around vaping a long time
    RY4 .... Despite all the above is a RUYAN flavour ... Ruyan were THE FIRST commercial electronic cigarette
    THey were horribly expensive ($300+in 2004 ) and actually used an ultrasonic mister and a coil ... only the first model had the mister set-up
    cheaper ($150+ ) models followed in 2005 like the modern cigar versions , and they set the Std for what is the e-cig we know today
    There were originally 4 different blends of fluid RY1, RY2,RY3, and our beloved RY4 The RY being an abbreviation for RuYan
    RY4 was the most popular by an avalanche and as such , when other e-cigs came out , the race was on to produce a fluid similar to Ruyans top preferred blend .... RY4 today has VERY little in common with the original RY4

Now Granpa is going back to the couch for a nap
    Here's what I think happened.

Ruyan had flavours 1, 2, 3 and 4.

Number 4 was most popular,

Janty (device maker) and Dekang/Boge (juice maker) set out to copy RY4.

They came up with their own.

Something happened at Dekang/Boge to make Jide Yao leave.

Jide began selling the RY4 as we see it today in Hangsen RY4, and decoded to sell the other flavours he and Ludo came up with on that Sunday Afternoon. (Ry1,2 and 3)

Then everyone else came up with their own RY4. (Became more of a juice style ; caramel vanilla tobacco)

Ludo eventually started up caferacer and sold the new improved RY4 Lucky13.

Someone needs to make a movie about this.
    Last edited by PurpleVapes; 28-08-17 at 10:56 PM.
    Fatman likes this.

CMB
    AVF Regular
    I had the old Dekang version and the closest thing to that now would be TFA RY4 Asian.

Never tried the original.

I still daily vape RY4's but these days you would probably call them dessert flavours as I mix in things like butterscotch, marzipan, torrone etc.
    PurpleVapes and emu like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by CMB View Post
    I had the old Dekang version and the closest thing to that now would be TFA RY4 Asian.

Never tried the original.

I still daily vape RY4's but these days you would probably call them dessert flavours as I mix in things like butterscotch, marzipan, torrone etc.

Whats the best vanilla to add?

Custards, Vanilla Creme or swirl have yeilded less than satisfactory results.

emu
    AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleVapes View Post

Vanilla Gelato is pretty awesome in tobacco.

AVF Regular
    It's certainly confusing history. I don't get why Ludo would call it Ruyan nr 4 or RY4 if he wanted to name it after Hon Lik. Surely it would be HL4? Ruyan was the company, and by that time I think Hon Lik was no longer associated with it. Hon Lik was with Dragonite enterprises, owned mostly by Imperial Tobacco.

It would make sense if RY4 was originally a tobacco flavour. The idea is to take a tobacco base and add adjunct flavourings like caramel and vanilla - and I think this is what they were working on. With popularity and over time the caramel took over and the real tobacco disappeared. I think the best way to get a more original RY4 would be to make your own, and that is in fact the inspiration for my ADV - strangely though, I came at it from the other direction. I used one of the RY4 flavours (It was either FA or TFA) and started adding other adjuncts including a very strong tobacco in minute amounts. Over time I switched from using RY4 as a base and moved to a proper tobacco base but kept all of the adjuncts.

It seems that eventually everything comes back to "RY4" LOL
    emu likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

CMB
    AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleVapes View Post

I use TFA Vanilla Swirl wihich is just a nice plain jane vanilla without any egginess that you get in the custards or icecreams. How much of the swirl have you used?

One I am vaping now which is yum is

TFA RY4 Double 4%
    TFA Vanilla Swirl 3%
    FW Butterscotch Ripple 3%
    TFA Pistachio 3%
    INW Biscuit 2%

If you want to make it a bit more interesting and bring out some more notes in the tobacco add 1% FA Torrone. It kind of adds a really faint citrus flavour and makes the tobacco taste a bit more like real tobacco.

Another variation is to replace the Pistachio with 2% FW Hazelnut and 1% FA Marzipan, that kind of gives it a sweet hazelnut and almond note.

Aside from the above flavours my RY4 toolkit also contains Acetyl Pyrazine and FA Caramel.

AVF Regular
    Made up HS RY3 and RY4 side by side to really test them.

Yep, RY3 wins by a landslide.

RY4 just has too much ethyl Malto for my liking.

RY3 is right on the money.

I might mix the RY4 with the SC Virginia at a 1:4 mix.
    Last edited by PurpleVapes; 01-09-17 at 10:40 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast