Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By fabricator4
  • 2 Post By fabricator4

Thread: Using ethritol

AVF Regular

Using ethritol

Hi all i recently got some ethritol solution in vg. It's a 5% solution.
    I have tried finding what% to be using this solution in but haven't really found anything solid.

Its supposed to be 4/5times stronger than EM but with a much higher temperature breakdown point(less gunk on coils).
    Just wondering if anyone has experience using this sweetener and what % you are using it at.
    Tnx all

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny76 View Post
    Hi all i recently got some ethritol solution in vg. It's a 5% solution.
    I have tried finding what% to be using this solution in but haven't really found anything solid.

Its supposed to be 4/5times stronger than EM but with a much higher temperature breakdown point(less gunk on coils).
    Just wondering if anyone has experience using this sweetener and what % you are using it at.
    Tnx all

EM doesn't gunk up the coils much, it's sucralose that is the real problem. Sucralose can start to break down and form chloropropanols at as low as 120C.
    https://www.nature.com/articles/srep09598
    It's important to note that most concentrates sold as sweetener are sucralose (FA, TFA etc).

EM on the other hand doesn't start to degrade until it reaches about 280C. I normally vape at 200-240C, below the temperature that VG starts to break down probably much the same as most people, because burning VG is unpleasant. I can't speak for everyone though, but it's possible that it contributed to coil fouling on second generation devices that did not have efficient airflow. Sorry, I can't find the reference for the degradation temperature of EM at the moment.

EM seems to have been maligned by the "sweeteners gunk up coils" concerns, which is mainly to do with sucralose. If you want to buy EM rather than sucralose, you should buy the cotton candy flavour rather than the "sweetener". eg FA cotton candy is EM while sweetener is sucralose.
    Another way to make sure you have EM is to buy EM crystals and make the working solution yourself by dissolving it in PG.

I use EM at 0.5 to 1%, and the only thing I use that in is to take the edge off a naturally extracted coffee which is too bitter otherwise (for me). Based on that and your findings that it's about four or five times stronger (sweeter?) than EM, I'd suggest 0.1% to 0.5% would be in the ball park depending on what you want to achieve, possibly up to 1% if you want really sweet. I'd advise testing the erythritol on its own to determine the effects and the ideal percentage. I have a sticky thread in the DIY section about testing flavours.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 26-11-17 at 12:22 PM.
    Danny76 likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    I found this on the website that i bought it from but nowhere does it recommend what %to use it in.

. Erythritol is EXTREMELY heat stable and similar in glycerol in heat performance, withstanding temperatures up to 625F without degradation or major mass loss. This is a performance sweetener if there is one.

“Erythritol is a 4 carbon saturated sugar alcohol, very similar to VG, which is a 3 carbon sugar alcohol. However, Erythritol is significantly sweeter in solution, comparable to 1/4 – 1/2 the sweetness of sucralose in vaping solutions.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny76 View Post
    I found this on the website that i bought it from but nowhere does it recommend what %to use it in.

. Erythritol is EXTREMELY heat stable and similar in glycerol in heat performance, withstanding temperatures up to 625F without degradation or major mass loss. This is a performance sweetener if there is one.

“Erythritol is a 4 carbon saturated sugar alcohol, very similar to VG, which is a 3 carbon sugar alcohol. However, Erythritol is significantly sweeter in solution, comparable to 1/4 – 1/2 the sweetness of sucralose in vaping solutions.
    This blurb for a commercial product claims heat stability of 160C: https://bodyecology.com/articles/ery...substitute.php

That information you read on the website has given the boiling point of erythritol (625F, 330C) as the maximum stable temperature. They are NOT the same thing. Take that information (by your vendor) with a grain of, well, sugar. ;-)

Edit: Oh, and I'd expect Erythritol to have some cooling effect too which might mean you may not want to use it at higher percentages in some things. I'd still advise you to test it before using it in recipes.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 26-11-17 at 02:03 PM.
    Danny76 and Gandalf like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.