Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Is battery overcharge protection located in the charger or the eGo battery?

Is battery overcharge protection located in the charger or the eGo battery?

Recently I purchased an eGo portable charging case. As has been noted in a number of reviews, a big downside to the case is that when your eGo battery has been fully charged, there is no indicator to inform you of that. All that happens is that when you screw your eGo battery into the Portable charger case, the eGo battery's light flashes 5 times. But there is no signal to tell you when it has been fully charged.

Normally, using standard eGo 420mA charger, the little LED light on the charger will turn from red to green to indicate that the battery is fully charged.

The lack of full-charge indicator in the portable eGo charger case is not that big of a deal for me, as long as I know there is still overcharge protection present in these devices. I am a little concerned about the overcharging issue. Is the safety circuitry that protects a battery from overcharging and causing a GruffySeat, located in the eGo battery itself, or is it located in the charger?

If there is no overcharge protection from the portable charger to the eGo battery, could this setup potentially be dangerous?

Note: The Portable Charger Case has an Red/Green LED to indicate when itself is fully charged. But there is just no indicator letting you know when it has fully charged the eGo battery inside of it.

Super Moderator
    you are charging a lithium battery from another lithium battery, they can be left connected together for ever, it cannot overcharge while not being charged itself.
    I doubt there will any smarts to indicate full charge.
    As the difference in voltage between the batterys reduces, the current will drop to close to zero, but one of them math things .. it will never get to zero.
    the last little bit will take forever.
    there will be some sort of current limiting

normal ego charger has a higher voltage in than 4.2 so it needs to turn off, your pcc does not.
    the ego battery is dumb in both situations, it has no idea whats going on and is incapable of stopping itself being ivercharged I think.
    marty likes this.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    you are charging a lithium battery from another lithium battery, they can be left connected together for ever, it cannot overcharge while not being charged itself.
    I doubt there will any smarts to indicate full charge.
    As the difference in voltage between the batterys reduces, the current will drop to close to zero, but one of them math things .. it will never get to zero.
    the last little bit will take forever.
    there will be some sort of current limiting

normal ego charger has a higher voltage in than 4.2 so it needs to turn off, your pcc does not.
    the ego battery is dumb in both situations, it has no idea whats going on and is incapable of stopping itself being ivercharged I think.
    Technically, if the eGo charger (edit: I meant battery) is more charged than the PCC, would the charge flow in the opposite direction?

Apologies if my knowledge on electricity are somewhat stupid. lol.
    Last edited by marty; 16-04-13 at 02:25 PM. Reason: edit

do you mean if the battery was more charged than the pcc?

Except for one cigarette on 29 June 2014. R.I.P. Charlie Brown and Charlotte, the sweetest little dogs ever, loved by all who met them.

Super Moderator
    assuming you mean battery and not charger .. no it wont go the other way, the switch electronics stops it.
    marty likes this.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

Quote Originally Posted by kay67kay View Post
    do you mean if the battery was more charged than the pcc?
    Yes, sorry, that's what meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    assuming you mean battery and not charger .. no it wont go the other way, the switch electronics stops it.
    Thanks

Super Moderator
    i am making a rather broad assumption by the way, that the PCC has no boost electronics in it.
    I could well be incorrect there.
    I assume this as it would be relatively simple to add a LED then to indicate charging state as it would need to turn off.
    Robray likes this.

don't worry, marty. i put the wrong words sometimes, too. it's difficult for the brain to keep up with the fingers and vise versa for some of us

Except for one cigarette on 29 June 2014. R.I.P. Charlie Brown and Charlotte, the sweetest little dogs ever, loved by all who met them.

wow, that's some first post *blinks*

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by kay67kay View Post
    wow, that's some first post *blinks*
    its called spam kay, active link in sig .. gone now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast