Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Mech Mods and Batteries

Mech Mods and Batteries

Kind and wise folk of AVF, could both of you please consider adding to this, and correcting my more obvious errors and misconceptions;

Subject Mech Mods.
    A number of us are moving to mech mods, away from, or up from, eGos and VV/VW devices. With a the joy of owning a menh mod, there's new factors to consider and I haven't found a single, simple resource to refer to. I'm going to assume that the choice has been made already or the choice is imminent. What factors should I consider?

A mech mod is;
    Mechanical, ergo the mech part. It has no electronics, generally no soldering and few or no wires. The premise is to give up the battery power (volts and amps) to the attomiser (resistance) with the least interference in the electrical path. While this is especially important for people who wind low resistance coils and need the most available current, it also makes sense that as much of your battery's power goes to vaping and not be wasted along the way heating up electronics and switches etc.

Batteries
    Use best quality, high current drain, protected cells.
    The quality issue here is important for not just the usual reasons of quality but the higher current capacity batteries have the least internal resistance and waste less power heating themselves up.
    Protection circuits are very important to avoid any issues with excess current causing venting, flames and other bad things from the battery. Mech mod users tend to experiement more with attys and the risk of a short circuit is more frequent.

How do I know when to change the battery if there's no flashing light, alarm, display advice?
    In my experience, when using the same attomiser for one charge cycle, I notice that when it's super fresh it's hotter stronger vape. During the middle part of the charge it's stable and where I like it by my choice of attomiser resistance and the juice I use. Towards the end of the charge cycle is where I have trouble determining when the change the battery. As we know, lithium ion batteries are harmed when we discharge them to far, ie; let them get flat as flat. Thankfully the better quality batteries that have protection circuits are also protected from over discharge by the protection circuit.

When my taste buds are working properly I can tell when the battery is getting weak by the change in flavour and vape, it's just less. Over time I can develop an understanding, this mod, this battery this many hours/vapes before I need to change it. I also tend to change mine more frequently than I need to to ensure they never get too flat and my vape experience remains in the middle and fresh area.

Cleaning
    Because of their nature, mech mods demand more cleaning than a pickup and putdown eGo. This is especially true of the contacts that make up the switch. To get the most out of your mech mod, you should feel comfortable with learning how to spend a few minutes with some non-residue leaving fluid and wipe vigorously at the bits of the switch that make the battery circuit complete. If you are using low resistance coils, every bit of resistance in the body add up and reduce overall effectiveness. Brass, copper and aluminium make good conductors, steel less so. If you aren't sure, pose a question on the forum like "Hey, I've got this Mech Bastard Vape, anyone got good tips n tricks for cleaning and maintenance?"

Other things that make a mech mod experience different to an eGo are? (this is where you lot add wisdom in words that are not full of the assumption that a current eGo user would know)
    Last edited by MrGruffy; 10-05-13 at 10:20 PM.

That's brilliant this is exactly what new folks need to be reminded of when switching from ego or vv/vw mods to all these new mechanical mods. Probably another comment would be to maybe install a fuse as added protection. I know the telescopes (like the k100) have the room and it was what I would have put in for my own peace of mind.

Stoney (I think) has posted on the safety fuse somewhere, credibly and coherently arguing against it when used with Best Batteries with protection.
    Last edited by MrGruffy; 10-05-13 at 12:16 PM.

Not saying I'm wise, but good at making mistakes and sometimes learning...

I think the most important thing to look for in a mech mod is very decent batts - like the green protected ones SS has - my understanding is that they also cut out at the right depletion level. The only reason you might run unprotected is to squeeze crazy high current, and if you must do that, make sure your atty and mod is good quality - loose fittings / dodgy insulators obviously being the issue. In those circumstances your inner grass hopper will tell you when to change the batt.

Yes the efficiency thing, but in practice available joules is reduced by higher discharge rates and the genesis builds are often quite inefficient in themselves compared to a similar vape from silica/hemp.

A good switch design that is easy to service.

Kickability if/when you decide to jump ship.
    Fatman and MrGruffy like this.
    If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding...

Super Moderator
    So why do people then go and kick these mech mods? Advantage of a kick over just getting a vv or vw device or whatever it is a kick does to a mech mod?
    anth likes this.
    Anything I write on AVF is purely my opinion and should never be read as fact!
    Please read the AVF rules: http://forums.aussievapers.com/forum...ions-bans.html

Quote Originally Posted by mrsgruffy View Post
    So why do people then go and kick these mech mods? Advantage of a kick over just getting a vv or vw device or whatever it is a kick does to a mech mod?
    Good question and I would say there is no advantage unless you want a ceiling of 10 watts for some reason. I constantly here these comments that are simply wrong that your juice will taste burnt after you go over 12 watts. This may be a generalization targeted at carto users that may hold true for them but is complete nonsense for those of us who build our own wicks and coils at 1 ohm or lower and frequently vape at 16 watts or higher without any burning at all. I am using a 1 ohm coil right now in a mech and the vapour quality is outstanding.
    Last edited by second_chance; 10-05-13 at 10:54 PM.

Super Moderator
    adding a kick adds boost/buck ability to give the mod constant power .. between 5 and 10W anyway.

Only real reason to do this over buying a VW mod is because they have a soft spot for the mod since the kick is often more expensive than a modern VW, you also need to source or have 18500 batteries unless its capable of expanding another 15mm to accommodate the kick.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by second_chance View Post
    This may be a generalization targeted at carto users that may hold true for them but is complete nonsense for those of us who build our own wicks and coils at 1 ohm or lower and frequently vape at 16 watts or higher without any burning at all.
    How do you know its 16W cause I would wager a bet its not.
    its probably closer to 12 in actuality.

Freshly charged ncr18650b in a hex with a 0.9Ω coil .. 12.5W was the best I could get out of it, and that for about 30 seconds after a charge.
    Noe, Stabs and fabricator4 like this.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

Quote Originally Posted by mrsgruffy View Post
    Agreed, but I meant *after* you work out that you don’t like mech mods - you can leverage your investment. I live in 6-8W land now and kept my EA mech mod because it’s bomb proof and I like the form factor - adding a kick was cheaper than taking a haircut through selling it to buy another provari. Just good to keep options open for those considering a mech mod.
    Milkman_ likes this.

Low ohm coil no need for a kick
    evil bloke and second_chance like this.
    Move along!!! Nothing to see here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast