Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: sub ohm coils?

sub ohm coils?

So i hear everyone talking about sub ohm coils and everyone seems to want to achieve them.. I'd understand that on a variable voltage mod but a mechanical thats putting through 4.2 - 3.7volts?

So i can do a 3/4 wrap of 28g and achieve a .8 - .9ohm reading but it heats up too much on my mechanical and just tastes burnt. Am i missing something? Do you pulse the coils while inhaling or what? I didnt like it so went to a 4 wrap 30g setup and am reading 1.6ohm and has no burnt taste.

Im just curious as to whether im doing something wrong or some people like it this way. This is on my Gus with an ac9 on top

Yes, can someone please explain to me why low resistance is the thing? It just seems like a complete pain in the arse always trying not to cook these things?
    Please support the fight against the WA ban on the sale of vaping equipment!

sub ohm vaping...hmmmm.... really depends i guess. If its done with kanthal, it can take more of a beating, but i would be to sketchy on the battery. They aren't meant to be discharged at that speed. If they are, its pushing the limits (i could be wrong) but i have had cells fail on me before, even an iphone cell and it puffed up like a balloon. chucked the thing like a live grenade lol

IMHO i think its just a passing fad. People just like to look at the massive plumes they are creating. That, and vaping has been catching on in the US so its more of a showy thing maybe. But yes, to me the risk far out weighs the benefits
    JenJ likes this.

2x SS GGTS, 2x GGTS, 2x UFS, 2x Ody + extension kit, 2x GG Slim, GGTB, 2x Provari, Reo Grand Kicked, 2 x cyclone with AFC, ERA RBA, 2x Quasar, 2x Tohb, 2x Zenith V2, Nemesis, Hades, Supermax, Copper Black Stingray JiB box mod and so much more

Well I like it, but the wicking has to keep up or you will get that burning taste. I use mechanicals for sub ohm vaping and VV/VW for higher ohms.

Also the batteries don't last as long so I have lots of spares on hand.

RC

CMB
    I like to be able to take shorter drags and get the same hit as I would off a longer drag with a higher resistance coil. Generally though I will shoot for around the 1.2 ohm mark on a genesis and mech mod.

If it is tasting burnt it is likely not wicking properly or the coil may have some issues, eg hot spots or too loose etc.

its really about achieving high wattage rather than sub ohms.

a sub ohm coil is what makes it possible.

Your wicking and airflow needs to keep up of course.

Just ran my multi over my current setup.

Battery output 4.1v
    output at the posts 3.75v
    coil resistance 0.9ohm

This gives me around 15 watts, which is more than my zmax can do.

I'm using an igo-l with a hybrid wick and about a 1.5mm air hole on a k100 mod with a efest 18490 battery that is pretty fresh.

The voltage drop on the k100 isn't too shabby for such a cheap piece of kit =)

Oh and vaping Krit's Alchemy at 70% VG

i guess it depends how far 'sub ohm' your going. i would venture into .7-.9 ohm but some of the setups where i see people setting up a quad coil .3 ohm RBA....thats where i start getting worried. The amp draw from that would be tremendous on a battery. I would hate to see a failure and then the battery blowing up. That would be bye bye to vaping as the media would be all over it. Just takes a few bad cases and its all over.

2x SS GGTS, 2x GGTS, 2x UFS, 2x Ody + extension kit, 2x GG Slim, GGTB, 2x Provari, Reo Grand Kicked, 2 x cyclone with AFC, ERA RBA, 2x Quasar, 2x Tohb, 2x Zenith V2, Nemesis, Hades, Supermax, Copper Black Stingray JiB box mod and so much more

Generally, vaping at .6-.9 is sufficient to achieve the desired effect from sub ohm coils.

Some of the benefits drawn from that level when everything is set up well includes:

More vapor, better flavor on some juices and a greater throat hit. However, your mesh has to be rolled such that supplying the juice to the coils is constant and does not slow down. For these purposes, I generally prefer a straw wick, leaving about a 1mm hole running through the entire straw. Rolling the mesh around a needle or a 14ga needle helps. 18ga needle works well too, just don't roll it as tight

I've never experienced my mod heating up at sub ohms, and I vape at .6-.8 ohms on a very regular basis. A mod heating up (from my experience) could be due to either dirty threads in the mod, shorting of the atty/wires or your battery does not have sufficient amps to handle the high wattage.

Hope this helps, happy vaping!!

Quote Originally Posted by misterlifter View Post
    For these purposes, I generally prefer a straw wick,..
    Straw!? As in dried grass?
    Please support the fight against the WA ban on the sale of vaping equipment!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast