Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree232Likes

Thread: Mod explodes at Vapeblast 2.0 cloud chasing competition

AVF Regular

Mod explodes at Vapeblast 2.0 cloud chasing competition

Vape Show Attendees Remain Calm Despite Possible Tragedy | Vapor Digest

Vape Show Attendees Remain Calm Despite Possible Tragedy
    Patrick V* Butson, VAPOR DIGEST (08/18/14)

The explosion occurred at around 8:00 pm last Saturday Night. When I heard it, my first thought was “someone just got hurt “.

My VAPOR DIGEST booth at the VapeBlast 2.0 Expo in San Antonio, TX was only about 50 feet from the blast.

As I rushed over to see what happened, a large circle of people of had formed around a darkened spot on the floor where the explosion occurred. As shocked as I was to hear the explosion (it became quickly obvious to everyone that a mod had just exploded), I was equally surprised to see how calmly everyone reacted. No one panicked.

The first concern on everyone’s mind was not “Who Did It?” but “Is Everyone OK?”. It was only after it was established that there were no injuries, that we all realized how lucky we were that this incident was not a full blown tragedy.

There were shrapnel marks on several of the ceiling tiles overhead, one tile was completely taken out

Though the explosion occurred during a cloud competition, the mod that blew up was not owned by any of the competitors in the contest. It was owned by one of the observers and no one was able to definitively identify who it was.

I use to love watching the cloud competitions at vape gatherings, but things have been getting more and more out of hand lately. I hope that this incident can be utilized as a rallying point for Mod Safety so nothing like this ever happens again.

To the great credit of both the Vape Blast 2.0 Show Management and the cloud competition organizers, the competition was cancelled. Everyone in attendance understood that this was the correct course of action, and the rest of the evening was hushed and subdued as conversations focused on the importance of safety

With the help of bystanders, I was able to gather some of the pieces of the mod that blew up. (see photo below). A professional photographer, Alexz Sheppard of Tough Blood Imagery was also there and he sent me some of his pictures from the scene.

Contrary to the above article, an eyewitness says that the owner of the mod was indeed part of the cloud chasing competition.

The guy was in the cloud comp. He was standing to the side of the stage. He had dry cotton on his atty that was to be dripped on by a lady helping to run the cloud comp. As she began dripping on his atty he began to pulse it. after a few sec he dropped the mod damn near between her feet. soon as it blew he ran off.

Apparently the mod was a China clone of the Mutant mod. From the original modder's FB page:

I have thoroughly tested the venting of the authentic Mutant with many steps, I have purposely venting several batteries by hard shorting them intentionally, glad to see that no one was hurt. Safe vaping is paramount with Fallout Mods as well as to maintain integrity within the vape community. The moral of this story is don't buy a clone and don't modify the switch
    some of the mutant clones were manufactured with oversized magnets and would not fire, therefore some ppl took matters into their own hands and sanded down the internals of the button slug until it fired, changing the tolerance of the throw essentially making it super easy for it to autofire. Because china reversed engineered it when they stole the design and use child labor and shitty production standards they obviously lost tolerance within the internals. I designed the mod with very precise measurements....its not designed to modify
    ಠ_ಠ

AVF Regular
    wow! had to happen eventually - one for the mainstream press to get hold of - pisses me off really but what can we do

AVF Regular
    kin idiots / cretins / morons
    Fatman, RichoVonBlack, Jas and 2 others like this.

Idiots like these cloud chasing f#ckwits are what is going to cause serious problems for vaping. Nothing but bravado and egoism. No brains or regard for the community at large.

Add to them, unengineered counterfeits, and we are going to be seeing more and more of this. Vaporgeddon here we come.
    Jas and lheamfrg like this.

AVF Regular
    I hope everybody's snap back hats were ok. Much love yo.

So lucky no one was injured. I wonder if the public liability insurers of the conventions and shops that are holding these competitions are aware of exactly what is going on?

AVF Regular
    I hope everyone's happy enough with 2nd gen gear, because if this keeps happening and god help us if it happens locally, it's going to be the quickest way to get all 3rd gen gear declared unsafe and banned.

As for what we can do? Perhaps it's time the "vaping community" started thinking about the 900 million smokers on the planet that could be helped by it. Even at at lowly 10% uptake it'd still be 90 million people spared the ravages of continuing to smoke.

The rise of the "cloud competitions" being held and actively promoted are doing no one any favours, especially smokers looking on and thinking "maybe I'll just try the gum again or get some champix".
    ssstahly, Browny and Vaporific like this.

AVF Regular
    thank God for Darwin.
    Vaporific likes this.
    amount saved by not smoking: $lots
    amount spent on vaping: $not enough

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewey View Post
    Idiots like these cloud chasing f#ckwits are what is going to cause serious problems for vaping. Nothing but bravado and egoism. No brains or regard for the community at large.
    You've been awarded 10 out 10 points for the above post. Please call in at the office to collect your prize.
    Fatman likes this.

Never enjoyed a coil under 0.6 but understand why people do. That being said this is indeed getting out of hand organisers of these "cloud chasing" events need to take some responsibility and set clearly defined rules for lowest allowable ohm reading and check each atty before a contestant starts. An even playing field seems like a more "skilled" endeavour around which to base a pretend sport anyway ...

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast