Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Wicking with cotton

emu
    AVF Regular
    Tree's use capillary action to draw water from the ground all the way up to the leaves and if it's a big tree that's a long way, trees are packed very tightly and it works for them hahaha. Best and only way to find out is do it yourself and see what happens.
    Fatman, rodbam, act180 and 1 others like this.

AVF Regular
    I watched part 1-4 of Morton's wicking vids last night and to me it's conclusive enough that a tight wick draws more liquid into the coil than a loose one. Part 4 is more realistic with the horizontal coils in a genisis style.

The air flow experiments I found super interesting too. I like him, nice to hear a different accent from someone who's not trying to act cool or over the top too.

Since I've started building, I've always kind of wondered why no-one seems to be explaining the science behind it (with evidence to back it up) and this guy has a good go at it. He says in one of the vids that he has never used a tank at all, only RDAs and clearly he is a high wattage guy (he converts his pulse BF into a series mod with dual 18350 batts in another vid).

Haven't watched it yet but another vid looks to prove that flat wire beats round wire.
    rodbam and emu like this.

emu
    AVF Regular
    You can't brush aside hard evidence like Chapman does, I'll be having a play with tight wicking later today just to see for myself. I have a roll of flat wire so I'll give that a go and compare it to round and Juggernaut when I get into it, good excuse to go building..!
    rodbam and act180 like this.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    In my experience I've found a tighter wick definately does wick better, you can see it in big coils.. Example I'm running alien framed staples right now, with about as tight as it could be without having to compact it tighter, there's definately a way it just drinks the juice compared to a looser fit wick, I haven't wicked a fused Clapton with as much wick as this but it might be worth a shot.
    act180 likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rodbam View Post
    Fab why do you say the tight wick is mainly for dripping attys & not tank attys? In his #4 video his wick & coils were placed on the board just like they would be in the Genesis type tanks, Siren Ares & Avocado etc.
    Or is it just the Scottish roll wicks are not for Tank attys?
    You use almost an entire cotton pad for a Scottish roll. That will just choke most RTAs.

Sent from my B1-730 using Tapatalk
    rodbam likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    You use almost an entire cotton pad for a Scottish roll. That will just choke most RTAs.

Sent from my B1-730 using Tapatalk
    That and due to the small amout of room on most RTA decks, the break angles just kink the tails making it obvious its a bad idea in there
    rodbam likes this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

AVF Regular
    Well I just tried a tight as fk wick on the serpent smm and it's wicking perfectly. So all these are with fused claptons - SMM, Bonza, Goon, Pulse 22 this is definitely working well for me. With dry cotton in the coil, squonking alone quickly saturates inside the coil. I had to paint the coil to get the cotton wet inside before, now that doesn't seem necessary. Definitely convinced.

With the SMM I only pushed a bit more than half the tail through the holes because too much cotton. Works awesome.
    Danny76 and ChefOne like this.

emu
    AVF Regular
    The kink angles are a good thing if you're looking for tight compaction of the cotton, re-built the deck on the Melo 300 a couple of hours ago and jammed as much cotton in as possible and the bloody thing is vaping like a trooper. The RBA deck for the 300 is very tight for the cotton, you have to poke it down through holes and it comes out the side. I was thinking nah no way this is gunna work but it does and really well too. I had to twist the cotton before pulling it through the coil lol but all is well and I'm impressed.
    rodbam, act180, Danny76 and 1 others like this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123