Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Wicking with cotton

AVF Regular

Wicking with cotton

I can build a good coil no problem, but if I don't wick it just right, it's no good. When I do get it right I often don't know what it is that was right.
    This may have been done before but I was thinking it'd be good to have a bit of a troubleshooting thread for wicking with cotton (that's all I use).

For example, some questions I'd like answered are:
    What are the symptoms of not enough cotton?
    Too much cotton?
    Does the length of the tails matter in an RDA or especially a genesis RDTA?
    If spitting is excessive in some RDAs but not others with same coil build, is it the RDAs or the wicking that's the problem or both?
    How do you consistently get the right amount of cotton?

Cheers!
    shaneo likes this.

AVF Regular
    I have no set rule
    Some are crap some are good
    Just re wicked toptank mini 3 times to get it right new RBA
    Seems like luck trial an error to me
    So many variables
    act180 likes this.

Big shout out to AVF and Everyone that helped me on my Journey to quit the the Death Sticks

AVF Regular
    Definitely a lot of trial and error here too. There must be some 'science' to it though.
    shaneo likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by act180 View Post
    Definitely a lot of trial and error here too. There must be some 'science' to it though.
    VG/PG ratio
    Wattage
    Type off cotton
    Size of holes in coil
    Type of tank
    The list goes on

Still cheaper and more satisfaction rebuilding

Big shout out to AVF and Everyone that helped me on my Journey to quit the the Death Sticks

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by act180 View Post
    I can build a good coil no problem, but if I don't wick it just right, it's no good. When I do get it right I often don't know what it is that was right.
    This may have been done before but I was thinking it'd be good to have a bit of a troubleshooting thread for wicking with cotton (that's all I use).

For example, some questions I'd like answered are:
    What are the symptoms of not enough cotton?
    Too much cotton?
    Does the length of the tails matter in an RDA or especially a genesis RDTA?
    If spitting is excessive in some RDAs but not others with same coil build, is it the RDAs or the wicking that's the problem or both?
    How do you consistently get the right amount of cotton?

Cheers!
    RDTA and RTA are more fiddly over your everyday RDA, they vary in wicking technics due to having slightly different decks, wicking wells etc. Personally, the RDTA's I've tried I didn't enjoy much and sold them quickly. I feel there'll always be some wicking issues with cotton wanting to draw juice upwards to a deck in a decent amount of time. You tube will have wicking tutorials on the Genesis, I suggest copying those guys move for move. If all fails you could always try a nice dripper instead.
    Last edited by eLicky; 16-01-17 at 09:23 PM.
    fabricator4 and emu like this.
    Limitless Lux / Buddha V3 30mm RDA
    iJoy Maxo / Mason 30mm RDA
    Pioneer4you IPV4S 120watt / Goon 24mm RDA

#rdalyf #clonelyf #buildinglyf #mixinglyf

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by eLicky View Post
    RDTA and RTA are more fiddly over your everyday RDA, they vary in wicking technics due to having slightly different decks, wicking wells etc. Personally, the RDTA's I've tried I didn't enjoy much and sold them quickly. I feel there'll always be some wicking issues with cotton wanting to draw juice upwards to a deck in a decent amount of time. You tube will have wicking tutorials on the Genesis, I suggest copying those guys move for move. If all fails you could always try a nice dripper instead.
    I've had a good run with genesis style tanks, with no dry hits. On the avocado I always get a lot of spitting though. Doesn't seem to matter what coil(s) big small always spitting, except for the first build I put in it which was pretty much perfect. But I don't seem to be able to do it again.

AVF Regular
    With drippers, for some reason I can't get a spit free build on a tsunami 24 but on a Goon clone, zero spitting with same build.

AVF Regular
    It just takes practice, i find that useing gloves/hand sanitizer when wicking theres no break in. That gross taste after a fresh build is oil from your hands. Also when building with a rda if it spits it means your cotton is to loose or you over dripped. Try keeping the cotton fluffy and not compacted and so its only just slighty snugged going through the coil.aim for twice the diameter of your coil. When tucking your cotton comb out the loose bits and fluff it up like pom poms then tuck very gently so its only just touching the bottom of the deck and try about 10,12 drops slowly until it stops wicking and she'll be an amazing vape
    Building and wicking 3-4 times a day for a year has become second nature for me,
    Tanks are a bit fiddely but once you figure it out its like riding a bike

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryce.C View Post
    It just takes practice, i find that useing gloves/hand sanitizer when wicking theres no break in. That gross taste after a fresh build is oil from your hands. Also when building with a rda if it spits it means your cotton is to loose or you over dripped. Try keeping the cotton fluffy and not compacted and so its only just slighty snugged going through the coil.aim for twice the diameter of your coil. When tucking your cotton comb out the loose bits and fluff it up like pom poms then tuck very gently so its only just touching the bottom of the deck and try about 10,12 drops slowly until it stops wicking and she'll be an amazing vape
    Building and wicking 3-4 times a day for a year has become second nature for me,

Thats a good point i have gloves the misses loves em
    Maybe my cotton is unhappy also Damn germs
    Last edited by shaneo; 16-01-17 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Bit raw
    emu likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryce.C View Post

Spitty: yup too loose is one thing, the other is in some tanks if you over prime the wick before assembling (i.e. you drench the bloody wick and then put the tank back together), you can end up with a tank that will spit the entire time that build is in there...but why, because unless you burn off that excess juice with some mad wattage or long pulls, every time you pull a vacuum on it, youre adding more juice on top of the swamp you have in there already. Prolly not just me, but i wet the wick enough to get her wet to sit where i want it, reassemble and let the tank sit for 5-10 and let the wick sort out its own juice uptake

But i mostly came here because i caught Shaneo's overshare on the activity page
    shaneo, Vapewave and act180 like this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast