Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Traveling to Japan, Hong kong and Thailand

AVF Regular
    Two, hundred ml bottles would probs do it for me. To play it safe I might just put them in 50ml bottles.

So batteries are not a problem for hand carry? I use mech so is it true that I can't have the batteries inside the device whilst flying?

AVF Regular
    ok flaunt the law in Thailand.. but be prepared...Farangs need to pay... need to pay!.. my daughter lives there... I would NOT vape in a public place everrrr .... and I have contacts inc high highfalutin buddhist monks.... always remember when you are traveling you are a visitor subject (perhaps more so) to the law of the land... you might get lucky but dont start bleating if you get caught ! lol
    rockmoose and Cat like this.

What is a cat's favourite colour? Purrrrrrrple !

AVF Regular
    Anyone else got experience with the countries listed above?

AVF Regular
    I'm surprised Stu hasn't poked his head in. He lives in Japan, and travels quite a bit. He'll probably pipe in, at some point.
    Rabid non-smoker since 1630hrs 25/11/2016.

Pebble fondler, living life beyond the vertical.

AVF Regular
    I thought I already had.

HK, no idea but as much of the stuff comes out of HK, I don't think you'll have a problem.

Thailand, don't know don't plan to find out. Only know the airport and that's more than I want to know about.

Japan, if you keep to the larger cities, they're going to want you to vape in the smoking areas and they will look at you strange while you do it. If you get out of the cities (which do have areas of no smoking in the open), then toot away and nobody will care, but they may look.

Myself, I'll toot wherever and whenever I feel I'm not going to annoy anyone, even slightly. Walking down a street in the middle of the 'no smoking' zone, with nobody about, blow clouds and nobody should really give much care to it. Worst that might possible happen (and you need to be a real, jen-you-wine jerk) is the police might find you, ask questions and give you a talking to. But you need to try really hard to manage that in my experience. Like drown a cop or a kid in cloud.

Whatever the airline says for carry on, all batteries in carry on and in safe cases and impossible to be switched on is best. Carry as much liquid as you want in checked luggage, but Japan has a 120ml limit for nic containing liquid to bring in, but you'd have to really annoy someone (and try extra hard at it) to have a problem.

Be sensible, Japan won't be a problem and I expect HK would be the same, maybe even less trouble. Vaping is pretty rare here though, so don't plan on buying anything while you're in Japan, just isn't going to happen. Of all the stuff I have, only PG, VG and a single tank were bought locally. Everything else is from overseas.

And if you're spending more than a week in Japan, get a JR rail pass. You can only buy them from overseas, they're somewhat expensive, but a couple of bullet train rides and it's paid for itself. Some friends a few months ago had them, and clocked up a couple $K in train travel in a week. Makes getting around easy, fast and cheap. One day I'll get one for myself and scoot around for a while. If you're only going to stay in one area (Tokyo, etc.) then don't bother.

Stu.
    IvanDOTJ and rockmoose like this.

AVF Regular
    Stu ur a legend! Thanks for the info! Will keep that in mind. And yeah im only going to be in tokyo. Was just gonna get a suica pass thingy.

AVF Regular
    Yeah, those Suica travel cards work pretty well. Only for JR I think, there is (I think!) another train system in Tokyo that might not use Suica. Coins always work, and carry cash in Japan. Cards are somewhat widely accepted, but cash ALWAYS works.

(And no, I don't worry about carrying a wad of cash that'll choke a horse.)

Also if you need it, the phone companies have short term mobile phones and cards available at the airport. Outgoing gate from Tokyo doesn't have much, but the check in desk area has plenty of stuff in it, both international and domestic (Narita). Once you get out of the airport, you'll be on your own and not everyone will have any usable level of English. If they do, bonus. But don't expect it. Google translation on the phone works pretty well and should help you get out of any pickle you find yourself in, if you get into any trouble at all.

I burned 7 hours there a month ago. It's an airport, but pretty easy going all round to get in and out of. Just make sure you fill in the paperwork while you're on the airplane because doing it then is easy and you get to the front of the line for passport control, and the foreigner lines are always slow no matter where you go.

(Which I never have to go through any more. I'm local, or close enough to it here and there.)

Hope it's a good trip.

Stu.
    rockmoose likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Schtoo View Post
    I thought I already had.

HK, no idea but as much of the stuff comes out of HK, I don't think you'll have a problem.

Thailand, don't know don't plan to find out. Only know the airport and that's more than I want to know about.

Japan, if you keep to the larger cities, they're going to want you to vape in the smoking areas and they will look at you strange while you do it. If you get out of the cities (which do have areas of no smoking in the open), then toot away and nobody will care, but they may look.

Myself, I'll toot wherever and whenever I feel I'm not going to annoy anyone, even slightly. Walking down a street in the middle of the 'no smoking' zone, with nobody about, blow clouds and nobody should really give much care to it. Worst that might possible happen (and you need to be a real, jen-you-wine jerk) is the police might find you, ask questions and give you a talking to. But you need to try really hard to manage that in my experience. Like drown a cop or a kid in cloud.

Whatever the airline says for carry on, all batteries in carry on and in safe cases and impossible to be switched on is best. Carry as much liquid as you want in checked luggage, but Japan has a 120ml limit for nic containing liquid to bring in, but you'd have to really annoy someone (and try extra hard at it) to have a problem.

Be sensible, Japan won't be a problem and I expect HK would be the same, maybe even less trouble. Vaping is pretty rare here though, so don't plan on buying anything while you're in Japan, just isn't going to happen. Of all the stuff I have, only PG, VG and a single tank were bought locally. Everything else is from overseas.

And if you're spending more than a week in Japan, get a JR rail pass. You can only buy them from overseas, they're somewhat expensive, but a couple of bullet train rides and it's paid for itself. Some friends a few months ago had them, and clocked up a couple $K in train travel in a week. Makes getting around easy, fast and cheap. One day I'll get one for myself and scoot around for a while. If you're only going to stay in one area (Tokyo, etc.) then don't bother.

Stu.
    Hey Schtoo, I'm in Japan for 2 weeks from Wednesday, I read your helpful post and wondered re the liquid what the best way to label the bottles is. If I was to be stopped at a customs check and I had bottles of liquid (total 120mls) and they were clearly marked as having nicotine in them would that be better than just a label saying 'Blush'? Is it best to hide it or be transparent about it for the customs staff?

Thanks 👍

AVF Regular
    Don't show them, don't mention it but don't try and hide it and only say something if they ask.

For me, I don't label anything and am not worried if it gets found and/or confiscated because anything I bring through by hand is 'more' not 'only'.

If possible, I'd use original RTV bottles that are 'factory' labelled, with nic added to them. The original bottles will show what's inside, and premixed nic in there isn't going to hurt anyone or anything under normal circumstances.

As I hope I mentioned, you've got to be really unlucky (or dodgy as all get out, or catastrophically stupid) to get stopped and searched. A bottle or two of vape liquid isn't something to be concerned about enough to make one nervous and stand out. You can buy nic-free liquid and vaping gear without restriction, importing up to 120ml of nic containing liquid is not illegal (about as sketchy as you folks in Oz, but we do have a strict quantity limit) so there's nothing about a 2 week vaping setup that could get you into trouble in any way.

I bought through some 'strong' painkillers that I was more worried about, prescription grade with my name on them, but still questionable and I could have theoretically gotten into some hot water if they asked questions.

Whatever you'd do bringing it into Oz, it should be fine for Japan as well.

Also know most of the good China based sources for vaping stuff are 1-3 days shipping to Japan. Health Cabin, Heaven Gifts and Hiliq all ship to Japan, shipping is cheap and fast. So if you run into trouble, it's fixable pretty quickly. Amazon has some vaping gear, some of it's reasonably priced and it's even faster.

If you run into trouble, I'll help get you sorted again but I don't expect you'll have any problems. Vaping, while not exactly wide spread (around here at least) isn't ostracised at all, and the folks who'll ask questions know about it. So long as you can answer those questions IF they're asked, no problem.

(I'm being careful here. You could actually have some problems. It could actually happen. I've heard a lot of stories about foreigners being stopped and accosted by the police asking for their documents so it does happen. But it's never happened to me. And I've pushed a lot more "stop me" buttons than the average import...)

Stu.
    Cat likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Schtoo View Post
    Don't show them, don't mention it but don't try and hide it and only say something if they ask.

For me, I don't label anything and am not worried if it gets found and/or confiscated because anything I bring through by hand is 'more' not 'only'.

If possible, I'd use original RTV bottles that are 'factory' labelled, with nic added to them. The original bottles will show what's inside, and premixed nic in there isn't going to hurt anyone or anything under normal circumstances.

As I hope I mentioned, you've got to be really unlucky (or dodgy as all get out, or catastrophically stupid) to get stopped and searched. A bottle or two of vape liquid isn't something to be concerned about enough to make one nervous and stand out. You can buy nic-free liquid and vaping gear without restriction, importing up to 120ml of nic containing liquid is not illegal (about as sketchy as you folks in Oz, but we do have a strict quantity limit) so there's nothing about a 2 week vaping setup that could get you into trouble in any way.

I bought through some 'strong' painkillers that I was more worried about, prescription grade with my name on them, but still questionable and I could have theoretically gotten into some hot water if they asked questions.

Whatever you'd do bringing it into Oz, it should be fine for Japan as well.

Also know most of the good China based sources for vaping stuff are 1-3 days shipping to Japan. Health Cabin, Heaven Gifts and Hiliq all ship to Japan, shipping is cheap and fast. So if you run into trouble, it's fixable pretty quickly. Amazon has some vaping gear, some of it's reasonably priced and it's even faster.

If you run into trouble, I'll help get you sorted again but I don't expect you'll have any problems. Vaping, while not exactly wide spread (around here at least) isn't ostracised at all, and the folks who'll ask questions know about it. So long as you can answer those questions IF they're asked, no problem.

(I'm being careful here. You could actually have some problems. It could actually happen. I've heard a lot of stories about foreigners being stopped and accosted by the police asking for their documents so it does happen. But it's never happened to me. And I've pushed a lot more "stop me" buttons than the average import...)

Stu.
    Excellent, that's exactly what I needed mate, much appreciated ☺️

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast