Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Traveling to Japan, Hong kong and Thailand

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    Thanks so much Act!

Wow that last pic bought a flashback memory to me... I laughed and teased this guy (who later became my boyfriend and is now deceased) about wearing a tie when my bunch of friends met up to go out for the night, on that overpass/walkway! Turned out he was wearing it to impress me hahaha.
    Haha I'm glad these are bringing back some memories for you 👍
    Cat likes this.

AVF Regular
    That pedestrian crossing, is that the same crossing used in one of the Resident Evil film ? Or simulated scene ?

Cat i didnt know you've lived in Japan. What a spin out - in a good way.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by act180 View Post
    Mario kart in Shibuya, can't believe you can do this ☺️

Haha man I drove one of those go karts whilst in Tokyo!!!best fun ever!!!
    act180 and SubyXV like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by IvanDOTJ View Post
    Haha man I drove one of those go karts whilst in Tokyo!!!best fun ever!!!
    Very much legal to own and drive on the road, as there's a loophole they don't make common knowledge in Japan.

Everyone 'knows' how troublesome it can be to own and operate a motor vehicle in Japan, with inspections and tax and all the rest of it. Most of it's utter crap in reality and no more troublesome (and perhaps less so) than most places in the world. The 'inspection' is nothing more than making sure the engine is running well, it's not leaking, the tyres and wipers are in good shape and the lights work. It's a 'health' check, nothing more. You can even do it yourself if you're willing to jump through the appropriate hoops.

I've asked numerous folks here and they've all said you can do almost anything you want so long as the basic 'car' doesn't change outside it's original specifications. For a regular car, that means the same engine 'type'. For a Kei car, it doesn't exceed any of the strict rules and regulations on engine and body size. Etc, etc.

But there's a facility to take a vehicle 'out of the system' or enter a vehicle into this 'system out of the system' and have it road legal. It means that you can pretty much do almost anything you want, so long as the vehicle is deemed 'safe' for other road users so it's got to have lights and brakes and no spinning blades whizzing around on the outside, etc. It needs to pass a separate inspection test to make it complies as 'safe' (which is pretty liberal) and it will be issued with it's own compliance plate and different registration to show it complies with the road rules.

So you want an F1 car on the road, you can do it. It's been done before. These carts, obviously already done.

It's not often done as once you take a car out of the system, it's no longer really sellable to anyone other than someone who knows their stuff as most regular folks won't even look at something heavily modified or unique as it can't go through the usual system of inspection and whatnot and that's too complicated for them to worry about. Putting something that's never been 'in' the system into it involves a pretty hefty fee for the first example, the remainder pass through on the first one's blessing. I know there are some Commodore utes running around here somewhere, and getting another one of the same type into the system under the original one's blessing would require finding whoever did the first one and slipping them some cash for their signature, if they'd be willing to do that. Might be cheaper and easier to just not bother asking too.

A lot of 'car guys' aren't willing to step out of the system, partly I think because of how things work here (society) and no willingness to be the nail that stands up.

If you're a 'car guy' (not gender specific here), almost all of the AE86 chassis here still retain a form of 4A engine but rarely anything newer, lighter or bigger because changing that engine 'family' takes it out of the system and can cause a car with a high resale value 'as standard' or modified 'within the system' to be almost unsellable.

But if you want to slip something serious under the bonnet, there's a way to do it and keep it legal. If I ever manage to have the means, I have plans. No idea what it'll be, only that it'll be logical, sensible and completely 'out of the system'. And fun.

Stu.

AVF Regular
    When you see a mazda 121 granny car belt a 6ish second quarter mile time.
    Nothing surprises me with vehicles in japan anymore
    emu likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoofprint View Post
    When you see a mazda 121 granny car belt a 6ish second quarter mile time.
    Nothing surprises me with vehicles in japan anymore
    It's not that so much, a purpose made race car can do that. And for a bubble car to rack up that kind of time, it's a race car not a road car.

It's more a case of it being registered and road legal. In theory, you could have something powered by a Saturn V rocket engine, and so long as it was 'safe' according to the rules, it'd be legal. In theory at least...

I've only skimmed it myself, but it was interesting that so long as you were willing to step out of the system (and take responsibility for it) then you're pretty much free to do whatever you want to. Like a lot of things here, stick to the rules and you'll fit in. Step outside of them and you stand out, might be punished for it but at the same time you're on your own and subject to your own rules.

While we're here, Nissan (and Subaru) have a full recall on all cars sold in the past couple years. Nothing wrong with any of them, and there's nothing to fix. All that was 'wrong' was that whoever safety inspected them at the factory didn't have a particular piece of paper saying they were allowed to do so. Pedantic BS, but that's how it goes here.

Locals probably think that their little shoebox with wheels is now inherently safer than something armed to the teeth with every safety system available, all because of a missing permission slip.

We drive the latter because the locals are also convinced they're indestructible and alone on the roads. Trust me, don't complain about driver's in Oz because they're all way above average compared to here.

Stu.
    fabricator4, Hoofprint and emu like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Schtoo View Post
    It's not that so much, a purpose made race car can do that. And for a bubble car to rack up that kind of time, it's a race car not a road car.

It's more a case of it being registered and road legal. In theory, you could have something powered by a Saturn V rocket engine, and so long as it was 'safe' according to the rules, it'd be legal. In theory at least...

I've only skimmed it myself, but it was interesting that so long as you were willing to step out of the system (and take responsibility for it) then you're pretty much free to do whatever you want to. Like a lot of things here, stick to the rules and you'll fit in. Step outside of them and you stand out, might be punished for it but at the same time you're on your own and subject to your own rules.

While we're here, Nissan (and Subaru) have a full recall on all cars sold in the past couple years. Nothing wrong with any of them, and there's nothing to fix. All that was 'wrong' was that whoever safety inspected them at the factory didn't have a particular piece of paper saying they were allowed to do so. Pedantic BS, but that's how it goes here.

Locals probably think that their little shoebox with wheels is now inherently safer than something armed to the teeth with every safety system available, all because of a missing permission slip.

We drive the latter because the locals are also convinced they're indestructible and alone on the roads. Trust me, don't complain about driver's in Oz because they're all way above average compared to here.

Stu.
    yeah, wish i could find the video of it again.
    they ripped out the engine and crammed the 13b twin turbo from the old RX7's. threw so much power twisted the chassis out the gate so it was a one time kinda build

But i get what your saying about the inspections. i kid you not they initially refused do my pink slip this year over a 50c piece of rubber.
    the fix took 5 seconds although i do need a new silicone mod cover now.
    fabricator4, Schtoo and rockmoose like this.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345