Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Seeking allergy advice

AVF Regular

Seeking allergy advice

Hi ive been vaping for a year and have become allergic to vaping, breaking out with itchy hives. I switched back to cigarettes and the allergy stopped so it was definitely the ecig. Does anyone have any advice on what i can do because i don't want to go back to the ciggies. Ive been vaping high vg juice with kanger topbox and the standard kanthal coils.
    muscovyduckling likes this.

AVF Regular
    So sorry Joe... I know what allergies are like.. I used to be allergic to the world ! (well it felt like it!) perhaps it could be the flavouring in the juices or perhaps the VG.. or the cotton in the coils..

the possibilities are endless... I would wonder why after 12 months you suddenly have a reaction.. what changed in how or what you were vaping ?

perhaps you could you try vaping 50/50 vg/pg unflavoured juice.. it actually really is nice.. it has a kind of sweetness about it... I always have a tank of unflavoured on the go !

What is a cat's favourite colour? Purrrrrrrple !

CMB
    AVF Regular
    The other thing to try is to vape less with more nic.

Say a MTL vape at 10-15W, unflavoured and even 100% PG if you want.

AVF Regular
    According to the doctor you have to be exposed a few hundred times before you develop an allergy. I started using high vg juice that i diy in the last six months. So u advise to switch between things to try identify what it is. I have a feeling its not the flavours because i vape different flavours. If its the vg i pretty much wont be able to vape anymore yeh?

AVF Regular
    Thanks cmb ill give that a go. And see how i go. Today i switched to a ss coil so ill see if it could be the kanthal

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_1835 View Post
    Hi ive been vaping for a year and have become allergic to vaping, breaking out with itchy hives. I switched back to cigarettes and the allergy stopped so it was definitely the ecig. Does anyone have any advice on what i can do because i don't want to go back to the ciggies. Ive been vaping high vg juice with kanger topbox and the standard kanthal coils.
    1ynne is right, start eliminating things from the vape. There's two approaches - 1ynne's where you drop things out one by one, or you can go back to absolute basics then add things back in.

Basics would be to vape 100% VG only, with some nicotine. Add 3 to 6 percent distilled water to thin it a little if you have to, and on really cold days you will have to, because it won't wick worth a damn. This is the approach I'd recommend because it stands a better chance of clearing the issue up quickly, but it does mean that you have to buy your nic in VG, not PG, obviously.

If that works you can try adding PG back into it without flavour. I'm betting the PG is it - itchy hives seems to be common theme for PG sensitivity. Most flavours are PG based because it's a good carrier for them but there are concentrates (and RTVs) that are made with only VG. Do some google searches and you should find them, or some VG only vaper on here might chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by 1ynne View Post
    I would wonder why after 12 months you suddenly have a reaction.. what changed in how or what you were vaping ?
    The immune system can take some time to get sensitised to something. That's why for some vaccinations a course is necessary to get full immunity (or any immunity all), I think Hepatitis is one of those.

Environmental factors can also increase sensitivity, and an immune system that has been tripped by (for example) pollen or dust mites can be on a hair trigger for other things as well. I think it's something the scientist only think they understand - I think there's more going on than they know about.

Has everyone else noticed there is an increase of these things right now? Seems like (but probably isn't) every other post from a new member is a request for help about overly harsh vapes or more obvious signs of allergy.
    muscovyduckling likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Yep Fab... my other suggestion is go back to what you were doing before you started DIY... what ever you vaped before without a rash.... could be a good baseline... and then adjust one thing at a time from there... but it is a painful process

and of course consider ALL of the possible irritants in your environment.... soap powders.. soaps.. dust .. dustmites

of course once your body is sensitised and in 'allergy mode' you do often find added sensitivity to things that you could previously cope with...

I have always had allergies.. I am just a sensitive soul but for me... after having our old rusting galvanised water pipes replaced.... I suddenly became covered in hives.... lost my eyes in that cute puff ball swelling... after a LOT of trial and error.. water filters saved my life .. well my sanity .. well some of it lol
    Noe likes this.

What is a cat's favourite colour? Purrrrrrrple !

CMB
    AVF Regular
    My Mrs can't vape any more than about 30% VG as she gets wheezy and itchy.

We have tried serveral different sources of VG over the years and it is always the same thing. So I think you may be onto something in regards to VG content even though it appears to be more common for people to suggest PG is the culprit. (I actually personally know more people with sensitivities to VG than PG btw.)

You can still vape fine with 100% PG you just won't get as much cloudage.

AVF Regular
    Allergies are a right PITA. Like the others have said, tis going to be a slow and annoying process of elimination.

If it were me, I would buy a 100ml bottle of nic from Hiliq in whatever base (100% VG or PG) you DONT currently have, so that you can mix up a batch of 100% PG unflavoured and a batch of 100% VG unflavoured (will need some distilled water for this), and go from there. This would get the fastest result, because if you still have allergies to both of those unflavoured mixes you'll know that it's the kanthal or cotton or some component of your tank (??rubber orings or ??metals in the SS).....or (heaven forbid) the Nic (if that is even possible).

If you only react to one, you'll know if it's either VG or PG; then you can start the process of sourcing flavour concentrates or RTV flavours that don't include the culprit.

In the meantime it might be worth checking out the snus thread.

I wish you luck mate.
    Last edited by muscovyduckling; 05-03-17 at 01:27 PM.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    It could be nothing to do with the juice you are using. Many people suffer from metal allergies (eg. Nickel), far more than those that suffer with PG or VG allergies, so the type of coil you are using or type of wire to make your own coils may be the culprit. It may even be a new tank or atty you bought to replace your old one. SS contains Nickel, so if you are allergic to Nickel, a SS tank could be the cause.

1ynne's idea of going back to what you were vaping with before you noticed symptoms, makes a lot of sense, use that as a starting point & if your symptoms persist of get worse, then perhaps you have built up an intollerance over time. If that is the case then start the process of elimination, working out if it is the PG or the VG or the flavors or the wires/metals or even if it is the type of wick.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast