Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: High Watt vaping!

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Question High Watt vaping!

Hey guys!

Just wondering I just got some new wires (Caterpillar Track and Fused Clapton Wire 24ga x 2 +32ga) both from Geekvape, and a nice new Smok G-Priv. But I was wondering if anyone could help me on what wire (even if I have to order different wire) and how many wraps etc should I use to maybe vape in about 100-150w mode. I'm ma little new to going this high but wanna learn about it more. If you have any tips or help, shout it to me!

Thanks Aussie Vapers!

AVF Regular
    Where the spectre of Bjelke-Petersen still looms...A Banana Republic inside a Banana Republic
    Wire wizard | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

This site will help you with calculations for building coils. Remember that increasing the number of coils reduces the resistance of the overall circuit - i.e. Dual coil is half the resistance of single coil.

Rather than deciding on a power range at which you want to vape, why not try building some coils and see what resistance they come out at and then see what power range suits them for you?

Do you have coil building tools?

Where in QLD are you located?
    Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Quality Australian Made eJuice: Bunyip Vapes

Ah thank you!
    I should really update my info on here lol! I live in Queensland, Brisbane/Logan area .
    I do indeed have a coil master kit!

One question, with your preference, do you think a high ohm would be better for high watts? Or lower? Or would it matter on the wire?

AVF Regular
    Where the spectre of Bjelke-Petersen still looms...A Banana Republic inside a Banana Republic
    Others can weigh in if I'm getting this wrong (because I generally vape around 50-80W)

Personal preference is always going to come into the matter. Generally speaking, the lower the resistance, the higher the power output required to achieve the same effect. Also the surface area of your coils vs how quickly you want them to heat up or how hot you want your vapour is going to have an influence on how much power you want to put through them.

I generally run dual SS 3mm coils at about .2 - .3 ohms and I find that somewhere between 50-80W works well. I also use temperature control and vape at between 215C and 250C which tends to give me a peak of about 65-70 Watts. I'm getting nice big plumes of vapour from my atties and don't see the need to push any higher.

My advice would be to build yourself a .2 ohm setup and see where your sweet spot is in terms of flavour and wicking. That is another factor you have to take into account - will your wicks handle the vapourisation rate and replenish your coils fast enough to prevent dry hits? Are you going to chain vape or let the juice rewick?

What do you have sitting on the G-Priv?
    disley likes this.
    Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Quality Australian Made eJuice: Bunyip Vapes

Quote Originally Posted by Nothingexpert View Post
    Others can weigh in if I'm getting this wrong (because I generally vape around 50-80W)

Personal preference is always going to come into the matter. Generally speaking, the lower the resistance, the higher the power output required to achieve the same effect. Also the surface area of your coils vs how quickly you want them to heat up or how hot you want your vapour is going to have an influence on how much power you want to put through them.

I generally run dual SS 3mm coils at about .2 - .3 ohms and I find that somewhere between 50-80W works well. I also use temperature control and vape at between 215C and 250C which tends to give me a peak of about 65-70 Watts. I'm getting nice big plumes of vapour from my atties and don't see the need to push any higher.

My advice would be to build yourself a .2 ohm setup and see where your sweet spot is in terms of flavour and wicking. That is another factor you have to take into account - will your wicks handle the vapourisation rate and replenish your coils fast enough to prevent dry hits? Are you going to chain vape or let the juice rewick?

What do you have sitting on the G-Priv?

Ah! Okie! Great information, tbh!
    At the moment, on the G-Priv I've got my Griffin 25, but I'm not sure what I want to use on it from my 4 of Griffin 25, Griffin 22, Avocado 24, or Tsunami!
    At the moment the griffin 25 is running Dual coil, Fused Clapton wire (mentioned above) at about 0.21 (5 wraps on both). I'm vaping it at about 55w right now.

I'm wondering how the Caterpillar Track would go in the Avocado, it might be lower Resistance so better for higher watts, I'm assuming lol.

AVF Regular
    The easiest way to do this the number of coils, so an RDA or tank that has more of them.

Doubling the number coils usually:
    * Doubles the number of wicks
    * Doubles the coil surface area
    * Doubles the amps and wattage (coils in parallel)
    * Doubles the vapour production
    * Doubles the airflow, or at least requires some increase.

Lower resistance usually equates to a hotter coil, requiring more airflow, and producing more vapour. You have to fill the deck with wire though - reducing the wire length to reduce resistance is a trap if you go too low because it reduces efficiency.

Is this just watts for the sake of it though? Usually people go to higher watts when they need to get more vapour, usually having tried other things, and find that the devices and builds they now have need those kinds of watts to even work at all. Trying to do 150 watts on something that's really designed for 80 isn't necessarily going to work without some modifications. Learning how to do it normally comes with learning why to do it, so it seems backwards to me: I'll just point out some of the negative aspects as well:

* Less than half the battery charge life (due to poorer efficiency)
    * Less safety margin for the batteries
    * More stress on the batteries so reduced cycle life.
    * Much greater liquid consumption
    * Less safe for the vaper - we know that vaping is probably not 100% biologically safe, so increasing exposure concentrations must logically be less safe. That's without considering what might go wrong in the case of a dry hit or other error at 150 watts...

Sorry, felt this needed to be said.

Without knowing what device you are using (what RDA for example?) it's a bit harder to give you specific recommendations but if you are not using something like Troll V2, Goon, Recoil etc at about 80 watts already that's probably something you need to visit before piling on more watts.

As far as what build is best: everyone is different so you have to try a few things. Usually more coil surface area can vaporise more liquid more efficiently, but there's other factors like airflow and how you vape that are important too. The best advice is to try the different wires and see what works best for you.
    Nothingexpert likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    I use geekvape flat Clapton wire in every rda it can fit in my sweet spot is for this specific wire is duel 5 wraps at 3.5 I'd comes out between 0.12-.0.13. Im usually drifting between 100-120w with decent flavour and plumes of vapour but a few times I've pushed it to 195 it's hot as hell itself but no dry hits(as long as you wick it right, I don't usually do the Scottish roll but for this build you kinda need it), I like hot vapes but I find going past 130w with this build flavour takes a nose dive.
    Tip:Also when building beefy coils your rda will get extremely hot and so will your mod dry burn a little then let it cool down as not to damage the board or batteries

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
    Slinky Joey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    The easiest way to do this the number of coils, so an RDA or tank that has more of them.

Doubling the number coils usually:
    * Doubles the number of wicks
    * Doubles the coil surface area
    * Doubles the amps and wattage (coils in parallel)
    * Doubles the vapour production
    * Doubles the airflow, or at least requires some increase.

Lower resistance usually equates to a hotter coil, requiring more airflow, and producing more vapour. You have to fill the deck with wire though - reducing the wire length to reduce resistance is a trap if you go too low because it reduces efficiency.

Is this just watts for the sake of it though? Usually people go to higher watts when they need to get more vapour, usually having tried other things, and find that the devices and builds they now have need those kinds of watts to even work at all. Trying to do 150 watts on something that's really designed for 80 isn't necessarily going to work without some modifications. Learning how to do it normally comes with learning why to do it, so it seems backwards to me: I'll just point out some of the negative aspects as well:

* Less than half the battery charge life (due to poorer efficiency)
    * Less safety margin for the batteries
    * More stress on the batteries so reduced cycle life.
    * Much greater liquid consumption
    * Less safe for the vaper - we know that vaping is probably not 100% biologically safe, so increasing exposure concentrations must logically be less safe. That's without considering what might go wrong in the case of a dry hit or other error at 150 watts...

Sorry, felt this needed to be said.

Without knowing what device you are using (what RDA for example?) it's a bit harder to give you specific recommendations but if you are not using something like Troll V2, Goon, Recoil etc at about 80 watts already that's probably something you need to visit before piling on more watts.

As far as what build is best: everyone is different so you have to try a few things. Usually more coil surface area can vaporise more liquid more efficiently, but there's other factors like airflow and how you vape that are important too. The best advice is to try the different wires and see what works best for you.
    Thank you for this, honestly, I am trying this just to see where it leads me, I love experimenting and I wanna see if this is what would hit my sweet spot.
    With desire, Yes, I do want more and more clouds every day, and just want to see what this G-Priv can do!

I was also thinking of using my Tsunami RDA to try get something nice!

So yeah, it some what is for the sake of it and what not but I also don't know if it's something I actually would want to do more regularly. until I try it I guess . Thanks for your info!

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Slinky Joey View Post
    I was also thinking of using my Tsunami RDA to try get something nice!
    Given that the G-priv takes 22mm devices the 22mm Tsunami looks good and has had good reviews; apart from that the 24mm Goon would have been my suggestion.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    Given that the G-priv takes 22mm devices the 22mm Tsunami looks good and has had good reviews; apart from that the 24mm Goon would have been my suggestion.
    Awesome good to hear! Maybe I'll have a look at buying a 24mm Goon!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast