Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree116Likes

Thread: E-cigarettes and smoking cessation: Online survey

AVF Regular
    Done the survey. I hope the results of this survey will assist with the legalization of liquid Nicotine in Australia.
    Most vapers if run out of juice will buy a pack of smokes until their next order arrives if its easily available will keep them off tobacco.
    draziz likes this.

Cat
    AVF Regular
    I just did your survey and I would like to see your results.
    draziz likes this.
    Be Realistic. Plan for a Miracle.

Quit smoking 22 Sep 16

AVF Regular
    for those wondering use google Profile, School of Nursing and Midwifery, La Trobe University

also for verifaction please send a picture of yourself and dont use a plain white wall because i bet a few members wont belive it
    draziz likes this.
    If you know it. Help someone
    If you dont know it. Ask

On land line is a inanimate object under water it has a life of its own.

AVF Regular
    Hi all I've had a read through Dr Aziz's articles and previous research.

His last study concluded that using nicotine in ecigs was more effective in smoking cessation/reduction than using ecigs without nicotine. But it was not able to compare the rate of smoking cessation/reduction in Vaping vs other quit methods. Looks like this new survey is aiming to include that type of data, as it asks about previous quit attempts. I think that's a good thing.

Also Dr Aziz has done a whole lot of medical research in Bangladesh, and has also been a guest on a Melbourne Bangladeshi radio station. So I think he might originally come from Bangladesh (?). This explains the Bangladeshi link in this new study, I think.

Anyway, I agree about researchers not understanding vapers in general. But Dr Aziz's previous research aligns with what we, as vapers, already know to be true.

TL/DR: I think he's legit and we should do his survey.
    Last edited by muscovyduckling; 16-06-17 at 03:01 PM.
    Cams, Cat, Jemor and 1 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by muscovyduckling View Post
    Hi all I've had a read through Dr Aziz's articles and previous research.

His last study concluded that using nicotine in ecigs was more effective in smoking cessation/reduction than using ecigs without nicotine. But it was not able to compare the rate of smoking cessation/reduction in Vaping vs other quit methods. Looks like this new survey is aiming to include that type of data, as it asks about previous quit attempts. I think that's a good thing.

Also Dr Aziz has done a whole lot of medical research in Bangladesh, and has also been a guest on a Melbourne Bangladeshi radio station. So I think he might originally come from Bangladesh (?). This explains the Bangladeshi link in this new study, I think.

Anyway, I agree about researchers not understanding vapers in general. But Dr Aziz's previous research aligns with what we, as vapers, already know to be true.

TL/DR: I think he's legit and we should do his survey.
    Indeed. Suspect your thoughts to be accurate and have done the survey.
    muscovyduckling and draziz like this.
    Last cigarette, 11:00 AM 11th March 2015.

AVF Regular
    Completed the Survey.
    draziz likes this.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Overwhelmed with your support and appreciation. Yes, being born in Bangladesh, I selected that developing country as a comparison example, as vaping has recently been quite popular there as well. Thanks a lot.
    muscovyduckling and Cat like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    I think this highlights a major concern with a lot of research into vaping. (This is a general comment and not aimed particularly at Dr Aziz.)

Many scientists are researching something they know absolutely nothing about. Vaping does not burn anything, but they refer to smoke. They have no idea how vapers use their devices, so they set up experiments where automated machines produce dry hits without knowing that vapers simply would not/could not continue vaping because it is foul. They fail to recognise advances in vaping and use devices that were out of date years ago. They fail to recognise the wide variations in things like nicotine levels and types of devices; they don't understand that everyone is different and what suits one person will not suit another.

Smoking is part of our cultural psyche, so, instead of actually learning about vaping, they transfer what they know about smoking (which may be very little if they have never been addicted to cigarettes themselves) and pretend it applies to vaping as well.

If vaping is their area of research, why don't they get out into the vaping community and find out something about it? Visit vape shops. Talk to people. Once they have a thorough background and an understanding of how personal vaporisers are used, then by all means do your research - but make sure it reflects the real world, not merely some unrealistic laboratory.

I am a computer programmer. I have written software for industries I knew absolutely nothing about. But before software is designed or a line of code is written, I talk to a wide cross-section of the potential clients. I ask about their daily routines, what they hope to achieve, how they currently do things, what their current problems are. I read the relevant legislation. And at every level of development I go back to the clients.

Why do scientists continue to think they can produce valid research on a topic they simply don't understand?

/end of rant
    All valid criticisms of current research, especially lab and invitro work that is being done on the US. That's not even getting into the US cancer council and pharma funded research that seems to specify the expected conclusion before designing the criteria around that. I think we have a chance if we follow New Zealand's lead, but that is anything but certain at this time.

What excited me most was New Zealand's de-funding of anti-tobacco groups that were opposed to vaping. If that doesn't send a clear message I don't know what will.

We need to do as many things as we can, there is no one thing that will make the difference. Do Dr Aziz' survey, make a submission to the Federal Health Enquiry, talk to your MPs, especially if they are labor or green, support your advocacy groups... Do it all, and don't hold back.
    gert, Cath Mort, DogMan and 2 others like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Kettering south tassie / northern Antarctica
    Just done the survey
    Cat and draziz like this.
    funny gifs

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    I need more responses from the members of this forum to get the survey results valid. Hope that the members will be able to spend max 5 minutes to complete this. Please, encourage your peer to fill this important survey. Thanks
    https://latrobe.co1.qualtrics.com/jf...A1KZULjx8pnOpD
    fabricator4 likes this.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast