Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree116Likes

Thread: E-cigarettes and smoking cessation: Online survey

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

E-cigarettes and smoking cessation: Online survey

Are you currently using e-cigarettes, or, have you previously used e-cigarettes?
    Do you have few minutes to share your smoking experiences?

We are looking for participants for the study, “Electronic cigarettes and smoking cessation: examining the smoking behaviours among the current users”. There has been conflicting evidence regarding the use of e-cigarettes and smoking cessation in literature and demands further studies. Therefore, this study aims to examine the smoking behaviours among the e-cigarette users and determine any relationship with smoking cessation practice.

It is a completely anonymous and voluntary online survey. It will not take more than 10 minutes to complete. If you are interested, please click this link to access the Participant Information Statement (PIS) and the Survey Questionnaire: https://latrobe.co1.qualtrics.com/jf...A1KZULjx8pnOpD

Much appreciated for your support.
    Kind regards,
    Dr Aziz Rahman, MBBS, MPH, PhD
    Public Health Professional and Senior Lecturer
    Austin Clinical School of Nursing, La Trobe University
    T: +61 3 9496 2137, M: +61 4 1769 7453, E: m.rahman2@latrobe.edu.au
    DocM and PATDACAT like this.

AVF Regular
    Just to let you know that for me, this will not load on a MacBook Pro running Safari/Firefox. It will load on an iPad, but is basically unresponsive beyond the first page.

Being utterly selfish as an Australian, have to wonder what an earth a comparison with Bangladesh has to do with THR in Australia? I've nothing against the Bangladeshi's and their shared issues with Aussie smokers/vapers - I'm sure they have their issues too. I just question the relevance of comparing the two experiences because I fail to find any (perhaps I have misunderstood).

Returning to the selfish, again - my major concern lies with the legalisation of nicotine and THR in this country. Given your statement regarding being a supporter of THR AND you statement regarding a submission to the Federal Inquiry into the use of ENDS, I expected a survey that might be somewhat helpful in advancing, my rather selfish cause. I don't see a survey that involves Bangladesh as furthering that cause, neither do I feel you're going to collect, collate or, report on anything from this survey, in time to meet the deadline of 22/7/2017 for submissions to the Federal Inquiry.

So, I will refer again to my initial post when you joined this forum. I'm happy to participate in genuine research but I'm not gullible enough to waste my time on being a guinea pig for superfluous data creation for the purposes of progressing academic careers in Public Health Research.

Also, you were asked to correct your terminology. Vapers do not smoke. To suggest that they do is offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by draziz View Post
    Are you currently using e-cigarettes, or, have you previously used e-cigarettes?
    Do you have few minutes to share your smoking experiences?

We are looking for participants for the study, “Electronic cigarettes and smoking cessation: examining the smoking behaviours among the current users”. There has been conflicting evidence regarding the use of e-cigarettes and smoking cessation in literature and demands further studies. Therefore, this study aims to examine the smoking behaviours among the e-cigarette users and determine any relationship with smoking cessation practice.

It is a completely anonymous and voluntary online survey. It will not take more than 10 minutes to complete. If you are interested, please click this link to access the Participant Information Statement (PIS) and the Survey Questionnaire: https://latrobe.co1.qualtrics.com/jf...A1KZULjx8pnOpD

Much appreciated for your support.
    Kind regards,
    Dr Aziz Rahman, MBBS, MPH, PhD
    Public Health Professional and Senior Lecturer
    Austin Clinical School of Nursing, La Trobe University
    T: +61 3 9496 2137, M: +61 4 1769 7453, E: m.rahman2@latrobe.edu.au
    draziz likes this.

Thanks for your queries. I have responded to your email to clarify your concerns. Hope that helps.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by draziz View Post
    Thanks for your queries. I have responded to your email to clarify your concerns. Hope that helps.
    perhaps it may be helpful to others, who may have similar queries, if you also replied here - transparency is always appreciated

The aims of this research program are:

To examine smoking behaviors among the current e-cigarette users
    To compare smoking behaviors among the e-cigarette users in a developed country (Australia) and a developing country (Bangladesh)
    To determine the association between current use, frequency and duration of e-cigarettes use and successful smoking cessation
    and similarly I would ask - what "smoking behaviours" are you referring to ? as an ex smoker - I no longer smoke but I do vape .
    Last edited by 1ynne; 16-06-17 at 10:08 AM.
    chris_vaper and draziz like this.

Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ynne View Post
    ...and similarly I would ask - what "smoking behaviours" are you referring to ? as an ex smoker - I no longer smoke but I do vape .
    Exactly vaping is not smoking. The technique used the fact there is no smoke its not the same.

e-cigarettes is the wrong terminology they are Personal Vapourisers.
    draziz likes this.

AVF Regular
    All done, thank you
    draziz likes this.

Dear all,
    I would like to clarify few concerns of the members. I am copying the email responses sent to FXVaper.

The issue about technical glitch using Mac, I will contact our IT department regarding this issue. I have already fixed the other issue, so anyone responding to the first question and agree to participate on the first page, can proceed to the original questionnaire.

The issue about research funding, this is an unfunded research. Due to increasing demand and limited availability of the funding, we need to continue conducting many research activities depending on the importance of the topic areas.

The next issue about comparing data between Australia and Bangladesh, as there has been limited scientific evidence regarding use of vapors, we need to understand whether there is any difference or variation in the use of vapors due to geographical location or the current tobacco regulation laws.

The issue of the current inquiry from the Federal Government, I am aware of this and in the process of submitting an inquiry there with the scientific evidence from research I have already conducted. I am aware of the deadline. Please, keep an eye there.

Regarding the terminologies you suggested, which is a learning for me. Like me, many researchers are also not aware of this terminology. It will be an important finding from this research. In the survey, you can notice that I have used the terminology ‘use of e-cigarettes’ rather than ‘smoking e-cigarettes’. As the survey has commenced, I do not have scope to change it to ‘vapor’ at present in the questionnaire or in the research objectives. However, the study participants have scope to enter this information and any other relevant information as free texts at the end of survey, which will help us to improve our future studies.

Finally, let me utilize this opportunity to inform you about my earlier research on the use of e-cigarettes:
    https://tobaccoinduceddiseases.biome...617-9625-12-21
    E-Cigarettes and Smoking Cessation: Evidence from a Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis

In the latest research (2nd link above), we have found that e-cigarettes are effective for smoking cessation and nicotine e-cigarettes are better than non-nicotine ones. Following publication of that research, I had to face lots of queries from scientific community and media. I clarified my position that we could not discount science and it is an important harm reduction approach for the current smokers. So the current smokers should get this option and the tobacco regulation needs to be modified accordingly. Our research does not promote use of e-cigarettes for non-smokers and does not support normalization of smoking behaviour. However, further scientific evidence is warranted to make policy changes. Therefore, this study was conceived to get the voice from the actual users as I had been listening to all the success stories of quitting by using vapors.

I hope that I have clarified the concerns. Please, do not hesitate to let me know if you have any further queries. Your participation and support for promoting other forum members to participate would assist us in understanding about the use of vapors and possible policy changes in future.

Thanks.

AVF Regular
    Thank you for clarifying... as 'smoking behaviour' could also be interpreted that people who vape ALSO smoke cigarettes - I imagine that most vapers have given up smoking..

however, the expression 'no smoke without fire' is relevant.. we do not burn anything.. we heat liquid and produce vapour
    fabricator4 and draziz like this.

Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.

AVF Regular
    I think this highlights a major concern with a lot of research into vaping. (This is a general comment and not aimed particularly at Dr Aziz.)

Many scientists are researching something they know absolutely nothing about. Vaping does not burn anything, but they refer to smoke. They have no idea how vapers use their devices, so they set up experiments where automated machines produce dry hits without knowing that vapers simply would not/could not continue vaping because it is foul. They fail to recognise advances in vaping and use devices that were out of date years ago. They fail to recognise the wide variations in things like nicotine levels and types of devices; they don't understand that everyone is different and what suits one person will not suit another.

Smoking is part of our cultural psyche, so, instead of actually learning about vaping, they transfer what they know about smoking (which may be very little if they have never been addicted to cigarettes themselves) and pretend it applies to vaping as well.

If vaping is their area of research, why don't they get out into the vaping community and find out something about it? Visit vape shops. Talk to people. Once they have a thorough background and an understanding of how personal vaporisers are used, then by all means do your research - but make sure it reflects the real world, not merely some unrealistic laboratory.

I am a computer programmer. I have written software for industries I knew absolutely nothing about. But before software is designed or a line of code is written, I talk to a wide cross-section of the potential clients. I ask about their daily routines, what they hope to achieve, how they currently do things, what their current problems are. I read the relevant legislation. And at every level of development I go back to the clients.

Why do scientists continue to think they can produce valid research on a topic they simply don't understand?

/end of rant
    gert, gtadmin, Fatman and 11 others like this.

Limelight Freehand S/Custom Classic/StudioVape/PC Wood mods/VR Wood Mods/TMod/Reo/Floris Little Orca squonkers; Axiom hybrid; GP PAPS-X SS and Lux;PAPS Lux; GP Piccolo; Microstick; Gizmo; DRIFT M22; bOd Mecha
    Haku/Origen Little 16/Hadaly/Manta/Stumpy/Nectar/Derringer, Herons, Spheroids, Eviva, Sophias/SnP, MiniAtty, KFL+, Dripper Pro

AVF Regular
    PS: I did do the survey

Limelight Freehand S/Custom Classic/StudioVape/PC Wood mods/VR Wood Mods/TMod/Reo/Floris Little Orca squonkers; Axiom hybrid; GP PAPS-X SS and Lux;PAPS Lux; GP Piccolo; Microstick; Gizmo; DRIFT M22; bOd Mecha
    Haku/Origen Little 16/Hadaly/Manta/Stumpy/Nectar/Derringer, Herons, Spheroids, Eviva, Sophias/SnP, MiniAtty, KFL+, Dripper Pro

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast