Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Vape gear and airport security

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Vape gear and airport security

Next europian summer i intend to travel oversees.

I am wondering if I have it on me will it set off the security devices, I mean if I put them in the basket every security officer will stop me to exam it. If I have it in bring it in the carrie on luggage every officer who is going to screen it will stop because of the shape of the mod and the spare coils.
    My thinking is to put it the main luggage and take it out at my main destination.

Does anybody has some experience with airports and security screening.
    monts_mys likes this.

AVF Regular
    mods/batteries can't go in checked luggage. It needs to go in your hand carry.

Plus you have more chance of getting stopped if you leave stuff in your pockets when they specifically tell you to empty them...
    Current Mods
    • Triade DNA200
    • Therion DNA75
    • Broadside
    • Noisy Cricket V2
    • Punto Zero
    • Kimech
    • USV-L

Current Attys
    • Monster V3
    • Squape X
    • Kayfun V5
    • Reload RTA
    • Goon
    • Goon v1.5
    • In'sane
    • Hadaly
    • Tricktank Pro
    • Tokugawa
    • CSMNT x2
    • BMI Nova
    • Icon RDA
    • Pulse RDA
    • Narda

AVF Regular
    This has been asked and answered a bunch of times previously.

The short version is it's not a problem. At all.

Comply with the liquid rules (no bigger than 100ml bottles, all fit in a 20x20cm transparent ziplock bag) and battery rules (must be in carry on) and nothing sharp in carry on (tools in checked luggage) and you'll be fine. If you have large bottles of liquid, put it into checked luggage.

Consider yourself exceedingly privileged if they make any mention of any of it at all so long as you comply with the rules.

Stu.

AVF Regular
    What Stu said.

NO batteries in checked luggage - that will get you sidelined like nothing else.
    Batteries in your carry-on luggage, in battery boxes.
    Check with the airline for limits on liquid bottle sizes. It WAS 100ml but we've had some security escalations since then so they can and do change it depending threat level.

If you are having stopovers, especially in SE Asia or the middle east check the law for vaping in those countries too. I would not take vaping gear to Indonesia or UAE if I was going to leave the international terminal area. Don't take your best gear. Thailand, India, and a few other places are dodgey too. It's super sucky, glad I got most of the travelling stuff done.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    What Stu said.

NO batteries in checked luggage - that will get you sidelined like nothing else.
    Batteries in your carry-on luggage, in battery boxes.
    Check with the airline for limits on liquid bottle sizes. It WAS 100ml but we've had some security escalations since then so they can and do change it depending threat level.

If you are having stopovers, especially in SE Asia or the middle east check the law for vaping in those countries too. I would not take vaping gear to Indonesia or UAE if I was going to leave the international terminal area. Don't take your best gear. Thailand, India, and a few other places are dodgey too. It's super sucky, glad I got most of the travelling stuff done.
    Fab, Have bad things happened in Thailand in regards to vapes? I'm asking because I'm going there in Sept... I was just planning to do my normal thing... Tools and 2-3 30ml bottles in checked luggage; Mod, RDA, batteries, 30ml chubby gorilla bottle of juice in carry on.
    Current Mods
    • Triade DNA200
    • Therion DNA75
    • Broadside
    • Noisy Cricket V2
    • Punto Zero
    • Kimech
    • USV-L

Current Attys
    • Monster V3
    • Squape X
    • Kayfun V5
    • Reload RTA
    • Goon
    • Goon v1.5
    • In'sane
    • Hadaly
    • Tricktank Pro
    • Tokugawa
    • CSMNT x2
    • BMI Nova
    • Icon RDA
    • Pulse RDA
    • Narda

AVF Regular
    BTW i was planning to take a squonker with me... but suddenly thought about leaking issues on the plane... Would it be easier to take a standard mod and a dripper? If I do, I'd do a fresh wick at the airport before boarding, and the same thing coming back etc.
    Just not sure how to deal with a squonker... Would I have to empty the bottle etc?
    Current Mods
    • Triade DNA200
    • Therion DNA75
    • Broadside
    • Noisy Cricket V2
    • Punto Zero
    • Kimech
    • USV-L

Current Attys
    • Monster V3
    • Squape X
    • Kayfun V5
    • Reload RTA
    • Goon
    • Goon v1.5
    • In'sane
    • Hadaly
    • Tricktank Pro
    • Tokugawa
    • CSMNT x2
    • BMI Nova
    • Icon RDA
    • Pulse RDA
    • Narda

AVF Regular
    recently back from Thailand - Phuket Airport - secondary screening on exit of the terminal - big warning poster that ecig / Hokkah banned - however - when I came through - they were not scanning anything . . . Heard that they only scan hold baggage - to be safe - carried my mod / rta in pocket as I went through . . . Not problems leaving with mod / batts / 2 x 30ml juice in cabin baggage ..

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by nikolous View Post
    Fab, Have bad things happened in Thailand in regards to vapes? I'm asking because I'm going there in Sept... I was just planning to do my normal thing... Tools and 2-3 30ml bottles in checked luggage; Mod, RDA, batteries, 30ml chubby gorilla bottle of juice in carry on.
    Vaping is illegal in Thailand. They can't figure out how to tax it.

Like anything illegal in Thailand though, it's available and there are lots of Thai vapers. It would be *really* silly to vape in public though.

Here's a video I found that seems to have some current advice:

ETA:
    I've read an item from someone who got stopped in Indonesia because their vape was on the dashboard and was spotted. They got taken back to the police station and they were told they were going to jail..... Unless they'd paid an "on the spot fine". This will happen a lot. I think that if you are back at the police station the 'fine' will have to cover the officer, his superior, and probably anyone else who is there at the time. If you refuse to pay the 'fine' you will go to court. Don't get caught.

In this case the guy paid the 'fine' and lost his mod, but they put him through the wringer first.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 17-08-17 at 03:50 PM.
    gert likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by nikolous View Post
    BTW i was planning to take a squonker with me... but suddenly thought about leaking issues on the plane... Would it be easier to take a standard mod and a dripper? If I do, I'd do a fresh wick at the airport before boarding, and the same thing coming back etc.
    Just not sure how to deal with a squonker... Would I have to empty the bottle etc?
    Don't take anything good or expensive.

You don't have to mess with wicks just 'cause you're getting on a plane. If you store a squonker upright it will not leak. Tanks should be completely full, or store them upside down (bottom fed, so other way up). It's the air expanding in the tank that will cause it to leak. No air, or upside down, and it can't force liquid into the chamber.

Descending will not cause any problems. Leaking happens as you ascend and the cabin pressure drops.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 17-08-17 at 03:52 PM.

AVF Regular
    I don't have anything I don't mind losing though...
    Maybe I'll get a cheap clone squonker or something to take overseas with me then...
    Current Mods
    • Triade DNA200
    • Therion DNA75
    • Broadside
    • Noisy Cricket V2
    • Punto Zero
    • Kimech
    • USV-L

Current Attys
    • Monster V3
    • Squape X
    • Kayfun V5