Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By fabricator4
  • 1 Post By nikolous
  • 1 Post By bk_renesis

Thread: Could a squonk bottle cap cause a short?

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Could a squonk bottle cap cause a short?

Hey all.

I just got my hands on some replacement bottles for my frankie and boxer clones.
    I was sussing them out and I noticed the metal tops of the bottles make contact with the switches in both mods.
    Is this a problem? My guess is it would have to be touching an exposed part of the battery at the same time to short, but I haven't been squonking for long enough to be sure and I know better than to test it out myself.

I did read a few reviews saying the bottles work fine in the frankenclone but I still wanted to run it by you guys first.

Any advice?

AVF Regular
    Well it's not ideal, since the top appears to metal, or metalised. Looking at the Frankenskull that part of the switch appears to be the +ive, but only when the button is pressed if I'm guessing at the mechanics correctly. IF the top of the bottle also touched the -ive of the 510, or if it touched the battery case where the wrap had been damaged a hard short would result. In practice I don't think either of those things is likely, but it's something you should be aware of, and inspect the clearances and the battery wrap each time you put a fresh battery in, or if the mod suffers an impact or other accident.
    Kieran likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    Hey all.

I just got my hands on some replacement bottles for my frankie and boxer clones.
    I was sussing them out and I noticed the metal tops of the bottles make contact with the switches in both mods.
    Is this a problem? My guess is it would have to be touching an exposed part of the battery at the same time to short, but I haven't been squonking for long enough to be sure and I know better than to test it out myself.

I did read a few reviews saying the bottles work fine in the frankenclone but I still wanted to run it by you guys first.

Any advice?
    You can use shrink wrap around the cap or even electrical tape. I've seen it done but wouldn't do it myself
    Kieran likes this.
    Current Mods
    • Triade DNA200
    • Therion DNA75
    • Broadside
    • Noisy Cricket V2
    • Punto Zero
    • Kimech
    • USV-L

Current Attys
    • Monster V3
    • Squape X
    • Kayfun V5
    • Reload RTA
    • Goon
    • Goon v1.5
    • In'sane
    • Hadaly
    • Tricktank Pro
    • Tokugawa
    • CSMNT
    • BMI Nova
    • Icon
    • Pulse 22
    • Narda
    • Flave 24
    • HAKU!!!

AVF Regular
    Yes they can, you need to run the battery with negative down for these issues and heatshrink the contact all the way on the vertical.

If a metallic cap wears on your battery wrap while having contact to positive strip and negative part of the tube, then you have troubles.

Use bottles with smaller caps, or the new plastic/delrin/ultem capped bottles from I'M/Sunbox, Dees Mods, etc. Though they will likely be more expensive than the "mods" you are using.
    Kieran likes this.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    I appreciate the help guys.

Just ordered in some new bottles with smaller caps, hopefully they will be a better fit.