Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Vaping in Thailand 2017

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Vaping in Thailand 2017

I posted this on Whirlpool forum/travel/thailand tonight
    so I thought I better post it here as well as whirlpool might take it down for being politically insensitive
    I may also add some more insensitive stuff/links later

--- Vaping in Thailand ---

I've just got back from a few weeks in Thailand

Vaping has always been Illegal here but only sellers have been bothered by the authorities before.

The law has & still is importing/exporting & selling of vaping gear is illegal but no law for actual vaping.
    It seemed about 9 months ago something changed. The police/army is now targeting actual vapers.

The good – I’ve heard of vaping gear being found on departure at the airport with no consequences, police witnessing vaping & commenting nice flavor, my brother sells juice. I witnessed foreigner’s vaping with impunity.

The Bad – ( most stories from thailandvapers.com/forum, check this forum for any further escalation before you go ) The inbound scanners at Bangkok airport arrivals will detect vaping gear, the result is loss of gear with no fine, just go through “nothing to declare” with no scanning. I’ve heard of the army finding it at vehicle checkpoints with just confiscation. The police are worse with fines of 10,000 – 20,000B with confiscation, now if you don’t agree with this amount a few days/week in jail followed by a court appearance might get you a 3,000 -5,000B fine instead. One expat foreigner caught with vaping gear on his motorbike in a random breath testing station was going straight to jail/court until he bribed them but it costed him 50,000B

I did take my vape over there but ONLY vaped in private. There was a presence of army with checkpoint tables, on the train system there were full airport style scanners with bag checking tables, with this & the risk of being sighted vaping by the police/army I wasn’t game to try.

I’ve been going to Thailand for 30 years, vaping there for 6; have a Thai wife & a 2nd house 200km’s north of Bangkok. I met a couple of Thai vapers in my Thai town, they’re actually our handyman/builder for house repairs, and they’re scared, they will only vape in private or out on jobs. It’s harder to obtain vape gear/juice locally as Thai sellers are being imprisoned. The morning Thai TV news has daily warnings of up to 10 years jail for Thai/foreigners who ignore their warnings, I caught a late night news of a Thai army government minister saying in English that vaping is bad & illegal & comparing it to hard drugs.

My last morning of Thailand I packed up my vape gear as I wouldn’t have another private opportunity to vape for my flight home to Australia tonight. I bought my first packet of cigarettes for 6 years, they tasted bloody terrible, had about 6 in the following 24 hours, while having one outside Bangkok airport departure I noticed a male vaping 1mtr away from me, he turned out to be another Aussie with no idea of the laws or penalties, lucky no authorities were looking on, he did thank me for the information.

During this holiday we did go to Vietnam/Hoi An for a week where I vaped openly as I was led to believe it was ok there to do it, upon returning I also found out that it is banned there too as well as lots of other South East Asian countries, ie Singapore is a well-known banned country. So before you go to any of these countries do your research of the penalties/actual enforcement's.

Will I vape again on my next trip there ?, I'm not sure, I'm not willing to spend jail time for it. I'll just keep a eye on Thailandvapers.com/forum for further developments. It's all about tax or more specifically it's an item which is not taxed & is hurting the state owned tobacco monopoly & it's royalties for the governments bankbook, no different to the state owned beer brewery monopoly & the reason home brewed beer is illegal as well but I doubt you'll get 10 years for that.

- LINKS -
    Proposed Thai Laws, thailandvapers.com - https://www.thailandvapers.com/threa....16345/page-33 scroll thru this thread for current/past info !
    6 day jail for Swiss man - http://vaping360.com/vaper-arrested-thailand/
    jail/court then 50,000B bribe - http://www.tasteyourjuice.com/wordpress/archives/14108
    ThaiVisa's take on it - https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic..._campaign=news
    Last edited by MoReBeEr; 02-09-17 at 11:44 PM.

AVF Regular
    Crazy stuff...

Thanks for letting us know of your experiences. I'm glad I don't intend to travel anytime soon. Most stop overs on the way to Europe are in Asia and the UAE.
    fridgemagnet likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    : ponder: Thailand isn't Asia

Y
    fridgemagnet likes this.
    RIP 22.12.2016

Thank you very much for posting this!

I have an upcoming holiday to Thailand booked and paid for and figured vaping was par for the course over there (considering there's a forum called thailandvapers!)

Last time I was there I was smoking 2 packs a day for about $5 AUD. Now that I'm a vaper I might get arrested?!

This is not good news.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianS View Post
    : ponder: Thailand isn't Asia

Y
    You wanted me to say "South East Asia"? :-/

The three main stopovers are Bangkok (Qantas and BA I think), Singapore (not sure of the airline, probably Qantas), Dubai (AE). Singapore and Thailand are both definitely SE Asia. This is a part of the world that vapers REALLY need to educate themselves about if they are going to find themselves there, especially since the main stopover destinations are definitely NOT vaper friendly any more. Hong Kong and China are strange in that so much vaping equipment comes from China via HongKong, but it seems you could really get yourself in trouble in Hong Kong.

I'm pretty glad that Mrs Fab and I will be staying home for the foreseeable future now. I wouldn't do anything to jeopardise her trip, and the alternatives available are pretty grim. Probably NRT but I don't know how that would go. When we did travel I still smoked - never had a problem with the most dangerous form of nicotine use when we traveled except for trying to figure where it was acceptable to smoke (in the UK, that was bloody anywhere you wanted to LOL).
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    I noticed a long thread at Vaper Cafe regarding vaping in Thailand,
    I wouldn't even contemplate vaping there after reading it, to be honest. The consequences sound too severe to be worth he risk.
    emu likes this.

AVF Regular
    Thanks for the update re Thailand. Ive heard that its a massive No No but this info has me concerned. May have to resort to the stinkies for my next trip over.
    One thing i didnt know was vaping in Vietnam. Man i hate when one of my favourite holiday destination (South East Asia) has come so anal about vaping. Still going to travel there though.

BKA
    I was a vaper from Mar 2014 to May 2015.
    In May 2015 I went to Thailand and, after reading all the rules, decided to leave the gear at home and go cold turkey.
    Once there, I needed something so ended up buying a pack of smokes.
    First smoke, no headspins, no coughing, all nice and smooth (even the Whooping Cough I'd had for the prior 7 months instantly disappeared).
    Continued to smoke for the 2 weeks I was in Thailand then bought a pack of smokes back in Australia.
    First smoke, bang. My head almost exploded, started coughing and my clothes stank but I was hooked again.
    Researched which brand was most like the Thailand ones and have smoked cigarettes since.
    Last year I survived a massive heart attack and wanted to go back to vaping but the thought of getting Whooping Cough again was scarier than the thought of another heart attack.
    Anyhow, finally decided enough was enough. Juices may be different now so I went and bought an AIO a couple of weeks ago.
    Loved it for about 1 day until it started gurgling and spitting, etc. That put me off so threw it in the bin and went back to the cigs.
    Last week decided to give vaping yet another go so looked at all the youtube reviews for a better alternative and settled on another AIO, an Aspire PockeX.
    Works a treat and am currently using it along with the occasional ciggie (until my current carton runs out when it will finally be back to vaping only).
    Anyhow, if it wasn't for that trip to Thailand I'd be celebrating 3.5 years of vaping now and would be about $15,000 better off!
    Cheers.
    AllyP, emu and fridgemagnet like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SubyXV View Post
    Thanks for the update re Thailand. Ive heard that its a massive No No but this info has me concerned. May have to resort to the stinkies for my next trip over.
    One thing i didnt know was vaping in Vietnam. Man i hate when one of my favourite holiday destination (South East Asia) has come so anal about vaping. Still going to travel there though.
    Not sure that it is banned in Vietnam as a friend had a holiday there earlier this year and said there is quite a vibrant vaping scene in HCM city with some good vape shops with knowledgeable staff and although their prices are a little higher than australia thye are still reasonable !

AVF Regular
    Thanks Steve H, i wondered about Vietnam too, then remembered i follow a vape store (instagram) and that store is in Hanoi. Ill be vaping in vietnam for sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast