Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: What does it take to be an Australian Vaper?

  1. #1
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sydney NSW
    Posts
    1,032

    What does it take to be an Australian Vaper?

    Sometimes in an effort to understand why the smokers I have tried to help switch kept smoking, I compare certain personality traits between myself and them.

    Two of the most prominent traits I think are;

    1. Valuing and Willingness to try new things. When I go shopping at Coles, Woolies or Aldis, while I often collect my usual grub, I always look out for new things. Recently I decided to try out this Quorn mince. I mix it with McCormick's dry marinade that I dissolve in hot water and fry it up. Just tonioght, I decided to try out Sanitarium's Almond Milk dairy free icecream. This stuff is awesome, and I get the same little rush on the way home from shopping thinking about how I'm going to prepare my meals as I did 6 years ago when waiting for my first ecig to arrive. The smokers I tried to help are never into this kind of exploration.

    2. Ability and willingness to organise. To be a vaper in Australia requires careful understanding of what is needed to vape long term. You need to know how much nicotine you need, how long your coils last etc. This was definitely not a strong aspect in any of the smokers I tried to help.

    3. There's also the finicky apsect, and

    4. Possibly the online literacy aspect


    What other traits do you think are required for successfully switching to vaping in Australia?
    Last edited by PurpleVapes; 01-10-17 at 12:22 AM.
    AllyP likes this.

  2. #2
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Ararat , victoria
    Posts
    279
    The actual desire to quit smoking. All you get with vaping is the nic hit compared to all the other things in cigarettes which is what smokers are also addicted to. I prefer vaping but have a few beers then light up a smoke and damn you will notice the diffrence. Ecig will never give you that same "buzz"

    Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Fatman, Tara, DocM and 1 others like this.

  3. #3
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    17,417
    How many smokers are you trying to help switch to vaping.

    Vaping is not the only answer and maybe you are pushing smokers down a path they don't want to travel. Quit smoking programs, professionals and medicos have long pondered the questions of why someone will sucessfully quit smoking tobacco and they seem to agree that every method has its successes and failures. Why would vaping be any different.

    You are pondering the big questions but not taking into account the bigger picture. Some people just don't want to vape.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

  4. #4
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Griffith, NSW
    Posts
    3,424
    i usually just find out what makes them angry about smoking, whip them up in a frenzy till they quit out of spite.

    As ive said before i didnt quit for money, better health or fancy tech.
    The only reason switched in the beginning was my hatred for being the governments whipping boy every time they need a scapegoat.
    That burning hatred saw me through all of it, the side effects, the scams, the learning, AP and customs delay's.

    There is a reason the darkside of the force is stronger then the light.

  5. #5
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    2,174
    Sounds like you are taking this a little personally.

    Like Gandalf said above, the number one thing is they must want to stop smoking. For whatever reason. Actually, Id go as far
    as saying its the only thing. If you want something bad enough you usually find a way to make it happen.

    Personally, having someone continually going on about how bad smoking is and/or trying to talk vaping when I wasn't ready to
    quit would irritate me and probably put me off ever giving it a go.

    I think the most helpful thing you can do is just tell these people that you are there to help if they ever decide they want to try
    vaping.
    Last edited by Tara; 02-10-17 at 04:13 AM.
    Fatman, steve.c, DogMan and 2 others like this.

  6. #6
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,740
    Quote Originally Posted by Tara View Post
    Personally, having someone continually going on about how bad smoking is and/or trying to talk vaping when I wasn't ready to
    quit would irritate me and probably put me off ever giving it a go.
    this

    as well as put me off being associated with the person pushing his miracle cure
    steve.c, Tara and DocM like this.
    "Vapers- The evangelical vegans of the smoking community"
    Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

  7. #7
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Narre Warren North, Vic.
    Posts
    2,689
    Smoking is easy and gives the smoker a hit of what they want straight away. Vaping is neither these things.
    Fatman, steve.c, DocM and 1 others like this.
    Last cigarette, 11:00 AM 11th March 2015.

  8. #8
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Toowoomba (West)
    Posts
    7,897
    Quote Originally Posted by Cams View Post
    Smoking is easy and gives the smoker a hit of what they want straight away. Vaping is neither these things.
    Yep. Pull stick out of packet. Set fire to it. Inhale. Self medication doesn't get any easier than that.

    When it is eventually legalised, the first exposure most smokers will have to vaping will be convenience store products like Blu etc. The big advantage these products have over a lot of the stuff that we use is that they are almost as easy as setting something on fire. It's going to take a few years for people to educate themselves, and a lot of them won't want too much extra hassle. Pod systems might offer an intermediate step.

    I think the big mistake vapers make when they first start evangelising is assuming that everyone is the same as them. It's trap 101. Everybody has to find their own way - we can give people guidance in places where it is asked for, but apart from that evangelism has a very small success rate on it's own. This is why vape stores and forums are so important - people come when they are ready to ask questions.

    I'm not saying there is anything wrong with evangelism by the way, despite my wording - it's not meant to be a denigrating but I think most will see why it's the closest word we have. The first step is (should be) creating awareness of vaping and what it is, and the most successful way of doing this is not pushing too hard. Hoofy is correct - the dark side is way more powerful
    Fatman, DogMan, Tara and 4 others like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

  9. #9
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Narre Warren North, Vic.
    Posts
    2,689
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    Yep. Pull stick out of packet. Set fire to it. Inhale. Self medication doesn't get any easier than that.

    When it is eventually legalised, the first exposure most smokers will have to vaping will be convenience store products like Blu etc. The big advantage these products have over a lot of the stuff that we use is that they are almost as easy as setting something on fire. It's going to take a few years for people to educate themselves, and a lot of them won't want too much extra hassle. Pod systems might offer an intermediate step.

    I think the big mistake vapers make when they first start evangelising is assuming that everyone is the same as them. It's trap 101. Everybody has to find their own way - we can give people guidance in places where it is asked for, but apart from that evangelism has a very small success rate on it's own. This is why vape stores and forums are so important - people come when they are ready to ask questions.

    I'm not saying there is anything wrong with evangelism by the way, despite my wording - it's not meant to be a denigrating but I think most will see why it's the closest word we have. The first step is (should be) creating awareness of vaping and what it is, and the most successful way of doing this is not pushing too hard. Hoofy is correct - the dark side is way more powerful
    Good point there being that everyone has their own style of vaping that works for them. Can take a while to find it as well.
    DocM and emu like this.
    Last cigarette, 11:00 AM 11th March 2015.

  10. #10
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Brisbane QLD
    Posts
    579
    At the moment it not that encouraging for people who try to quit. I tried Vaping as "last" resort and all the other what I call "lame" no "worky" medication, gum etc.

    I had to take on board this before Vaping:-

    1. Needed Nicotine to help quit for good, which in turn turned me into a illegal individual as had to import it. "I am a Criminal" hahahaha.
    2. Had to hope like hell that nothing got seized in Customs.
    3. Hope that I never get tested - my Juice has content of Nicotine.
    4. The worst part; get the odd looks all the time, kinda like, "who is that goose" from Stinky Smokers" when Vaping in Smoking area.

    If you can handle the abovementioned you are good to go - sigh. Sad isnt it and very discouraging for new Vapers wanting to quit.
    ""Tootle Puffer" on Starter Kits.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.4
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
All times are GMT +11. The time now is 09:28 AM.