Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: sub-ohm help

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

sub-ohm help

Hi all hope all are well :-)

While the chief cheerleader and I are loving the penguins and the way it allows us to almost go unnoticed here in QLD, we have decided by popular vote (I wasn't asked to vote tho :-( ) that something different and a little bit more flavoursome for when at home would be nice. What we are looking for is advice on a sub-ohm setup.

The characteristics it would be required to have are pretty simple....

• Ease of use
    • My lady would like something that she can hold with one hand not two
    • Something that in her words... she can personalise a bit if possible
    • Something that won't kill us while we learn to understand on how to use the watt etc settings on them

I apologise if this is a big ask but taking the next step feels daunting looking at so many products, so we would rather have some guidance by the ppl at AVF.

Thanks all
    emu likes this.

AVF Regular
    You dont need to go to sub ohm for flavor. Have a look at the mtl thread.
    The Mouth To Lung Thread.
    Last edited by Midlife; 28-10-17 at 04:03 PM.

Agreed Midlife and I have read that thread which was very good btw. We are both more enjoying DL rather then MTL and I guess like all things new you want to experiment with different systems to be able to know what suits better. It's possible might be more then happy with the pengy's but unless we try we will never know.

For some reason I keep coming back to looking at smok sub-ohm kits but was open to advice or ideas from others.

AVF Regular
    Aren't the penguin coils 0.6 ohm amd 0.25 ohm? Under one ohm is sub ohming.

A VW mod will give you options though, with a 510 connector so you can try different tanks. The vast majority handle sub ohm these days, probably all of them.
    Dilating Pupils likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

Quote Originally Posted by DogMan View Post
    Aren't the penguin coils 0.6 ohm amd 0.25 ohm? Under one ohm is sub ohming.

A VW mod will give you options though, with a 510 connector so you can try different tanks. The vast majority handle sub ohm these days, probably all of them.
    Correct mate, and we are currently using the .25 as it is for DL. I am guessing I didn't explain it correctly my apologies as still coming to terms with lingo etc. What we are chasing would be classed as a VW kit. One that we can experiment with changing the settings on. The reason I said sub-ohm was a few sites had those kits in an area called sub-ohm lol.

So a good starter style kit to try VW then that meets the boss ladies criteria above.
    DogMan likes this.

AVF Regular
    The Eleaf pico/melo 3 kit has proven itself as a reliable setup, it is small and simply works.
    I have had 1 for well over 12 months and still use it every day
    The only thing that you may not like is it has a replaceable battery so you would have to buy the separately.

https://www.victoryvape.com.au/produ...nt=37813889358
    Fatman, Sublime, emu and 2 others like this.

emu
    AVF Regular
    Eleaf Pico and a Melo 3 tank would give you a great combo to try different settings, the Pico comes in heaps of colors and it's a one 18650 battery mod so it's very small, I would recommend buying some 18650 batts and a charger because as you progress you'll be able to keep using the batts in many different mods.
    The Melo 3 takes around 15 different coils including clapton, stainless steel, ceramic and the list goes on and on.
    Be a great way to find your feet and not expensive, you can even put your own custom logo in the pico lol.

Last edited by emu; 29-10-17 at 12:44 PM.
    Misohoni, Danny76, Sublime and 1 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Pico-Melo III kit.

Cheap, simple, works, problem solved.

I've got a heap of other stuff to use, but after a recent trip I needed to go simple and effective and that setup got it done. It's not 'the best' by any means but it's a good toe dip into being able to throw a bit of a cloud and see what that side of vaping is. Has enough to let you have a fiddle without making it too complicated to get results from.

If I was doing this a new, I'd probably look at the Pico 25 and whatever tank sits on top of it as a kit. That'll let you use larger diameter tanks in the future and I expect the larger OEM tank will be as good as or better than the now modest Melo III. Consider the coils going into it as well as I tend to take note of how much the coils cost as it's an ongoing cost and depending on how quickly coils go bad, it might be a prohibitive cost. It's why I suggest the Pico over something like the AL85 which will take 25mm tanks from the get go because the AL85 kit tank is actually better performing, but the coils are a lot more expensive and don't last half as long as the Eleaf coils I use (0.3ohm SS).

At the same time, sub ohm isn't necessary for good flavour as Midlife says, but it'll convert more liquid into vapour more quickly getting the desired results.

Hope that helps, you'll get a lot of good suggestions I'm sure. Just be aware I had a couple of banana benders turn their smoke stuffed noses up at my blowing clouds near them...

Stu.

(Is there an echo in here?)
    Sublime, emu and Dilating Pupils like this.

AVF Regular
    Lol I was gonna say pico.
    I think you have your answer.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    emu and Dilating Pupils like this.

lol consensus is in and decision is 95% made just one more query...

@emu thanks for the advice on battery muchly appreciate it. Is there any particular brand I should buy and any I should steer away from ?

@Schtoo I am just trying to find one fellow nana benderer here in Rockhampton that vapes. The boss lady and I are feeling lonely lol. And I agree with the whole nose turning bit as around here it seems the dob in a vaper and QH have really used scare mongering to the max.
    emu likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast