• 1 Post By DogMan
  • 2 Post By Fractal
  • 1 Post By Hoofprint
  • 2 Post By CCVaper
  • 5 Post By stylemessiah

Thread: Police now using special cameras to catch mobile phone users

AVF Regular

Police now using special cameras to catch mobile phone users

I just heard that police are using special traffic cameras to catch people texting or speaking on their mobile whilst driving.

What's the potential for these cameras to mistake a box mod for a mobile phone?
    DocM likes this.

AVF Regular
    I wondered the same thing. I'd be surprised if it got it right 100% of the time in any conditions.

AVF Regular
    Oh and I also saw that the only people really saying how good it is are the employees of the company making them.
    Northerner likes this.

AVF Regular
    the vic motorcycle police have apparently updated policies to maximise time spent between 2 cars for just this reason
    DocM likes this.
    "Vapers- The evangelical vegans of the smoking community"
    Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

AVF Regular
    I'm not worried about it, and I vape in the car all the time. Nothing has really changed, this threat has always existed (particularly in the past when the police weren't well acquainted with vape gear, and hadn't seen box mods before. These days they can spot one at 100 paces easily). Existing cameras are good enough to get a VERY clear shot of you - clear enough to stand up in court - over a surprisingly long distance. They can already see you vaping when they've got the ol' hair dryer on you as-is.

I'm guessing this new thing is just the same old radar gun, with an extra "beep beep point the thingie over there" alert when it detects mobile phone electronic emissions.

If they base the new detection tech off mobile phone emissions - even less of a chance of being mistaken (our mods just plain don't do that). Anyway - to be useful at all in court, the resulting camera shots WILL have to be clear enough to distinguish between mobile phones being used in-hand by the driver (illegal), by other car occupants (legal), and legal hands-free kits (still legal for now). By definition that rules out a camera image crappy enough to mistake a box mod for a phone.

If you're super concerned - use mods that are less likely to be mistaken for a phone. Something brightly coloured with a whopping big tank on it should do the trick. Or a little pod system. Don't hold it to your ear, and run it in stealth mode if it has a screen (anything that lights up your cars interior is going to get attention - from cops and other drivers. You really should be in stealth mode when driving anyway - particularly at night - as not to distract other drivers).

And if you REALLY want to be paranoid - just turn your phone off when you're in the car. Then worst case scenario and you get a fine, you should be able to produce phone usage logs from your phone provider (not off your handset - those are alterable) showing that your phone was NOT in use at or around the time of any "phone use in car" infringement notice, and should have pretty decent grounds to get a fine dismissed.
    DocM and emu like this.
    These things.

I have some things.
    I vape them.

AVF Regular
    secret to dealing with the pigs hunting the golden truffle is dash cams.

I have one for the cabin, i got mine cause they tried booking me for my dog sitting on the back seat.
    DocM likes this.

AVF Regular
    I was told even sipping a coffee while driving is an offence, by a cop. Same fine as using a phone apparently. I do a lot of driving, heck, I was rear ended by some woman in a brand spanking Porsche 911 convertible in the big smoke last Wednesday. Gotta love the damage a towbar will do to a Porsche! Nanny state and revenue raising mongrels is what we have folks!
    Anyhow, with the tech that there is now, a hands free is a no brainer if a phone will be the only thing that maintains your connectivitied existence. I have to have one for work to harass me, otherwise I'd throw it out the car window at all the distracting ads and 'you beaut' new barriers they've installed to slingshot you back into traffic after a moving powernap.
    When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.

Smokeless from 10/02/15 Thanks immensely to AVFers old guard!
    Heaps of stuff in high rotation

AVF Regular
    Fatman and disley like this.
    I will be travelling in time, please leave a message and I will get back to you last week.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by CCVaper View Post
    No that is where you're going

Probably outside a religious building, and out of habit....
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 09-12-17 at 05:24 PM.
    Fatman, disley, CCVaper and 2 others like this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by CCVaper View Post
    'Shakin' all over' on the radio I'd say being in Christchurch.
    When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.

Smokeless from 10/02/15 Thanks immensely to AVFers old guard!
    Heaps of stuff in high rotation