Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree145Likes

Thread: Information on Diacetyl, Diacetyl, Acetyl Propionyl or Acetoin in e liquids.

Post Information on Diacetyl, Acetyl Propionyl or Acetoin in e liquids.

This thread is for putting up information about the three chemicals in the topic, and their use, and possible risks to vapers, in eliquids and flavour concentrates.

I will start this off with a copy and paste of a post from Noe :

What's in your juice? Will it or could it make you sick?
    While the forum was down last night, I had a chance to search some other vaping resources for information.

One I came across was a "VP live" show on juice & the dangers of some ingredients & it opened my eyes with some of the info presented.
    On the show is an expert chemist, who I think is also on ECF & known as "Kurt the chemist", as well as a trained medical professional (sorry can't remember his name) & the VP live team.

Some of the points raised about PG allergies, vaping custard type flavors and other types of flavors or colors in our juice will surprise many of us, the information in this program is with out a doubt "must know" for all vapers IMO.

In short: Everyone should listen to this show, it has some very important & interesting information in it for all vapers!

https://soundcloud.com/vp-live/vape-...ment-pg-vg-not
    I will add some more posts containing information that relates directly to this topic, and would invite others to do the same. Eventually I would like to see this information placed as a sticky at the top of the forum, and ask the mods to consider this request. For this reason I would kindly ask all posters of information to keep it strictly known information, and links to any research that is appropriate. Please include any information or links that are appropriate.

Vendors are welcome to post whether their juices or concentrates, contain these ingredients or not and any information they may have found out about these ingredients.

People will then have a thread that they can read, that will have all known information in one place, and as this will hopefully be added to on a regular basis, the information will stay current.
    Last edited by spud; 22-01-14 at 05:39 PM. Reason: additions
    Noe, margyb, Blue Steel and 11 others like this.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

I think this was the one??
    Watched it ages ago if it was ( smile, smile, smile)

Vape Team Segment: PG / VG, Not Everyone's Friend? - YouTube

This post from Margyb relates to pg and vg intolerance/allergies. Thanks Margyb
    Last edited by spud; 22-01-14 at 02:36 PM.
    Rose likes this.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

Some information from Bethydy's personal research:

I actually wrote to 3 vendors Jen and here are the replies, but none specifically mentioning Acetoin:

Hi Nikki,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this. We use absolutely no Dicetyl or additives of any kind in our liquids. Thanks for the note!

Regards,

r.

Rodney Jerabek
    Founder / President
    Five Pawns Inc.
    (949)474-1150

*Nikki*

Hello there Our juices are indeed diacetyl-free! More information about the ingredients in our little juices can be found on our website: FAQ | AiV

I hope you are having a vapetastic day!

All the best,

~Hannah

Nikki
    There is no Diacetyl in any Good Life flavors.
    Rose likes this.

Thank you JenJ for this information:

Oh well done Nikki! I did write to House of Liquid ages ago about Diacetyl, but I didn't know about Acetoin which is often used in place of it. The guy in Video said that Acetoin from some producers does contain small amounts of Diacetyl, so it will be a tricky question for vendors to answer because they may just be assuming that Acetoin is a safe substitute when it's not....I assume the amounts are tiny. But still, I don't like the sound of 'bronchiolitis obliterans'...it's that last word that scares the shit out of me, lol!

Indigo have it clearly on their website that they don't use either Diacetyl or Acetoin. Crafting Our eJuice
    Rose likes this.

Thanks CMB for this link:

I've just been watching this from the VapeTeam with Dr Kurt, and they talk about safety for DIY mixing which is particularly relevant for us as we're basically DIYing when we mix up doublers.

Well worth a watch for both new and old vapers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOBD...e_gdata_player
    Rose likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by spud View Post
    This post from Margyb relates to pg and vg intolerance/allergies. Thanks Margyb
    At about the 25 minute mark they mention diacetyl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmDQU66moNo
    Last edited by margyb; 22-01-14 at 01:22 PM.
    spud likes this.

Thanks for this link Wayno:

Some interesting reading here Vanilla Custard Flavoring and Diacetyl

More good info from JenJ:

The only vendor I know of who is specific on their website about the two derivatives of Diacetyl is Indigo.

1. We don't use dyes or colorings besides what are present in the base flavors. These serve no purpose other than marketing.
    2. We don't use oil based flavorings - all of our flavorings are suspended in PG.
    3. We don't use ANY flavoring that contain Diacetyl, Acetyl Propionyl or Acetoin.
    Crafting Our eJuice
    http://indigovaporcraftingourejuice.blogspot.com.au/
    Last edited by spud; 22-01-14 at 01:24 PM. Reason: adding JenJ's link

Some information from the EU on Diacetyl, thanks MrsGruffy

Europe takes 'wait-and-see' stance on diacetyl flavouring

and from wiki:

European Union Regulation[edit source | editbeta]
    The European Commission has declared diacetyl is legal for use as a flavouring substance in all EU states.[26] As a diketone, diacetyl is included in the EU's flavouring classification Flavouring Group Evaluation 11 (FGE.11). A Scientific Panel of the EU Commission evaluated six flavouring substances (not including diacetyl) from FGE.11 in 2004.[27] As part of this study, the panel reviewed available studies on several other flavourings in FEG.11, including diacetyl. Based on the available data, the panel reiterated the finding that there were no safety concerns for diacetyl's use as a flavouring.
    In 2007, the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA), the EU's food safety regulatory body, stated its scientific panel on food additives and flavourings (AFC) was evaluating diacetyl along with other flavourings as part of a larger study. "The experts of the EFSA AFC panel and its working group on food additives will look at this issue to see if new scientific evidence is available that may require further actions. If the experts conclude that consumer exposure to diacetyl can reach levels well above those considered as safe and, that a possible health risk for consumers cannot be excluded when inhaling diacetyl, EFSA will give priority to the re-evaluation of this substance and provide detailed scientific advice."[28]
    From the EFSA (2007)

For the remaining candidate substance evaluated through the Procedure, diacetyl-trimer [FL-no: 06.134] the data available do not allow to anticipate hydrolysis to innocuous products. No No Observed Adverse Effect Level (NOAEL) exists for the substance or a structurally related substance to provide an adequate margin of safety under the conditions of intended use and accordingly additional data are required.
    and

For the candidate substance diacetyl-trimer [FL-no: 06.134] additional metabolism/toxicity data are required, and for 3-methyl-2,4-nonadione [FL-no: 07.184] data on genotoxicity are required before it can be evaluated through the Procedure.
    Can I paraphrase this information to suggest that the EFSA (european food safety association - governing body for regulation of GRAS products for each and every one of the EU states), despite having at their disposal the information from the USA about how diacetyl was the cause of several people developing a terminal lung disorder, they did not consider this data to be significant enough as evidence to even put a temporary ban on diacetyl as a flavouring. To this day, they have a "wait and see" policy and diacetyl is still in use throughout Europe as a flavouring. If you buy flavours from Europe, and you're reassured that they're GRAS, please keep in mind that in the EU, diacetyl is GRAS.
    Europe takes 'wait-and-see' stance on diacetyl flavouring

CMB
    AVF Regular
    More info than you can poke a stick at on actual research if you follow the cited references in this article from the CDC in the USA

CDC - Flavorings-Related Lung Disease: Exposures to Flavoring Chemicals - NIOSH Workplace Safety and Health Topic
    spud, vaping_gal and DAD like this.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast