Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: Help! I broke my taste buds! ( or possible cures for Vapers Tongue )

Help! I broke my taste buds! ( or possible cures for Vapers Tongue )

So I'm only new to vaping (approx 6 weeks) and have enjoyed it for the most part, but I think I've broken my taste buds.

When I bought my first lit I also picked up four Hangseng premises. My first impressions:

Dunhill: nice rich flavour, but I don't really like tobacco now do I
    Menthol: Way way too overpowering
    Red Energy: Doesn't quite taste like Red Bull, but not bad
    Grape: I was surprised to find this is my favourite of the four. I could (and did) vape it all day.

Fast forward about 4 weeks and I started to make comments to friends that the red energy was completely tasteless, but I didn't think anything of it. I ran out of grape so I switched to a mix of the other three.

Since then I have restocked and expanded my collection with both Hangsen premises and my own mixes, but have noticed the following:

Dunhill: Still has a nice strong taste
    Chocolate: Very strong taste also, but prefer it in a 50:50 mix with the dunhill
    Menthol: Very weak, can barely notice the flavour. If I didn't get that "cool mint" feeling when I breath in after a vape I don't know if I could pick it as menthol
    Red Energy/Energy cow: No completely tasteless - has a slight hint of "off" flavour
    Butterscotch: tastes kinda like 70% butterscotch, 30% nasty burnt taste
    Raspberry: Smells a little nasty and vapes like a slightly worse burnt version
    Grape: Smells god awful and vaping it makes me want to vomit. Tastes like burnt perfume mixed with metho (probably not exactly like metho, but its a disgusting taste none the less)

Now I have had my girlfriend, other friends and experienced vapers try a few of my liquids, both in their devices and in mine and they don't know what I am on about. They say they all smell and taste fine. I have tried several different clearos, replaced all the coils etc.

Why am I experiencing nasty burnt taste and this vile aroma and nobody else is? I fell in love with the grape liquid and it singlehanded converted me to vaping, but now I'd prefer to eat an ashtray rather than try to vape it.

What's happened to my taste buds?
    Last edited by Fatman; 03-12-14 at 10:46 PM.

AVF Regular
    This happens to most of us within the first few months of vaping,it's called vapors tounge.brush/scrape your tongue and drink plent of fluids and maybe even Vape unflavored for a few days.It does pass after a few days to a week
    GirlyPantz, Fatman, akef38 and 5 others like this.

Thanks for the reply.

I thought I was the only one. I really hope it passes soon as I don't really enjoy the flavours that are tasting "normal" and my friends are bugging me to mix up juices for them but I'm unable to taste test anything!
    GirlyPantz, Toddosh and DocM like this.

I've just had a quick google and it seems pretty common, but most people speak of not being able to taste (like my current experience with menthol and red energy) but I'm not seeing ,inch about the nasty burnt plastic taste I am getting.

For those of you that have experienced vaper's tongue - does it just mute you sense of taste or does it actually warp it so that some flavours are unbearably disgusting?

AVF Regular
    I am not sure how long you smoked but you had deadened them over time with the ciggies. It could be as simple as they are repairing themselves and you can now taste. Many new vapers will change over to different Eliquid as their mouth heals the same applies to the food tastes you liked or hated. Everything tastes different.
    GirlyPantz, akef38 and sc_rufctr like this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by aulonocara View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

I thought I was the only one.
    Oh no. You are not the only one.

I think we have all been there. Ain't nice, but it does pass.... eventually.

Dave
    GirlyPantz likes this.
    Sent by DaveJ

Sorry, I don't have a witty signature.

AVF Regular
    The first time this happened to me everything tasted awfull and it sucked,the next time I couldn't taste much at all so caped as much as the back of the cupboard stuff as I could but now it just mutes the flavours a bit so it's not to bad.
    GirlyPantz likes this.

AVF Regular
    I smoked a full 50 gram packet of Drum a day for more than 50 years before I started vaping.
    The bad news is since I started vaping (my sig will tell you how long, I can't remember?)
    I still can't taste any flavours. I've not had one ciggie since I started.

I'm thinking of making my future juices 18mg with the rest PG.
    I'm wasting money buying flavours I can't taste.
    I don't need visable steam when I'm stealth vaping in planes and terminals.

N Sydney, Aus, Earth, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster
    Quote Originally Posted by aulonocara View Post
    I've just had a quick google and it seems pretty common, but most people speak of not being able to taste (like my current experience with menthol and red energy) but I'm not seeing ,inch about the nasty burnt plastic taste I am getting.

For those of you that have experienced vaper's tongue - does it just mute you sense of taste or does it actually warp it so that some flavours are unbearably disgusting?
    Got the nasty burnt plastic taste too when it happened to me. Made sure my coils were fully soaked. Using 2.4 ohm coils back then. It went away mostly when my taste returned to normal but hung around for another week. After that always using atty or kayfun so I can't tell you if it was the clearo coil. I have my suspicions it was vapers tongue, vaping machine oil & burnt plastic that did it and was much worse than most.
    GirlyPantz likes this.

]6⁹.12[

Funny thing is the nasty taste kicked in the same day as I took delivery of 200 cloned protank coils from China. My first thought was I got ripped with dodgy coils, I went through one after the other and it wasn't until I threw at least 10 in the bin that I tried other clearos. Aspire BDC with used coil. Nasty. Replaced coil. Still nasty. Genuine Kanger coils. Nasty. Aspire Nautilus. Nasty. I even tried a CE4 before I asked my girlfriend to smell it.

Fingers crossed it clears up. I have just ordered another 20 odd flavour concentrates. It's gunna suck if they all taste like ass.
    GirlyPantz likes this.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast