Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Nicotine storage / degradation time .

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Hi Friends,

So firstly thankyou to everyone who supported my question around Nic storage, lots of info and well absorbed on my end, so i just wanted to run past you guys my decision Re: storage 100%PG 100mg Hi Liq product 1 Litre
    i have decided on 20 Amber 50ml T/E Boston Round Glass Bottles with 20 18mm Euro type T/E Cap + Drip . my thoughts before filling the bottles were to sterilize them, is that not a good idea, or should i go ahead and boil them....my thoughts behind doing it this way was that im only dealing with 50ml at a time...(logical..?)....(i dont know you guys tell me, this is my first run with a full litre of Nic Juice, and the stress i went through on a daily basis, watching that bloody tracking log and hoping to god that it sailed through customs isn't something i wish to go through again in a hurry), so with saying that i want to do everything possible to get this right...i would assume that my immediate Environment when going through this process is important, any experience with that would be helpful?. I still havent decided on fridge or freezer, im paranoid around both because they are both constantly being opened and closed maybe in a box in the fridge...????? tell me if im over concerned here friends, i need all your experience when going through this process. im under no dissolution regarding the toxicity levels and the seriousness of getting this process right. Thankyou again friends and i hope to hear lots of juicy feedback....
    emu likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by shanereis1200 View Post
    Hi Friends,

So firstly thankyou to everyone who supported my question around Nic storage, lots of info and well absorbed on my end, so i just wanted to run past you guys my decision Re: storage 100%PG 100mg Hi Liq product 1 Litre
    i have decided on 20 Amber 50ml T/E Boston Round Glass Bottles with 20 18mm Euro type T/E Cap + Drip . my thoughts before filling the bottles were to sterilize them, is that not a good idea, or should i go ahead and boil them....my thoughts behind doing it this way was that im only dealing with 50ml at a time...(logical..?)....(i dont know you guys tell me, this is my first run with a full litre of Nic Juice, and the stress i went through on a daily basis, watching that bloody tracking log and hoping to god that it sailed through customs isn't something i wish to go through again in a hurry), so with saying that i want to do everything possible to get this right...i would assume that my immediate Environment when going through this process is important, any experience with that would be helpful?. I still havent decided on fridge or freezer, im paranoid around both because they are both constantly being opened and closed maybe in a box in the fridge...????? tell me if im over concerned here friends, i need all your experience when going through this process. im under no dissolution regarding the toxicity levels and the seriousness of getting this process right. Thankyou again friends and i hope to hear lots of juicy feedback....
    OK, lots of questions :-)

That's a good quantity, and should see you right.

You'll only need 18 glass bottles to store the nicotine - because you are filling them right up the neck you get about 55ml or 56ml in each bottle. If you have some other nicotine though, by all means get enough to bottle some of that up too.

I just wash the bottles in hot water to make sure there's no residue from manufacture inside them. Leave them to drain/dry for 24 hours. There's no need to sterilise the bottles nothing is going to survive the nicotine and PG, both of which are sudden death to microbes.

Make sure you label the bottles. I use paper Quick-Stik labels from the stationary isle at Woollies. I write something like: "Nicotine 100mg/ml 9-8-17" the date being when I bottle it. I also put "Poison" written in sharpie on another label. I know it's poison but in the highly unlikely even that someone else comes across it, I don't want them to be under any illusions.

Safety is important when handling 100mg/ml nicotine. Work in a ventilated area so you're not breathing the fumes. Don't have dogs or kids in the area. If you get it on your skin wash it off immediately. If you spill any wipe it up immediately. After you've finished, wipe the bench down and wash your hands. Treat it like you would mixing round-up or any other poison and you'll be fine. Some people like to wear gloves and goggles and it's not a silly idea, but I'm comfortable enough to know I'm in no danger if I follow the previous precautions. I've never done it, but I've heard that getting 100mg/ml in your eye will *really* make you wish you hadn't. My main tools are a small funnel, a roll of paper towel, and lighting that lets me see the level of liquid as it goes into the bottle.

The hardest thing is to fill the bottles right up to the top without overflowing. You might find it's also handy to have a syringe that you can use to top the bottle off with. Just 2 to 4 mm from the top of the neck is fine - no need to go overboard and make life difficult.

The freezer is definitely the best place for your nicotine... the colder the better. I use plastic storage containers. Stack the bottles in the box then pad it out with bubble wrap so they can't roll around. This box then goes in the bottom of the chest freezer where it won't be pulled out by accident. Some people with children use a metal lock box to put the bottles in, then put that in the freezer.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 10-08-17 at 01:02 AM.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

thanks Fab.... great info....

AVF Regular
    Here's an example of nicotine in a freezer.

Its been stored in 200ml amber glass bottles, lids on tight, then the lids wrapped with electrical tape.

Lastly, they're placed in zip lock sandwich bags for an extra seal and prevent spills then labeled.

From here each 200ml bottle will be broken down as required into x4 50ml bottles with one kept in the fridge for use.

Limitless Lux / Buddha V3 30mm RDA
    iJoy Maxo / Mason 30mm RDA
    Pioneer4you IPV4S 120watt / Goon 24mm RDA

#rdalyf #clonelyf #buildinglyf #mixinglyf

AVF Regular
    Yup, me do that too
    eLicky and emu like this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 14/08/17

My first bottle of stuff was a 1 litre 100mg 50/50 in an HDPE bottle from MFS. I received it almost exactly 2 years ago to the day.

I stored it in the freezer from new, only took it out to mix up a new brew in my feeder bottle(perhaps three times a year) and I have used about 420 mls so far.

Last week, concerned about the amount of air in the bottle, I tipped the contents into a 500ml bottle and the remaining 80ml into a brown plastic 100ml(an old Health Cabin 36mg nic bottle).

The product has a faint tinge to it, not quite yellow, but just a enough discoloration to suggest that it has degraded slightly.

Nic lasts.

My other bottles are still factory sealed, but when I do crack them I'll break them down straight away into small amber glass bottles.
    emu likes this.

Just a general hypothetical question here guys: What is the acceptable colour range for brand new nicotine? I've only ever seen 100mg
    nic and it's always been clear. What if one was to order a 200mg bottle? Would a mellow orangy yellow colour be acceptable? Or would that
    indicate oxidation or degradation of the nic? I'm asking on behalf of a bashful friend who lives in Somalia BTW.

emu
    AVF Regular
    My acceptable color is clear, I had some discolored stuff and it was rough as guts so if it ain't clear I won't touch it.

Quote Originally Posted by emu View Post
    My acceptable color is clear, I had some discolored stuff and it was rough as guts so if it ain't clear I won't touch it.
    That's what my standard has been as well. I'm hoping the vendor comes to the party here. I'm surprised they shipped it.
    emu likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    Just a general hypothetical question here guys: What is the acceptable colour range for brand new nicotine? I've only ever seen 100mg
    nic and it's always been clear. What if one was to order a 200mg bottle? Would a mellow orangy yellow colour be acceptable? Or would that
    indicate oxidation or degradation of the nic? I'm asking on behalf of a bashful friend who lives in Somalia BTW.
    A slight tinge is fine, and won't usually contribute any extra off flavours. Colour normally indicates oxidation to varying degrees, so the darker the colour the more oxidation has occurred.

The colour can be slight straw, yellow, or pink. In a smaller bottle or test tube it can appear to have less colour or even none at all. The volume you are looking at will influence the depth of colour.

As the nicotine ages the colour gets deeper and progresses to orange or brown. Darkly coloured liquid can be seen in small amounts. It may affect the taste to varying degrees. It is not harmful to use, but may be less effective, have a more peppery taste, and more throat hit.

Nicotine flavour should be evaluated in it's final dilution, not as concentrate (eg by sniffing it), but we all tend to do it. This could influence your evaluation of the diluted product.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast