Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Nicotine storage / degradation time .

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by mercurymonkey View Post
    This may have been answered elsewhere apologies if it has.
    I received a 1 litre 100mg bottle of PG nic today. I'm quite poor atm. Will it keep in the fridge for a week or two before I can afford some amber glass bottles? It says on the plastic bottle store between 2 and 8 degrees.
    Best in the freezer, if you can.......
    Rabid non-smoker since 1630hrs 25/11/2016.

Pebble fondler, living life beyond the vertical.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    This may have been answered elsewhere apologies if it has.
    I received a 1 litre 100mg bottle of PG nic today. I'm quite poor atm. Will it keep in the fridge for a week or two before I can afford some amber glass bottles? It says on the plastic bottle store between 2 and 8 degrees.
    Using glass bottles to store nic in the freezer, IMO, is a bit like overkill.
    I store my nic in the freezer in the HDPE bottles that it arrived in, if it arrived in a PET bottle, I would most likely transfer it to a HDPE bottle first, the pop it in the freezer, there's a couple of reasons for that, not least being that PET is more brittle when frozen.

That glass is better than HDPE at room temperature is not something I doubt, nic may break down plastics over time (although I am yet to experience a PE bottle being degraded by juice enough to cause a leak) but in the freezer where molecular activity is virtually halted, any "breaking down" is going to be infinitesimal (in other words virtually non existent). So I prefer to store my nic, in the freezer, in the HDPE bottle, then transfer it to a glass bottle when I need to to have some on hand (at room temperature) for mixing.
    The advantage of using the HDPE bottle for storage in the freezer is that if it is dropped it is far less likely to break than a glass bottle that has been frozen is, glass is more easily broken when it is frozen than at room temperature.

Considering what we used to inhale when smoking, any minuscule amounts of chemicals from a HDPE bottle that has been frozen, is probably far less harmful than a few puffs on a single cancer stick IMO.
    CMB and emu like this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

emu
    AVF Regular
    Must be hard holding glass bottles with panda hands PMSL

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Quote Originally Posted by emu View Post
    Must be hard holding glass bottles with panda hands PMSL
    Must be even harder with flightless wings
    rockmoose and emu like this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

emu
    AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Noe View Post
    Must be even harder with flightless wings
    Not at all - the maids and butler's take care of that

Noe, gert, gtadmin and 1 others like this.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Hi Noe.

I got my nic from Hiliq in China. Do you have any idea if their bottles are HDPE or PET? I'm trying to get amber bottles but the cost with postage is too much after splashing out for everything else.

emu
    AVF Regular
    Hi Noe.

I got my nic from Hiliq in China. Do you have any idea if their bottles are HDPE or PET? I'm trying to get amber bottles but the cost with postage is too much after splashing out for everything else.
    Just checked all my empties from Hiliq but none of them are marked with anything so you would have to email Hiliq to ask them.

AVF Regular
    All mine from Hiliq are HDPE
    Noe and emu like this.
    Im going to create a disturbance in your mind.............Billy Thorpe

AVF Regular
    Hi Noe.

HDPE. Most bottles that chemicals and supplies come in are HDPE. PET is really only used for products on display (soft drinks, juices, and anything that has too look nice).

HDPE is the most gas permeable, ameliorated only by the thickness of the walls. HDPE has thick walls to both make it much tougher and to make it less gas permeable (stop the oxygen leeching though IOW) and it is further flamed on the inside as a last step to manufacture. All of this still makes it more gas permeable than PET, but only just.

If you can't buy the glass bottles don't worry about it too much. If Its a quantity of nicotine that you can definitely use in the next two years it should be fine if you keep it in the freezer. Glass is much more critical for very long term storage. I'll be moving house sometime around the end of the year and my main concern is stuff that is in PET but will be forced to spend time in normal or elevated temperatures while we get everything sorted out.

Just plan for glass later when it becomes more important.
    emu likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

emu
    AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by mallee00 View Post
    All mine from Hiliq are HDPE
    Where did you see the mark mallee, I've only got 1 Lt empties and definitely not marked. Could you do a pic..?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast