Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Nicotine storage / degradation time .

AVF Regular

Nicotine storage / degradation time .

I know its been asked a million times, I tried to do a search but could only find bits and pieces of the information i need so my apologies to all of you who have answered this question for the 1000 time.

Im interested in buying 1 litre of 100mg nic in a PG base -

What is it's life span in freezer?
    Given glass bottles, and nic transferred in a sterile environment. What would the expected degradation time be? EG. 10% Nicotine degradation per 6 months? Has there been studies done at all?

Ive got enough juice for 4-5 months premixed, but given the current climate over vaping i thought it prudent to stock up.

Is an order that large worth it or will it have severe degradation issues by the time im halfway through? For arguments sake lets say i vape 5ml a day.
    margyb and jedw757 like this.

Retired Account
    From what I've read, 5 years in the freezer is possible without degradation.
    Glass bottles, filled almost completely full.
    PG is probably better than VG.
    When it starts to degrade, it's likely that rather than "spoiling", it will just lose concentration slowly, so a titration kit is probably a good idea if you want to store nicotine over years. Actually, I think a titration kit is something everyone should have while the whole industry is unregulated. We have no way of knowing for sure what concentration of nicotine we're getting without testing it. Here's a link if you're considering purchasing one of these: Nicotine Test Titration KIT FOR Eliquid Burette Retort Stand Wash Bottle ETC | eBay
    Fatman likes this.

AVF Regular

Super Moderator
    Hi Fawks Industrial standards on pure nicotine suggest if it is kept in a stable temperature and light free environment it has a commercial shelf life of 2 years .
    This like all things vape related is a very subjective topic lol ... I think most flavourings etc break down quicker than nic once mixed .
    When your nic is diluted , as it is when you order 100mg or anything less than pure nicotine , the degredation might be sped up a little .
    That said my personal feeling is that nic in a freezer, in glass , tightly sealed with a minimal air gap should be good for at least 2 years .... probably up to 5 with some noticible drop in nicotine strength ( it might be down to 80-90mg by then ) ... Light , and storage in non food-safe plastics as well as heat are your enemies IMO .
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

N Sydney, Aus, Earth, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster
    Read the same. Bought more thinking 6 years is what it will last. Hoping much much longer. It's a small investment for piece of mind.

Points considered

-I lose a few hundred dollars of nic because it does not last beyond 5-10years
    --and it is available freely in 5-10years
    or
    -It is no longer possible to get and/or they tax the F out of nic. $$$

saving last order to when/if laws change.

Quote Originally Posted by margyb View Post
    Last edited by sushiaddiction; 01-03-14 at 01:08 PM.
    spud and chaotic thoughts like this.

]6⁹.12[

Just curious how long does pre mixed stuff last then I keep mine in a dark and reasonably cool cupboard but not a fridge or freezer, I think I've read about two years would that be correct

Quote Originally Posted by kc76 View Post
    Just curious how long does pre mixed stuff last then I keep mine in a dark and reasonably cool cupboard but not a fridge or freezer, I think I've read about two years would that be correct
    I have had some premix turn after 3 mths. And others last a yr. All kept in cool and dark. Seems like it depends on the flavour maybe. I don't know, but it definitely is not a good idea to keep premix for too long. Since we have ready availability to flavours, PG and VG there is no real need to stockpile them, imo.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    hi friends, so i have this guy down the street who i a courier offer me some nic 50/50 firstly it is a gastly brown color....what does that mean, he also noted that he has had the bottle for 2 to 3 yrs plus
    does nic change color over time, shouldnt it stay clear.... need some insight on this....????

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by shanereis1200 View Post
    hi friends, so i have this guy down the street who i a courier offer me some nic 50/50 firstly it is a gastly brown color....what does that mean, he also noted that he has had the bottle for 2 to 3 yrs plus
    does nic change color over time, shouldnt it stay clear.... need some insight on this....????
    You should not buy black market nicotine. It's probably third hand, no guarantee what it is or where it came from, usually.

If it's brown, it's oxidised. If it smells (like moldy canvas), it will taint any liquid you use it in. The most likely reason is that there's VG in it, and it's been stored at room temperature or even higher. Summer temperatures in most parts of Australia are higher than the recommended shelf temperatures. Nicotine oxidises to compounds like cotinine, which is the metabolised form of nicotine in the body.

The shelf life of VG on it's own at room temperature is 12 months. That stuff is well past its use-by date. Maybe if it had been put into deep freeze it would have been OK, but not now.

My advice is to skip it, and get some fresh 100mg/ml in PG from Hiliq.
    gert, DocM and shanereis1200 like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by shanereis1200 View Post
    2/3 years in a bottle incorrectly stored is a long time. Out of the freezer no problems but the reson it gets discolored is the nicotine oxidizing. This means it has lost its potency and will probably taste like sht.
    I personally would give it a miss.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    fabricator4 likes this.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast