Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Less harsh throat hit?

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Less harsh throat hit?

Hey all. I'm only about a week into vaping. Still smoking, but dying to get my juice sorted out so i can ditch the ciggies all together. A friend who's been vaping for quite a while, Nic'd up some of my juices with 100mg 100%pg nicotine to 6mg. I'm a pack a day smoker of 8mg ciggies. I'm finding the vaporiser very harsh still. I've ordered 1 litre of 50pg/50vg 100mg nicotine to mix myself (I'm aware of safety precautions required) I'm using a .5ohm Morpheus V2 with a eleaf istick 40w set to 15-20w. So... To my main question. Will my next mix be less harsh because i hav 50pg/50vg nicotine, not 100pg nicotine? And do certain juices mix better with nicotine than others? I'm sorry as I'm sure this has been asked and discussed many times. I searched the forum without any answers. Thanks in advance.

no doubt PG plays a part in the amount of throat hit you get, i reckon its more to do with the nic levels. I was a pack a day smoker as well. Smoked winfield reds, unsure what the strength of it was. But either way, i've got a 0.5 ohm coil build and even when i smoke 3mg nic i still find a relatively strong throat hit

Winfield reds are 16mg ciggies. Heaps strong. So, there's no real way around it?

I wouldnt say that there's no real way around it. After awhile you will get used to that throat hit. but i really advise lowering down the nic levels to a point where you feel comfortable.

HOWEVER, my nicotine was from soulblu and from what i hear, they arent the best nic supplier around. So maybe it could just be a nicotine problem?
    gusah193 likes this.

AVF Regular
    I dont think pg/vg aspect of your pure nicotine won't affect your throat hit as much because you will have diluted your juice+nic with pg and/or vg.
    When i first ordered nic, i got 100% pg because i read it somewhere that it lasts longer? (not quite sure if confirmed).
    I'd just go 3mg on next juice and see..

I like mine in 3.5 mg to 5 mg. (cheap JPS gold smoker. edit: not any more ))
    Last edited by gusah193; 12-10-15 at 10:43 PM.

AVF Regular
    Pg does last longer... It's not vegetable sugar.

The most likely causes of your harshness are high pg and low ohms /high watts. Try a 1.2 ohm coil at 8 watts with a 50/50 pg/vg juice. You'll be able to bring your mix levels up to 12-15mg easily without harshness. Much more like smoking and less like being a steam engine.
    gtadmin, Tara, 5555 and 1 others like this.

tmi
    +1 to all posts above.

I had the same issues as you and bought from places of verified nic quality - Hiliq and HC. Both gave me the same throat hit issues but that's almost disappeared about 2 weeks in. I had to keep sipping water in between vapes at times but that's all gone now. The pure nic hit was at first very harsh for me compared to cigs.

I also read nic in 100% PG is thought to last longer because it oxidises less easily I think. I'm fairly sure somebody's done something scientific to prove this but unless you're buying many litres of it (and at 6mg I hope not) then it's probably a non issue. Many people divide it up into their diluted concentrations in 250-500mg bottles and throw them in the freezer so they only need to open one at a time without exposing the entire lot to the air.

Just stick it out a week or two, even lower your nic to 1-2mg if you have to.
    RyanohRyan likes this.

AVF Regular
    I started on 24mg nic juices, with 1.8 ohm coils. 50/50. Smooth as.

You need that high nic to drop the smokes, unless you want to be burning through 20mls of juice a day and chucking clouds everywhere.
    Crisscross and Bassman like this.

This is awesome advise. Thanks so much. I'll pick up some higher ohm coils tomorrow. Also try a mix of 3mg and see how it goes. My 50pg/50vg is coming from my freedom smokes in the US.

AVF Regular
    The low nic juices are best for low ohm coils or people weaning off nic, go higher mate, much higher... Or it won't satisfy and you'll crave the smokes.
    Dhufish likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast