Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Doublers, are they really?

AVF Regular

Doublers, are they really?

Hi All,

Are 'doublers' always, really doublers?

I'm new to these things really, but having spent too long trying to make crap liquids work, then making my own and then getting my hands on some doublers over Christmas (when I was in the land of the doubler!), I've decided that they're what I'd like to do, but I'm finding that 'doubler' isn't actually it.

It's not a bad thing, but I've found that simply adding the same volume as what's in the bottle (with that handy extra space in it) ends up, more often than not, too strong.

Exhibit A; I just took delivery of a few bottles from the Steamery (thanks!), and as I was running quite low, decided to mix up the one flavour that didn't need much time to settle down and mellow out, berrylicious it's called.

Mixed it up 50:50 with some VG, PG and the required nicotine and tried it out. Not that nice actually. Not too bad going in, coming out a bit of an astringent taste. Anyway, just not right. Decided it was probably overkill strong, took out a small bottle's worth of it and added 20% PG and hey presto, lovely. Going from "berry, blech" to "that's blueberry, and that's raspberry and I think there's orange in there too?" is kind of noticeable.

(And FTR, this stuff is pretty danged good once dialed in!)

What are your experiences with these things? Are they just right, too strong or not strong enough? It seems to me that it's variable depending on where it comes from (W&W doublers were bang on the money I think, maybe too strong but still good at that potency) but I'm wondering if I need to fiddle and fudge a little to find what's nice for me and what I'm running it through.

The "what I'm running it through" is also hugely important. A single coil Avocado gave me nothing but a hint, doubling the coils nearly took my head off, and that was great. Single coil blocks got 'lost'.

I've still got plenty of diy flavours and whatnot to play with, but it can get tedious and when I'm busy I find "Oh, I have no liquid" and throw together something fast and turn it to clouds before it's had enough time to get friendly with itself properly. The flavours I can get now are also somewhat limited, and by the time I go through the hassle of getting the ones I want, it's just as easy to have some doublers sent from Oz as the rules here in Japan are similar to Oz, but they've never heard of a doubler here. And pre-made RTV (no nic) costs more than a doubler shipped to me.

I've diy'd plenty, so fiddling and fudging isn't difficult, but still. Suggestions are welcome.

Stu.
    steve.c likes this.

AVF Regular
    doublers is a bad term.
    It should be labeled "doubler as long as you mix it as the maker envisioned it"

take Chloe,
    Damsel and Me have vape so much of it Kingy probably owns a houseboat,
    but since i like mine with Max VG it dosent taste anything like his.

In general on an international scale, Aussie juices tend to be more on the subtle side of things.
    Yank juices are stronger but also disgustingly overpowering.

AVF Regular
    What Hoofy said. What device you use it on, how much PG, the nicotine you use and above all your personal taste will have a lot to do with how you find the final product.

I suspect I would dilute a lot of liquids more than the designer intended. Flavours that are too strong become unpalatable quickly for me. You are on the right track mixing to taste. Most of my DIY has less than 10% flavouring: I look at some of the clone recipes that call for 20% or even more and I can't imagine myself vaping or liking them.
    Whisp and anthony.bagala like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Fab I think the 10% vs 20% flavouring in some juice recipes has a lot to do with concentrates used - if all concentrates on the recipe are FA or INW the flavour percentage would be good at <10% since they're so strong, but if they're mostly using TFA or FW in a recipe 20% might be reasonable.

Yeah Schtoo, I have a few doublers that I think should be triplers or quadruplers, and I use a single coil Avo, lol!! Easiest way to deal with it wilts keeping your nic % the same is to mix them as doublers to your desired Nic strength, and mix up a bottle of unflavoured at the same Nic strength (I vape unflavoured sometimes so always have a bottle mixed up), and just use your bottle of unflavoured to dilute your too-strong doublers.
    Cat likes this.

AVF Regular
    Doublers I think is more a description than litual. The bottle is half full which looks like a rip off until you understand it is so you can add your own NIC and PG/VG to your liking. Its kind of DIY without the hassle of working out flavour profiles.

Yuz
    I'm guessing the closest to intended flavour mix would be a "ready to vape" with 100 or 200mg nic fraction added?

AVF Regular
    Hoofy I hate how you crap on yank juices all the time In all honesty how many have you tried? One or two of the
    more budget types maybe. They are different like the Aussie juices are different.

The first two sentences of your post I agree with :P

Cat
    AVF Regular
    I err on the side of caution and just add some in increments. To me, some doublers just taste like regulars, though I haven't tried many. I'm sure other people's palates are much more refined than mine after years of smoking.
    Be Realistic. Plan for a Miracle.

Quit smoking 22 Sep 16

AVF Regular
    I have tried lots of yank juices. They are pretty much all far too sweet and in your face for my liking. I've only ever tried two I like, and they could never be my ADV.

If you like sweet in your face stuff you'll like yank juices. For those who don't, most of them won't be for you.

Cat
    AVF Regular
    I have tried a few US juices and I really like them but I avoid the crazy flavours.
    Be Realistic. Plan for a Miracle.

Quit smoking 22 Sep 16

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast