Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Preservatives in PG/VG?

AVF Regular

Preservatives in PG/VG?

Hi All
    does anyone know or where I can find info on if the OG and VG liquids have any preservatives in them? Wifey, sometimes has a lil trouble breathing with certain blends and I'm trying to figure if its a PG VG thingy
    anyone had any similar experiences?
    Wifeys allergic to sulphur anyone know if theres any in these products?
    I like wifey a lot so Id like to try zero in if theres a cause in vaping, I know there can be allergy to PG like guy at work has, any ideas

pls thanks and insert simplez sound effect
    emu likes this.
    One failed lab experiment away from obtaining superpowers

https://media.tenor.co/images/860c5d...011a/tenor.gif

AVF Regular
    Sydney (or lurking in the shadows behind you)
    No preservatives, they put that in the flavouring ?!?
    emu likes this.

I Do Whatever I Want,
    Whenever I Want,
    And If It Doesn't Suit You,
    Go Start Your Own Empire

Anything I write on this Forum is purely my opinion and should never be read as fact!
    (or I could just be wrong)
    Please read the Forum rules
    (or wait for Johnny Depp to do the movie)
    Small reminder
    It's all about the cigartte ... Stupid

emu
    AVF Regular
    Try her on unflavoured Sully, start at 50/50 Pg - Vg see how that goes, flavours of any kind does that to me as well which is why I vape unflavoured 99% of the time. Took me 2 years to work it out lol. If the breathing difficulties persist with that try 100 VG unflavoured with distilled water to thin it down. Process of elimination till she finds whats causing it.
    Sully likes this.
    emu's pre-loved mowers.com

AVF Regular
    Agreed, there's no requirement for preservatives and none are used in PG/VG.

It could be a slight sensitivity to PG as it is a mild irritant. People's tolerances vary from bucket loads to very little. Most people have *some* tolerance otherwise they would have adverse reactions to medications, foods, cosmetics, and even some injectable medications and vaccines use a PG carrier. My advice would be try max VG liquids and see if the problem dissipates. You can then introduce progressively higher amounts of PG to find the tolerance, but I would recommend staying a bit under that tolerance level rather than right on it.

If she still has problems it could be the little bit of PG in the flavourings, the flavourings themselves, or the VG. This last one appears to be extremely rare in my experience.

It's hard for a normal vaper to understand the issues fully - I experienced this recently with a friend who is PG intolerant. If I'd been a bit more on the ball I could have got him sorted out way sooner.

He now vapes 100%VG, a bit of nic in VG, and a little distilled water to thin it as necessary. I'm not even sure he's adding the water as he only takes the odd puff here and there.

In any case, keep us posted on how this goes. It's vital to find a solution that works for her.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    cool, thanks guys will take notes on whats being vaped pg/vg ratios and advise, mate at work is pg intolerant, makes his eyes water and nose run so he had to stop using it, hes max vg now
    thanks !
    One failed lab experiment away from obtaining superpowers

https://media.tenor.co/images/860c5d...011a/tenor.gif

AVF Regular
    Just to add some information from my own perspective on PG and breathing difficulties.

I was an asthmatic for all of my smoking life. Daily use and increasing use of rescue inhalers was one of the things that convinced me that I really had to change my lifestyle. Since I gave up smoking four years ago (I'm a couple of weeks short of four years) I've needed an inhaler only on very rare occasions, normally when I'm very ill which thankfully has been very rare also since I gave up smoking. I can walk 7kms and do strenuous activity now with no breathing problems.

However....

I vape 60/40 PG/VG and I've noticed that if I vape too much or at too high a power, I do get a slight tightness in the chest. I do not consider this a PG allergy, but rather the result of 35 years of smoking combined with overuse of my vape. The solution? Turn the watts down and vape less; this invariably solves the problem.

Last night we had a change in the weather and it triggered something really weird. Suddenly my nose started running like a tap, and I got a bit tight in the chest. Not actually wheezy, but something that I've learned to recognise as a precursor to a more serious problem. I simply reduced my vaping during this time until it eased off.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 04-03-17 at 03:16 PM.
    Deadonarrival and Sully like this.

emu
    AVF Regular
    I've morphed into a Vunky, I went from a 12 watt tooter for almost 2 years to a high watt cloud junky overnight. I'm comfortable at any ratio but the flavour has to be no more than 1% or my breathing is affected, even the nic being to high can cause the same thing for me. 3mg unflavoured at any ratio and I am superbird, I have no idea what is in flavouring but it don't like me and even nic is worth considering dropping down as far as you can as it is an active ingredient.
    emu's pre-loved mowers.com

AVF Regular
    Fab alluded it to it in a earlier post but here is my perspective. I suffer allergies and when I started vaping I was almost allergic to the world. Vaping helped reduce that substantially.

But.... Back then high pg ratios were the norm. Low wattage and higer ohms. When it became the trend to move to higher VG levels I tried to go with it. I can't do it. My chest tightens, I wheeze and cough. So I remain at 70% PG.

The other major change in vaping was the move to organic cotton. I also cannot vape with cotton wicks (of any sort ....... I have tried so dont list all the types for me). Cotton gives me an extremely dry throat and I start to cough. I dont know if this is an allergy to cotton wicks or just the density of the vapour. These symptoms were allieviated by rewicking with rayon. As a carto user from the beginning this is comfortable to me.

Lastly the eliquid itself. I vape mints and menthols partly because I cant taste a lot of other flavours but my point is that my coils remain fresh and clean. I get no residual gunk being vapourised. I also change my coils (rewick) often well before I need to because older wicks also seem to trigger some coughing.

I often think that higher PG gets a bum rap and it should not be discounted as way of vaping.

Ps If you wife is using an inhaler of any sort for her allergies she has already been exposed to PG and would know if she was sensitive to it.
    Last edited by Crisscross; 04-03-17 at 04:34 PM.
    Noe, gtadmin, Fatman and 4 others like this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisscross View Post
    Fab alluded it to it in a earlier post but here is my perspective. I suffer allergies and when I started vaping I was almost allergic to the world. Vaping helped reduce that substantially.

But.... Back then high pg ratios were the norm. Low wattage and higer ohms. When it became the trend to move to higher VG levels I tried to go with it. I can't do it. My chest tightens, I wheeze and cough. So I remain at 70% PG.

The other major change in vaping was the move to organic cotton. I also cannot vape with cotton wicks (of any sort ....... I have tried so dont list all the types for me). Cotton gives me an extremely dry throat and I start to cough. I dont know if this is an allergy to cotton wicks or just the density of the vapour. These symptoms were allieviated by rewicking with rayon. As a carto user from the beginning this is comfortable to me.

Lastly the eliquid itself. I vape mints and menthols partly because I cant taste a lot of other flavours but my point is that my coils remain fresh and clean. I get no residual gunk being vapourised. I also change my coils (rewick) often well before I need to because older wicks also seem to trigger some coughing.

I often think that higher PG gets a bum rap and it should not be discounted as way of vaping.

Ps If you wife is using an inhaler of any sort for her allergies she has already been exposed to PG and would know if she was sensitive to it.
    Yep, I like it. Makes sense.

I just need to point out the obvious though, in that vaping high PG also does require those lower watts. Trying to vape 70% PG at 50, 60, or 70 watts is not going to end well. 12 to 16 watts would be more suitable, or maybe a bit higher like I do with 60% PG. I'm a sub-ohm tweener.

Recently I sent some of my 60% PG blue slushy to someone to try. The comment came back that it was nice, but it had a huge/massive throat hit. Yeah well, I remembered at that point they are probably running very high watts and low ohms. That's going to feel like a pretty big kick.
    emu likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    Yep, I like it. Makes sense.

I just need to point out the obvious though, in that vaping high PG also does require those lower watts. Trying to vape 70% PG at 50, 60, or 70 watts is not going to end well. 12 to 16 watts would be more suitable, or maybe a bit higher like I do with 60% PG. I'm a sub-ohm tweener.

Recently I sent some of my 60% PG blue slushy to someone to try. The comment came back that it was nice, but it had a huge/massive throat hit. Yeah well, I remembered at that point they are probably running very high watts and low ohms. That's going to feel like a pretty big kick.
    Absolutely, High PG menthols would destroy you at those wattages. I vape 5-7mg at 8-9 Watts on a 1.8ohm coil
    fabricator4 and emu like this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast