Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: First real juice purchase - advice?

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

First real juice purchase - advice?

Hi all,

Have spent the last few days reading up on and experimenting with the Aspire Zelos - as nice as the Kentucky Bourbon juice is, I want to get something closer to my smoking tastes while I get off the darts properly.

Looking at VapourEyes.co.nz - they have two that look appealing: Odin's Beard and Caramelised Tobacco.

I was planning on getting 60ml of each at 9mg nic.

Any thoughts from the collective?

AVF Regular
    I've tried caramelised tabacco and Odin's raven both great tabaccoI.
    The caramelised tabacco is rather sweet with a very slight tabacco note kinda like the original cafe cream cigars imo very light and not to intense.

I haven't tried Odin's beard but Odin's raven is a very strong rich tabacco that tastes like a very high quality cigar. Little bit of sweetness but defiently more of a heavy tabacco, goes great with whiskey.
    I've tried a few tabaccos but these are always my go to's.

Excuse any errors walking and typing is not a good combo lol

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce.C View Post

I haven't tried Odin's beard but Odin's raven is a very strong rich tabacco that tastes like a very high quality cigar. Little bit of sweetness but defiently more of a heavy tabacco, goes great with whiskey.
    Lol sorry - I meant Odins Raven, but was typing while laughing at my own mental "By Odins Beard!" joke and fucked up.

Thank you for the review - it's a bit intimidating buying anything for the first time, especially when nic levels are in the mix!

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotocon View Post
    Nothing is going to actually replicate the flavour of a cigarette, and in a couple of weeks you may be glad of that. Some get close though, using tobacco bases that take you right back to ashtray days...

* Odin's Raven looks like a good choice but do get a few different flavours to try, including some that may not be on your first list. Study in Apricot is spoken of highly by some.

* ADV1 might be something that you can fall back on if you have a bad vape day.

These are only suggestions, you must decide because everybody is different when it comes to flavours. You'll hate half the things you think you'll like and like half the things you didn't. Some people report liking e-liquid flavours they hate as foods for example. Keep an open mind, and try different things.

Most of the problems you think you will have with transitioning to vaping will go away when you get the right nicotine content. To that end, if you need/needed a smoke as soon as your feet hit the ground in the morning, then 12mg/ml might be closer to the mark on the Nautilus 2 tanks that come with the Zelos kit. One way to do it is to buy some 8mg/ml and some 18mg/ml and then you can mix them to get anything in between. Once you know where you need to be then you can go to town, but I'd suggest that 9mg/ml might not be enough if you want to transition to vaping straight away. If you are too low then you vape more without any real sense of satisfaction so If you really don't want to buy the two different strengths maybe consider getting the 12mg/ml.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    Nothing is going to actually replicate the flavour of a cigarette, and in a couple of weeks you may be glad of that. Some get close though, using tobacco bases that take you right back to ashtray days...
    To be honest, I already am grateful for the difference. Smokes always left me feeling shit - nothing like that with the vape.

* Odin's Raven looks like a good choice but do get a few different flavours to try, including some that may not be on your first list. Study in Apricot is spoken of highly by some.

* ADV1 might be something that you can fall back on if you have a bad vape day.

These are only suggestions, you must decide because everybody is different when it comes to flavours. You'll hate half the things you think you'll like and like half the things you didn't. Some people report liking e-liquid flavours they hate as foods for example. Keep an open mind, and try different things.
    Noted - I do have a 15ml doubler of Apricot from Shoozitech (where I bought the starter), so I'm interested to see how it goes. I fully intend for vaping to be a very different habit/experience, so I'm not shy of trying new flavours. The only thing I'm trying to do at the moment is bridge where I want to be from where I am, and I think I'll need a facsimile of a smoke to get me through.

Most of the problems you think you will have with transitioning to vaping will go away when you get the right nicotine content. To that end, if you need/needed a smoke as soon as your feet hit the ground in the morning, then 12mg/ml might be closer to the mark on the Nautilus 2 tanks that come with the Zelos kit. One way to do it is to buy some 8mg/ml and some 18mg/ml and then you can mix them to get anything in between. Once you know where you need to be then you can go to town, but I'd suggest that 9mg/ml might not be enough if you want to transition to vaping straight away. If you are too low then you vape more without any real sense of satisfaction so If you really don't want to buy the two different strengths maybe consider getting the 12mg/ml.
    Good call - I'll grab the two different levels in one flavour for now. I should probably focus on getting the nic level right before playing with taste?

Thank you again for your help!
    fabricator4 likes this.

AVF Regular
    Good call - I'll grab the two different levels in one flavour for now. I should probably focus on getting the nic level right before playing with taste
    Yes absolutely, though it can be pretty miserable if you only have one juice that you detest.

Everybody is different and what they really need from their vape can be different as well. For me it's the sensation of nicotine, throat hit and seeing vapour on the exhale. Flavour is less of a deal breaker, as long as it's not awful.

To use the doubler you will also need to buy some PG and VG, and some concentrated nicotine like 100mg/ml since it will have none. You can use syringes for measuring as they are fairly cheap, and you might need some spare bottles to start with to mix your 8 and 18mg/ml and the doublers in. Mix small batches to start with - just enough for a tank, then you can get things dialled in without wasting anything. To that end you'll need 1ml and 2.5ml syringes, and later 5,10,20ml etc as you scale up the batches.

Before you start playing with concentrated nicotine do a bit of reading and ask any questions you may have. There's a sticky thread on nicotine and safety here:
    Nicotine ... All new members please read !
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

Looking at VapourEyes.co.nz - they have two that look appealing: Odin's Beard and Caramelised Tobacco.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Don't get that Caramelized tobacco one, I dunno about Odin's Beard but I really gotta say stay away from their Tobacco blends, Having tried Evening Tobacco and Caramelised tobacco I can safely say that you don't want to be stuck with that to vape.
    I definitely recommend you get something more safe, like juicy fruits or morris the grape.

It's up to you but you want to have at least 1 option that isn't a tobacco, I mean I'm not sure what your smoking/vaping background is, but I found both times I bought the tobacco flavours from VE I have decided that they are really not that nice, and even VE themselves warn people on the tobacco approximations being something you'll either love or hate.
    I can tell you that 12mg is a good starter though, and if you hate fruit flavours the nicotine makes it sharper and less sweet.
    Last edited by Vice Admiral Bone to Pick; 02-05-17 at 03:41 PM.

AVF Regular
    Where the spectre of Bjelke-Petersen still looms...A Banana Republic inside a Banana Republic
    Personally I found a bold flavour that was removed tobacco to be the solution for me. I tried a number when I first started but could never settle on my anything long term. Once I got past that I moved to VE Rasmus as my ADV for a long time. Now there are just too many great flavours to settle for

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
    fabricator4 likes this.
    Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Quality Australian Made eJuice: Bunyip Vapes

AVF Regular
    Geeze! Taste is purely subjective, each to his own. Odin's Raven to me tastes like arse whereas I love Caramelised Tobacco. Me. I'd tell you to get A+O, but you might hate it. You're going to need to get a few flavours in tow to see what YOU like. And what you like now you might hate 6 months down the track and vice versa. Get at least half a dozen flavours to try. Something only you can work out.
    Noe, Stomp and ybnice like this.

I'm really interested to see what my usage levels are like.

While I like the Kentucky Bourbon, I decided to try the Apricot doubler they gave me for mixing with nic. No nic liquid yet, but went through a tank of it like nothing - really delicious!

It really is a completely different habit to enjoy!
    fabricator4 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast