Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Adding Nicotine to 0mg Juice

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Adding Nicotine to 0mg Juice

I've been lurking on this forum for a while trying to soak in everything there is to know but obviously there's a lot to take in and some questions are harder to find an answer for than others.

My main concern at this time is finding a reliable source for juice. I've only been vaping for a short while and have four different varieties of juice which I bought with my new kit but I'm keen on trying some different flavours. The one I'm vaping now is Time Bomb Joker. It's supposed to be a raspberry / blueberry blend but it reminds me of a strawberry lube I once used as a kid. A bit sickly sweet for my taste but it's a 12mg mix so it's still doing the job.

From what I've gathered, the smart thing to do is to get my hands on some Nico and add it to the 0mg stuff I can buy here but I have a few questions, which are probably stupid but I'll ask anyway.

Firstly, everyone seems to recommend the 100mg/ml nico but wouldn't the 200mg/ml be better? I'd only have to add half as much so it'd last twice as long, wouldn't it?

I also have a question regarding what sort of base I should source it in. The 100mg/ml Nico on HiLIQ comes in a 100% PG base but the 250ml 100-200mg/ml comes in a variable PG/VG base. If I buy a 50PG/50VG juice, would I be better off adding a 50/50 Nico blend?

The last question I'll ask (but by no means the last question I have) is about "NTN - Non Tobacco Nicotine". I've seen a couple of posts on here about it. In short HiLIQ apparently stocks it but it's more expensive. Cost isn't really an issue but taste is. From most reports it seems to be pretty popular... but I can't find it on the HiLIQ website. Am I missing something or has it been discontinued?

AVF Regular
    You could use 200mg/ml, its more expensive obviously but would work well mixing into 0mg juices because there'll be less watering down the flavour.

You could also absolutely do 50vg/50pg nic ratio which again would be a benefit into mixing 0mg juice, you'd be keeping the final ratio more even.

When mixing 100% PG @ 100mg/ml anything over 6mg amounts of nic waters down the flavour considerbaly and throws the vg/pg ratio heavily into PG's favour.

So yeah, you've got your thinking cap on.
    Last edited by eLicky; 19-05-17 at 12:56 AM.
    Screwy likes this.
    Limitless Lux / Buddha V3 30mm RDA
    iJoy Maxo / Mason 30mm RDA
    Pioneer4you IPV4S 120watt / Goon 24mm RDA

#rdalyf #clonelyf #buildinglyf #mixinglyf

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwy View Post
    From what I've gathered, the smart thing to do is to get my hands on some Nico and add it to the 0mg stuff I can buy here but I have a few questions, which are probably stupid but I'll ask anyway.
    There are absolutely no stupid questions here. If you don't know it or you're not sure, just ask.

Firstly, everyone seems to recommend the 100mg/ml nico but wouldn't the 200mg/ml be better? I'd only have to add half as much so it'd last twice as long, wouldn't it?
    Yes it is, but we don't normally recommend it until people have some confidence and experience in handling nicotine. With 100mg/ml it would be pretty hard to hurt yourself unless you did something silly like drink it. If you spilt some on your clothes and didn't wash it off you'd get pretty nauseous and if you splashed some in your eye you'd be in a world of hurt (don't try this at home folks!) but it wouldn't actually do any permanent harm.

200mg/ml has a bit less safety margin. Sniffing it in the bottle is about the same as vaping on 18mg/ml - it's more potent.

Having said that, if you are confident handling poisons there is no reason at all why you couldn't use 200mg/ml. Basic safety precautions are all you need - work in a well ventilated area, no kids or pets in the area, wear gloves and eye protection, clean up any spills immediately... stuff like that. To be honest the only ones I follow religiously are the ventilation bit and no kids or pets - for the rest of it I just work very carefully, and wash it off if I do touch it. I follow the same precautions when mixing weed killer.

I also have a question regarding what sort of base I should source it in. The 100mg/ml Nico on HiLIQ comes in a 100% PG base but the 250ml 100-200mg/ml comes in a variable PG/VG base. If I buy a 50PG/50VG juice, would I be better off adding a 50/50 Nico blend?
    If you are adding 100mg/ml or 200mg/ml to RTV (ready to vape) liquids, the amount of PG isn't really enough to make that much difference. If it's 48/52 instead of 50/50 that's not going to make a heck of a lot of difference to the vape. More important is the fact that nicotine travels much better in 100% PG. The PG stabilises the nicotine so if it encounters high temperatures and long delays during transport it's not going to affect it as much. For extra long term storage (over 5 years) nicotine in VG kept in the deep freeze at -18C or less is best because the VG starts to freeze at that temperature. That isn't a factor for you at this stage.

The only other reason to buy nicotine in VG is if it turns out you are PG intolerant. This is relatively rare but a real issue. Nothing you've said so far would make me think this is going to be an issue for you.

The last question I'll ask (but by no means the last question I have) is about "NTN - Non Tobacco Nicotine". I've seen a couple of posts on here about it. In short HiLIQ apparently stocks it but it's more expensive. Cost isn't really an issue but taste is. From most reports it seems to be pretty popular... but I can't find it on the HiLIQ website. Am I missing something or has it been discontinued?
    Hiliq made a marketing blunder with NTN. It's tobacco derived, not synthetic, but it's a highly purified product that has less taste and is smoother. It has been withdrawn because of this blunder and will hopefully be relaunched under a different name more appropriate to it's description. I can recommend it, however it is a more expensive product. You'll have to try it to know if the extra expense is worth it to you. Some people prefer the flavour and throat hit of regular nicotine anyway. It's not for everyone because it depends on what you need from your vape - this will become more clear to you as you get more experience.

Enjoy the journey, because there's not much better than the feeling that you are no longer a smoker. ;-)
    Cath Mort, stylemessiah and Screwy like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Oh, and if you ask 10 vapers their opinion on something you'll get 20 different answers LOL

Hi Luke (waves)
    eLicky and Screwy like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    Oh, and if you ask 10 vapers their opinion on something you'll get 20 different answers LOL

Hi Luke (waves)
    I just popped in randomly, sneaking around sniffing the walls.

OBVIOUSLY, you saw my post first then tried to totally own and discredit me.

Never speak to me again.
    fabricator4 likes this.
    Limitless Lux / Buddha V3 30mm RDA
    iJoy Maxo / Mason 30mm RDA
    Pioneer4you IPV4S 120watt / Goon 24mm RDA

#rdalyf #clonelyf #buildinglyf #mixinglyf

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post

More important is the fact that nicotine travels much better in 100% PG. The PG stabilises the nicotine so if it encounters high temperatures and long delays during transport it's not going to affect it as much.
    Never knew that. Maybe that's why the 100ml bottle of 100mg/ml only comes in 100% PG. I know VG is thicker and harder to work with, so I thought a 50/50 might be a good compromise, but if VG freezes at a different temp than PG, perhaps that'll cause a separation in the 50/50 mix when frozen.

Too many choices and not enough experience. Hmmm... if only it was easy.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwy View Post
    Too many choices and not enough experience. Hmmm... if only it was easy.
    As far as I know, no separation occurs but it's always a good idea to shake it before you mix to make sure. PG for the win...

You'll also want to buy in larger sizes eventually.

AVF Regular
    Also you need to take into consideration how much you are going to use.....if you get the 200mg/ml will you be able to use it
    within a couple of years (or less if you dont store it properly)? No point getting it if you are going to end up throwing half of
    it away.

I think its worthwhile considering the 200mg/ml if you are just adding to RTV juice. For situations where you dont want to dilute
    the ejuice too much. If you are making your own from scratch or buying doublers its worth considering the 100mg/ml cause you
    will use less or perhaps no extra PG.
    Screwy likes this.

AVF Regular
    Ah, well storage of nicotine is another hot topic here.

That was a rabbit hole I wasn't going to take Screwy down so soon, but here you go...

Nicotine storage
    Last edited by fabricator4; 20-05-17 at 04:40 PM.
    Screwy likes this.

AVF Regular
    Well I think its something that needs to be considered when making this decision. Its my understanding that Screwy is
    talking about what is best for long term and nicotine doesn't keep forever

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast