Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: WAH I'm new and trying my best! Please back me up here

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Talking WAH I'm new and trying my best! Please back me up here

Hi all! New to the forum, blah blah. Have a few queries and questions.

Living in Newcastle, NSW and there are NO vape shops here that I know of. I moved here from Melbourne VIC where I was almost spoiled for choice!

I vaped a bit last year but unfortunately got back on the stinkies. I've given them up again and have myself set up with an Eleaf iStick Pico Starter Kit (with the Melo 3 tank, and 0.5 coils)... just a modest, easy-to-use start up kit. I plan to change the tank in the future though as I don't like the Melo 3 (it sucks juice up like no tomorrow and it's only a 2ml tank).... I've got my favourite juice which is Steamers Reserve by The Steamery (Aussie company), I got a doubler and mixed it up with VG and PG (I just like to do 50/50 because that seems safe to me!) and I'm just waiting on my (48mg) nic to arrive from HiLiq. I opted for 48mg because that's what I used last year (from My Freedom Smokes) and felt more comfortable handling that than the 100mg that everyone recommends. What's the general consensus on HiLiq for nic? I've read some good reviews overall so thought I would give them a go.

My question is ---- for a n00b, am I doing this alright? I know to prime my coils, to take a few big inhales before firing her up, I know how to calculate my nic/unflavoured pg vg ration/e juice ratio (thanks to online calculators). Just feel like there's got to be something I am missing here...

Such a big wide world of vaping out there! I also wanted to ask you guys a question...........
    HOW do you buy ejuice online without having first tried it? Do you just take the risk and buy a small size and see what you think? I have no idea what kind of juice I like, and most of the descriptions are pretty sh*t or non-descriptive. Often juice doesn't taste the way it's described either. How do you combat this? Any tips would be mucho appreciated!

Thanks a million, cheers

Lo
    Jemor likes this.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Seems to me that you're on the right track, except for using 48mg/ml vs 100mg/ml, IMO 100mg/ml is safe to handle even for new vapers, as long as care is taken not to spill it everywhere. Even if you do spill it & are working safely over a table or bench, with paper towels or rags nearby & do have a spill it's still quite safe to mop up. Yes you will have nic enter your body through your skin but if you smoke or vape, then your body is used to taking nicotine, as long as you use a bit of common sense & clean it up quickly, then wash it off when it got on your skin you'll be fine & won't absorb too much nic.

As for flavors, everyone has different taste preferences, the only real way to find juice you like is to try them based on descriptions of the flavors, I know some juice vendors don't describe their flavors very well & I know of some that don't describe the flavor at all & even one in the US that just labels their juices by numbers (juice #1, juice #2 etc). You can always use the "contact us" form for an online vendor to ask them what their flavors are or ask the person serving you at a B&M.
    ourchangingsky likes this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

AVF Regular
    First, welcome.

The Pico is a good starter kit, I still use mine VERY regularly, as in every day, even though I've got plenty of other stuff to choose from. I'm sure you'll be able to come up with the 'next thing' from what's already here, or from giving a few pointers as to where you want to go.

As far a liquid goes, I tend to make my own. I've bought quite a few doublers, and found them to be usually quite good. And if you've found something that you like and works for you, make sure you have enough to see you through however long you think you need between replenishing it, be it a week, a month or whatever.

Trying them out, if it's from somewhere that's known to offer up good flavours but new to me, I'll jump in a little or simply buy one and try it out. If it's to my liking (purely subjective) then I'll get more. It's just as hard for me here because I have no shops local either (except when I'm in Melbourne over the new year) so have to take that risk, which is why I also make sure I have plenty of DIY supplies on hand so I'm never caught short and can throw together a batch of something on short notice.

Right now, I can only name a few liquids I'd buy by the litre and not be questioning my sanity. But taste is yours and yours alone and I know there are plenty of folks here who vape only one liquid, nothing else, and no intent to try anything else. Which is a nice place to be. Myself, I like to try different things all the time if I can but make sure I have something that 'never gets old' on hand at all times. It took me a long time to work out what that actually is though, and I don't vape it all the time.

So do get a few smaller sized doublers and try them out. While you're at it make sure you have plenty of replacement coils on hand so you're not caught out without them, as they're the other main consumable.

Hiliq is good stuff, nothing to worry about there.

You're not really missing anything. You're lucky you hit on something pretty good from the get go and should get you up and running without any problems. Maybe the only thing to consider is a backup when something does go wrong. A complete 'other' setup of some kind so you always have something that works because while the Pico kit is a good one, things go wrong, tanks break and batteries go flat. Having a spare makes sure you're not waiting on something and get tempted to light up. A full spare setup also lets you have something different to break up the monotony of a single flavour, if that's your thing.

(I have, right now, 4 setups sitting next to me, all ready to toot. I think that's not too unusual...)

Good luck, ask questions if you need to. This happens to be one of those rare places where even the 'noob' questions are answered without anything more than good advice. If only because we were all noobs at one time, know how much of a pain that can be and don't want to see anyone else tread the same path again if we can avoid it.

Stu.
    ourchangingsky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Noe View Post
    Seems to me that you're on the right track, except for using 48mg/ml vs 100mg/ml, IMO 100mg/ml is safe to handle even for new vapers, as long as care is taken not to spill it everywhere. Even if you do spill it & are working safely over a table or bench, with paper towels or rags nearby & do have a spill it's still quite safe to mop up. Yes you will have nic enter your body through your skin but if you smoke or vape, then your body is used to taking nicotine, as long as you use a bit of common sense & clean it up quickly, then wash it off when it got on your skin you'll be fine & won't absorb too much nic.

As for flavors, everyone has different taste preferences, the only real way to find juice you like is to try them based on descriptions of the flavors, I know some juice vendors don't describe their flavors very well & I know of some that don't describe the flavor at all & even one in the US that just labels their juices by numbers (juice #1, juice #2 etc). You can always use the "contact us" form for an online vendor to ask them what their flavors are or ask the person serving you at a B&M.
    Thanks, that's good advice RE: the 100mg/ml. Maybe my next nic order I'll be feeling more confident and will go for it. I do see eeeeeveryone recommending 100mg/ml in 100% PG so it can't be just a weird coincidence :-P

I'd prefer to stick to Aussie juices for now, just because there's already so many to pick from and that at least narrows it down for me a bit! I do see the same names popping up here and there, so maybe will try out some of those to begin with.

Thanks for your reply :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Noe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Schtoo View Post
    First, welcome.

The Pico is a good starter kit, I still use mine VERY regularly, as in every day, even though I've got plenty of other stuff to choose from. I'm sure you'll be able to come up with the 'next thing' from what's already here, or from giving a few pointers as to where you want to go.

As far a liquid goes, I tend to make my own. I've bought quite a few doublers, and found them to be usually quite good. And if you've found something that you like and works for you, make sure you have enough to see you through however long you think you need between replenishing it, be it a week, a month or whatever.

Trying them out, if it's from somewhere that's known to offer up good flavours but new to me, I'll jump in a little or simply buy one and try it out. If it's to my liking (purely subjective) then I'll get more. It's just as hard for me here because I have no shops local either (except when I'm in Melbourne over the new year) so have to take that risk, which is why I also make sure I have plenty of DIY supplies on hand so I'm never caught short and can throw together a batch of something on short notice.

Right now, I can only name a few liquids I'd buy by the litre and not be questioning my sanity. But taste is yours and yours alone and I know there are plenty of folks here who vape only one liquid, nothing else, and no intent to try anything else. Which is a nice place to be. Myself, I like to try different things all the time if I can but make sure I have something that 'never gets old' on hand at all times. It took me a long time to work out what that actually is though, and I don't vape it all the time.

So do get a few smaller sized doublers and try them out. While you're at it make sure you have plenty of replacement coils on hand so you're not caught out without them, as they're the other main consumable.

Hiliq is good stuff, nothing to worry about there.

You're not really missing anything. You're lucky you hit on something pretty good from the get go and should get you up and running without any problems. Maybe the only thing to consider is a backup when something does go wrong. A complete 'other' setup of some kind so you always have something that works because while the Pico kit is a good one, things go wrong, tanks break and batteries go flat. Having a spare makes sure you're not waiting on something and get tempted to light up. A full spare setup also lets you have something different to break up the monotony of a single flavour, if that's your thing.

(I have, right now, 4 setups sitting next to me, all ready to toot. I think that's not too unusual...)

Good luck, ask questions if you need to. This happens to be one of those rare places where even the 'noob' questions are answered without anything more than good advice. If only because we were all noobs at one time, know how much of a pain that can be and don't want to see anyone else tread the same path again if we can avoid it.

Stu.

Thanks Stu! Such helpful info. Glad to see I'm technically on the right track.

I don't mind vaping the same juice every day, I'm definitely not one who is interested in switching it up daily or even every second day. But I would like to have some choices every now and then :-)

Good point about having a second set up as a back up! I've got a few batteries and a charger, as well as lots of coils! well I've got 10... that will keep me sorted for a little while anyway :-)

My very very first vape was an Innokin Coolfire IV so the Pico definitely feels much better than that. I have absolutely no idea where I would go from the Pico and upwards... maybe I need to make another thread for that :-)

Thanks again for the friendly welcome and info packed reply. Really appreciate it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    _just_get_it_done_ likes this.

AVF Regular
    If you feel the need for a local B&M Grumpy's is just up the road from you at Cardiff

https://grumpyvapes.com.au/
    Cat, Jemor and ourchangingsky like this.
    “Sometimes you climb out of bed in the morning and you think, I'm not going to make it, but you laugh inside — remembering all the times you've felt that way.”
    ― Charles Bukowski

AVF Regular
    You're definitely on the right track! Exactly where I was 2 months ago. I'm a newbie as well. Been vaping for 90 some days now but haven't gone back to the analogues. So I guess my path so far hasn't been the wrong track?

Stick around the forum and you will learn so much from the members.
    Cat likes this.

AVF Regular
    For a newbie i suggest something like the zelos kit. It'll be most closest to mimicing smoking in terms of draw etc. Plus it won't suck up juice either.

In terms of nic, you just need to be careful. There's a lot of places that sell it, and now vapoureyes NZ sell unflavoured VG with nic so it's easier than ever to mix doublers. No need to get singlers and use calculators!
    Current Mods
    • Triade DNA200
    • Therion DNA75
    • Broadside
    • Noisy Cricket V2
    • Punto Zero
    • Kimech
    • USV-L

Current Attys
    • Monster V3
    • Squape X
    • Kayfun V5
    • Reload RTA
    • Goon
    • Goon v1.5
    • In'sane
    • Hadaly
    • Tricktank Pro
    • Tokugawa
    • CSMNT
    • BMI Nova
    • Icon
    • Pulse 22
    • Narda
    • Flave 24
    • HAKU!!!

Cat
    AVF Regular
    Yeah go see Grumpy and you can try out flavours...
    Legion likes this.
    Be Realistic. Plan for a Miracle.

Quit smoking 22 Sep 16

AVF Regular
    hmmm . . . Looks like someone I know . . . Ever been Inkaaaserated ? LOL !

Quote Originally Posted by ourchangingsky View Post
    Hi all! New to the forum, blah blah. Have a few queries and questions.

Living in Newcastle, NSW and there are NO vape shops here that I know of. I moved here from Melbourne VIC where I was almost spoiled for choice!

I vaped a bit last year but unfortunately got back on the stinkies. I've given them up again and have myself set up with an Eleaf iStick Pico Starter Kit (with the Melo 3 tank, and 0.5 coils)... just a modest, easy-to-use start up kit. I plan to change the tank in the future though as I don't like the Melo 3 (it sucks juice up like no tomorrow and it's only a 2ml tank).... I've got my favourite juice which is Steamers Reserve by The Steamery (Aussie company), I got a doubler and mixed it up with VG and PG (I just like to do 50/50 because that seems safe to me!) and I'm just waiting on my (48mg) nic to arrive from HiLiq. I opted for 48mg because that's what I used last year (from My Freedom Smokes) and felt more comfortable handling that than the 100mg that everyone recommends. What's the general consensus on HiLiq for nic? I've read some good reviews overall so thought I would give them a go.

My question is ---- for a n00b, am I doing this alright? I know to prime my coils, to take a few big inhales before firing her up, I know how to calculate my nic/unflavoured pg vg ration/e juice ratio (thanks to online calculators). Just feel like there's got to be something I am missing here...

Such a big wide world of vaping out there! I also wanted to ask you guys a question...........
    HOW do you buy ejuice online without having first tried it? Do you just take the risk and buy a small size and see what you think? I have no idea what kind of juice I like, and most of the descriptions are pretty sh*t or non-descriptive. Often juice doesn't taste the way it's described either. How do you combat this? Any tips would be mucho appreciated!

Thanks a million, cheers

Lo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast