Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: A Concentrate Experiment Has any one tried this?

  1. #1
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Anywhere I hang my coat up
    Posts
    577

    A Concentrate Experiment Has any one tried this?

    A friend yesterday went to a home brew store. On the shelves he found heaps of concentrates like the ones used for flavoring Spirit Liquor or making your own Spirit Liquor using 40% proof Vodka as a starting base. Now remember this, most concentrates that we buy from vape stores be they on line or B&M claim that the concentrates they sell us are food grade concentrates.

    Unlike the concentrates sold at the home brew store they do not come with internationally accepted additive codes that we can look up and find what preservatives etc., have been used in the vape juice concentrate. The one at the home brew shop certainly did and when I looked up the codes I was surprised to see that the home brew concentrate had VG and PG already in it plus some other stuff that to non asthma suffers would be harmless. (IMHO Asthma suffers should not be vaping or smoking)

    The report I got back this morning, was that the concentrate he purchased he mixed in his 70VG/30PG base @10% let it steep overnight in a rice bath and this morning I get the email that he says it is delicious. No great length of steeping required. I have read that some concentrates for e-juice do have an alcohol content. I also have heard that some mixers use Vodka to thin their VG. Considering this, and the price my friend paid for the concentrate from the home brew shop $5 for 50mls is considerably cheaper than what some sell concentrates for e-juice. Now this concentrate that he bought, Strawberry Schnapps is also a food grade concentrate. Interesting I think...might look into this. Hey you Mixing Genius' out there what think you of this?
    Noe likes this.

  2. #2
    Noe
    Noe is offline
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Posts
    13,140
    A simple Strawberry flavor really shouldn't need a lot of steeping, any flavor concentrate that is not oil based will generally be ok for use in juice. The other exceptions to this general rule are extracts, which can contain particulates & sugars, niether of which are good to vape & concentrates that contain food coloring, you really don't want to be clogging your coils up with dye or vaping it.

    IMO there is nothing particularly bad with vaping alcohol based concentrates or small amounts of alcohol in your juice, unless you are driving & get pulled over for a random breath test. If you've been vaping shortly before being tested it may give a positive reading even if you are sober (not certain it will but it makes sense that it could), however your body (for most people) will be able to eliminate the small amounts of alcohol rather quickly when vaping juice with it in it.

    $5 for 50ml seems cheap but at 10% concentration this is equal to some other flavoring concentrates that can be used at 2% & which are less than $5 for 10ml - which would make the same amount of juice.
    Don't be fooled by volume, 50ml @ 10% is the same as 10ml @ 2%, also the 10ml concentrate is less likely to have as much, if any alcohol or other fillers in it. My guess is that the concentrate bought from a brewing store is likely to have some pretty coloring added to it, which we totally do not want in our juice.
    fabricator4 and flyingfox12 like this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

    Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

    The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

    Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

    I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

  3. #3
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Anywhere I hang my coat up
    Posts
    577
    Quote Originally Posted by Noe View Post
    A simple Strawberry flavor really shouldn't need a lot of steeping, any flavor concentrate that is not oil based will generally be ok for use in juice. The other exceptions to this general rule are extracts, which can contain particulates & sugars, niether of which are good to vape & concentrates that contain food coloring, you really don't want to be clogging your coils up with dye or vaping it.

    IMO there is nothing particularly bad with vaping alcohol based concentrates or small amounts of alcohol in your juice, unless you are driving & get pulled over for a random breath test. If you've been vaping shortly before being tested it may give a positive reading even if you are sober (not certain it will but it makes sense that it could), however your body (for most people) will be able to eliminate the small amounts of alcohol rather quickly when vaping juice with it in it.

    $5 for 50ml seems cheap but at 10% concentration this is equal to some other flavoring concentrates that can be used at 2% & which are less than $5 for 10ml - which would make the same amount of juice.
    Don't be fooled by volume, 50ml @ 10% is the same as 10ml @ 2%, also the 10ml concentrate is less likely to have as much, if any alcohol or other fillers in it. My guess is that the concentrate bought from a brewing store is likely to have some pretty coloring added to it, which we totally do not want in our juice.
    I am in agreement with you Noe, about food colors. What I would like to see is concentrates that are sold for vape mixes have the same ingredient coding as the brew shop concentrate has. Then we as vapers can make a better informed decision as to what the heck we are vaping. A lot of fruit and beverage juices I have vaped I have no idea as to wtf is in them apart from the PG. Vape concentrate manufacturers are not compelled by international labeling laws to tell us. All they tell us that they are made from food grade concentrates.

  4. #4
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,409
    I actually find that pretty exciting, vodka instead of PG. Been wondering about that for a while, actually.

    I'm only starting out with diy juices but I am seriously underwhelmed by FA, switching now to Loranne or the Chinese flavours.

    Also the repacked version of FA flavours I have bought from a couple of certain vendors is very thin and runny.


    Think I may be visiting the Home Brew sore to check out their flavours. Thanks Flying Fox 2.

  5. #5
    Noe
    Noe is offline
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Posts
    13,140
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingfox12 View Post
    I am in agreement with you Noe, about food colors. What I would like to see is concentrates that are sold for vape mixes have the same ingredient coding as the brew shop concentrate has. Then we as vapers can make a better informed decision as to what the heck we are vaping. A lot of fruit and beverage juices I have vaped I have no idea as to wtf is in them apart from the PG. Vape concentrate manufacturers are not compelled by international labeling laws to tell us. All they tell us that they are made from food grade concentrates.
    Can you take a pic of the label showing the ingredients list?
    flyingfox12 likes this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

    Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

    The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

    Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

    I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

  6. #6
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Off grid, quietly hermity, NW Tas
    Posts
    6,363
    Funny this, I don't even use those flavours in my home distillation efforts, certainly wouldn't vape them.
    Too weak and uncertain contents.
    However, some of the stuff I vape, shutting up now and holding my glass up in the "you go for it" position.
    Noe, fabricator4, Wombats1 and 1 others like this.


  7. #7
    AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingfox12 View Post
    I am in agreement with you Noe, about food colors. What I would like to see is concentrates that are sold for vape mixes have the same ingredient coding as the brew shop concentrate has. Then we as vapers can make a better informed decision as to what the heck we are vaping. A lot of fruit and beverage juices I have vaped I have no idea as to wtf is in them apart from the PG. Vape concentrate manufacturers are not compelled by international labeling laws to tell us. All they tell us that they are made from food grade concentrates.
    Component List

    But if you donít understand what you are reading thereís not much point is there?
    Noe and flyingfox12 like this.

  8. #8
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Anywhere I hang my coat up
    Posts
    577
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGruffy View Post
    Funny this, I don't even use those flavours in my home distillation efforts, certainly wouldn't vape them.
    Too weak and uncertain contents.
    However, some of the stuff I vape, shutting up now and holding my glass up in the "you go for it" position.
    You can find them on their NZ Website, www.stillspirits.com. Look for the Top Shelf Brand products.
    422 Glycerin or glycerol,
    Food Color 102
    Tartrazine a synthetic lemon yellow azo dye primarily used as a food coloring. ... Tartrazine is a commonly used color all over the world
    122
    Azorubine or Carmoisine Food Color, Carmoisine or Azorubine is a synthetic red food dye from the azo dye group. It is a red to maroon powder. It is used for the purposes where the food is heat-treated after fermentation. It has E number E122. Some of the foods it can be present in are blancmange, marzipan, Swiss roll, jams, preserves, yoghurts, jellies, breadcrumbs, and cheesecake mixes. It is also present in Oraldene Mouthwash. Azorubine is commonly used in the UK, but it is a prohibited food additive in Japan, Norway, and the United States. A study commissioned by the UK's Food Standards Agency found that when used in a mixture of other preservatives, increased levels of hyperactivity in children were observed. ( Children should not be vaping in any case...my comment)
    Water.
    Contains sulphites which is not good for asthma sufferers.
    Having said that I cut my original mix down by half as 10% felt a bit strong and now its a lot better. With that tiny amount of concentrate now at least I know what I am playing with.
    Unlike concentrates from vape stores no idea what we a messing with when we buy them
    Last edited by flyingfox12; 24-06-17 at 10:51 PM. Reason: added.

  9. #9
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Anywhere I hang my coat up
    Posts
    577
    Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    Component List

    But if you donít understand what you are reading thereís not much point is there?
    I do understand what I am reading as the post with the ingredients shows, I looked them up and their contra effects as well and then decided if to try it or not. So far no harmful effects.

  10. #10
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Anywhere I hang my coat up
    Posts
    577
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGruffy View Post
    Funny this, I don't even use those flavours in my home distillation efforts, certainly wouldn't vape them.
    Too weak and uncertain contents.
    However, some of the stuff I vape, shutting up now and holding my glass up in the "you go for it" position.
    With you there man I have steeped some interesting stuff also but that is my secret. All natural ingredients though, from fruit and herbs.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.4
Copyright © 2017 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
All times are GMT +11. The time now is 02:17 PM.