Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: Do you know what you are inhaling?

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Do you know what you are inhaling?

Question.... ?

Do you know what you are inhaling?

There seems to be more and more juice vendors coming on the market all the time - how does one tell if the juice that some are assembling and selling are using quality products or cheap and nasty full of chemical crap?
    I would like to think that most if not all vendors are selling quality and safe juices however its human nature for some to take a short cut to make pure profits without giving a shit about what damage they could be doing to the end user and the industry as a whole.

There seems to be no sampling and testing of juices to see if they are safe and carry no harmful chemicals and at the end of the day all it would take is one vendor to cause serious harm to an end user to bring the whole industry to its knees or even have it banned.

Thoughts?

AVF Regular
    yep i do know

90% vegetable glycerin and 10% flavouring

because DIY juice

most well knowen makers will use one of the major flavouring companys that are held to government standards
    staceman101 likes this.
    If you know it. Help someone
    If you dont know it. Ask

On land line is a inanimate object under water it has a life of its own.

AVF Regular
    You don't really know what's in that flavouring though Saph... that's the point.

It's a really good question that also bothered me kaimaikid. My inherent distrust in peoples ethics and faith in their stupidity has served me well over the years.I don't mean that I don't trust anyone and think they're all stupid, but as you pointed out once money becomes involved and the anonymity of a marketed product... who knows? Do I trust my life and health to people who have no responsibility other than accepting $'s from me? For me the risk and benefit ratio is clear so I vape unflavoured DIY juice. Cheaper, safer, easier.
    DogMan and Jemor like this.
    "Go away and come back when you understand better." he said. He would not let me pass.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Northerner View Post
    You don't really know what's in that flavouring though Saph... that's the point.

It's a really good question that also bothered me kaimaikid. My inherent distrust in peoples ethics and faith in their stupidity has served me well over the years.I don't mean that I don't trust anyone and think they're all stupid, but as you pointed out once money becomes involved and the anonymity of a marketed product... who knows? Do I trust my life and health to people who have no responsibility other than accepting $'s from me? For me the risk and benefit ratio is clear so I vape unflavoured DIY juice. Cheaper, safer, easier.
    I worry about the flavouring essences as well.. most were created for the cooking trade, to be eaten rather than inhaled.
    I hope to go unflavoured sooner rather than later, keep the flavourings to a minimum is a good idea.
    Jemor likes this.

AVF Regular
    The larger proportion of liquid is PG and VG and even for good quality stuff it's still the cheapest component. Flavorings on the other hand are the most expensive component and are by their very nature a diverse range of chemical components.

The absolute best way to protect yourself if that is what you want to do is to vape unflavoured liquids. This will minimise your exposure to just three main chemicals: PG, VG, and nicotine.

There are some known chemicals that have a potential to be a problem, such as diacetyl which is in a lot of butter and creamy type flavours. It is a byproduct of fermentation also so finds its way into those kinds of flavours as well, and can turn up in surprising places. It's also possible that in very low concentrations there is no real issue caused by using it.

These are generally the real issues, not so much whether manufacturers are cutting corners or using poor quality ingredients.

Many manufacturers are now very open about this issue and attempt to use flavorings that do not contain chemicals known to have a potential problem (like diacetyl). If this is an issue for you then you should seek out those manufacturers that are making an effort to minimise the risks.

DIY is another way to get control over what is in your liquids, however you need to do some research yourself.

FlavorArt has the clearstream project and is a good option if this is the path you want to go down:

(Note, in italian, but the English subtitles give you good idea of what is being said (mostly)

Other companies publish clear data on diacetyl:

There appears to be some MSDS for Flavour Art as well :https://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/msds/343134.pdf

If all of this seem too hard, stay with manufacturers who are making an effort to produce safer products, or switch to unflavoured.

I only make a serious effort to make sure there is nothing in my ADV that is a known issue. It's a DIY and I vape it 95% of the time. There's one concentrate that contains AP, however I only use it at about 0.5% so I'm not overly concerned about it. A 30ml bottle of that concentrate lasts me many years, so the exposure is tiny, and the threat only theoretical.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 16-07-17 at 02:34 PM.
    gtadmin and eLicky like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Northerner View Post
    but theres the catch do some searching you can find all the ingredients since they are made for cooking aswell and under law for australia must contain a MSDS or Material Data Safety Sheet

the flavour apprentice strawberry ripe

This product contains no added diacetyl as an ingredient. However, because diacetyl can occur in small amounts as an artifact of the production process in other ingredients, "No Added Diacetyl" products may not be "Diacetyl Free", as trace amounts may be present. Additional Information About This Product: The information provided on this SDS is correct to the best of our knowledge, information and belief at the date of its publication. The information given is designed only as a guide for safe handling, use, processing, storage, transportation, disposal and release and is not to be considered as a warranty or quality specification . The information relates only to the specific material designated and may not be valid for such material used in combination with any other material or in any other process, unless specified in the text .

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=m...B6Pr8AfNhbLQAg
    If you know it. Help someone
    If you dont know it. Ask

On land line is a inanimate object under water it has a life of its own.

Super Moderator
    In direct answer to OP .. Yep I do know what I am inhaling
    See I am one of these boring unflavoured types ... so yep my vape consists of PG, VG, and Nicotine ....

The jury is well and truly absent on the use of flavourings ... most if not all are recommended as safe for ingestion, but the result of inhalation ? Who knows?

There is also the thought process of ... " Flavourings will play a minimal part compared to what you were inhaling when you are smoking " in fact most cigarettes have a degree of flavouring compound within them as well ... so by a bit of logic stretching , you could argue that either way you are inhaling evaporated flavouring ... one method mixes that flavouring with many thousands of chemicals ( smoking) and the other with just a few ( vaping) ... if it is Harm minimisation you are after ...Vaping wins hands down ... but vaping without flavouring wins more
    giruvian, shaneo and Jemor like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    Unflavoured for me too. But with WTA, so it is questionable.

Safer than burning regardless

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

AVF Regular
    Even vaping unflavoured we peel away the orange skin able to detect minute variations in bases and nicotine flavors usually cover over.

Only today I opened a new liter VG base from a different store I've tried before. Why does it taste a bit sweeter, why does it appear slightly thinner.

Why does some Basedrop VG stink like melted Barbie doll plastic.

And what the hell is going on with Hiliq's nicotine recently....

All are questions I ask myself regularly.
    shaneo, 1ynne, Jemor and 1 others like this.
    Limitless Lux / Buddha V3 30mm RDA
    iJoy Maxo / Mason 30mm RDA
    Pioneer4you IPV4S 120watt / Goon 24mm RDA

#rdalyf #clonelyf #buildinglyf #mixinglyf

AVF Regular
    Where the spectre of Bjelke-Petersen still looms...A Banana Republic inside a Banana Republic
    NSFW

Noe and DAWZZY like this.
    Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Quality Australian Made eJuice: Bunyip Vapes

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast