Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Cold remedy?

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Noe View Post
    I've been taking 5k - 10k mg of Vit C for the past 18+ months, without any noticeable side effects. Since I started taking it in high doses, those around me have got sick with flu or stomach bugs but I have not had what I'd describe as the flu, a bit of a sniffle & a very mild sore throat for around 12hrs is the worst I have had of flu-like symptoms, while family members that had the flu had it for a up to a week or more. The same with the stomach bug (gastro) my sister & her kids had it & I caught it but their symptoms (upset stomach, cramps & diarrhea) lasted for 4-5 days each, mine was 1 bout of an urgent evacuation at night & by next morning I felt fine, it was literally gone over night.
    I take powdered (pure) Vit C 1x heaped teaspoonful per day (which is between 5000mg - 10000mg) but if someone has flu around me I up that to 2x tsps per day & it doesn't give the flu a chance to take hold.
    Vitamin C is very good, but taking more than 1000mg in one go probably doesn't increase the amount that your body can use much. https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Vi...hProfessional/

Rather than double the dose, you are probably better off taking regular doses more frequently (2 to 3 times per day). I never thought about this before and usually just take it in the morning - might change that.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    Vitamin C is very good, but taking more than 1000mg in one go probably doesn't increase the amount that your body can use much. https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Vi...hProfessional/

Rather than double the dose, you are probably better off taking regular doses more frequently (2 to 3 times per day). I never thought about this before and usually just take it in the morning - might change that.
    Just take a time release formula. I had whooping cough of all things last year and had to take ALOT of vitamin C. Time release ascorbic acid was the only way to get the levels up. None of the other forms of vitamin C are useful against whooping cough and the original is the best anyway.

https://au.iherb.com/pr/Now-Foods-C-...-Tablets/39672

AVF Regular
    Vitamin C has a limited uptake when taken orally. Best megadosing practice is probably to take 1000mg every 3hrs or so.

The way they manage to superdose (to great effect with a vast range of nasties) is intravenously. If I was going to go down that path, I'd visit gt or fab. They'd be the only people I would trust to get the dosage correct.
    fabricator4 likes this.
    Rabid non-smoker since 1630hrs 25/11/2016.

Pebble fondler, living life beyond the vertical.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post

All I know is that since I have been using it in megadoses, I have not had any of the usual flu's etc that are going around at the time or if I have then the symptoms & duration has been greatly reduced.
    I know what the "official" literature says about Vitamin C but I also know the same "authorities" that wrote the literature also used to tell us too many eggs were bad for cholesterol & that butter was bad for us.
    I trust the results more than the literature.

Spreading out the dose may be more effective but the way I am taking it now is very effective IME, so I am not too concerned about potential gains.
    Last edited by Noe; 01-08-17 at 10:37 AM. Reason: early morning typos
    fabricator4 likes this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

emu
    AVF Regular
    The power of Belief and a good laugh works wonders.
    fabricator4 likes this.

AVF Regular
    Take care out there.
    emu and staceman101 like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12