Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree135Likes

Thread: malboro gold smoker, need advice on nicotine levels

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

malboro gold smoker, need advice on nicotine levels

hey all,

I just started vaping 2 days ago and bought 300ml(stupid I know) in total of 50/50 eliquid with 18mg nicotine from Hiliq. I bought grape and tobacco flavours but both have too strong of a throat hit and makes it feel really dry. The discomfort only occurs when i inhale the vapour into lungs, it is fine when i dont vape. I read on the internet to start out higher in eliquid nic compared to analog nicotine. I believe malboro golds in Australia is 10mg which is why i chose 18mg to be safe.

I wanted to ask you guys what is the recommended level of nicotine for a malboro gold smoker. Just a bit about my smoking habits:

- smoked malboro gold for 3 years
    - have a habit of chain smoking esp in the mornings(eg smoke after brekky, smoke after I arrive at work carpark 15 minutes later).
    -Smoke about 12 ciggies a day, at least a pack when drinking

I think i will definitely chain vape so that has to be taken into account.

Thanks in advance!

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by nomorecigs View Post
    hey all,

I just started vaping 2 days ago and bought 300ml(stupid I know) in total of 50/50 eliquid with 18mg nicotine from Hiliq. I bought grape and tobacco flavours but both have too strong of a throat hit and makes it feel really dry. The discomfort only occurs when i inhale the vapour into lungs, it is fine when i dont vape. I read on the internet to start out higher in eliquid nic compared to analog nicotine. I believe malboro golds in Australia is 10mg which is why i chose 18mg to be safe.

I wanted to ask you guys what is the recommended level of nicotine for a malboro gold smoker. Just a bit about my smoking habits:

- have a habit of chain smoking esp in the mornings(eg smoke after brekky, smoke after I arrive at work carpark 15 minutes later).

Thanks in advance!
    A few questions before the doctor will see you....

1) Are both flavours giving the same harsh response?
    2) What device are you using, what tank, and what coils?
    3) What wattage or temp are you using?

My initial diagnosis is either youre sensitive to PG (throat hit) in which case id suggest buying some VG locally and adding that in proportion to reduce the harshness (this would also dilute the flavouring, and the nic content, though prolly not too detrimentally in your case) if it is PG sensitivity OR you may be firing your device too high for your coil, or just a bad device.

Answer the questions 3, and you will help us help you further

pfft smoked for 3 years...bloody lightweight...try 35+ years You kids today dont know what commitment, or hardening up, is, thats your real problem...

15 marlboro golds a day for 3 years really shouldnt allow one to class oneself as a smoker :P :P You havent put in the spadework there...

marlboro was one of my favourites, i smoked the original and best, and hard, red version mind you....how i got my chest hairs..... and creaky lungs

p.s. welcome to vaping
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 06-10-17 at 02:22 AM.
    steve.c, DocM, Sublime and 2 others like this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

Hey messiah,

Thanks for the warning me that i may need to see a doctor hahaha.

1) Yes
    2) Nautilus 2 starter kit
    3) i've tried multiple wattage ranges and it is the same.

Also, before i tried the nicotine eliquid, I had sample non-nic liquid which I bought with the kit. They had 20% VG level and had no problems which is why I dont think the problem is with the PG levels

No problems messiah, I will put in some elbow grease and smoke a couple more packets of malboro golds before i can get my vape right hahahahha

edit: i've also increased my water intake just to make sure it is not purely from dry throat

AVF Regular
    How can 12 a day be "chain smoking"? Lol

Anyway, it is different for everyone. And unfortunately, trial and error is the only way.

Yes, some people have that reaction to liquid nicotine. You might try lowering your nic, and compensate by vaping more. You may use 3mg and actually chain vape (not your version. Literally never leaves your hands, wake up several times at night for vapes) or you may find a sweet spot at 15mg.

Buy some 100mg. There are cleaner, smoother options than hiliq, which can be like acetone at high strengths. And mix different strengths. Try unflavoured too
    DocM, Sully and Juzzo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

AVF Regular
    Also, vaping itself is a new sensation for your throat and body. It takes some time to adjust.

I personally think that your levels will be fine, you just need to adjust your style to suit, until you adapt.

Try taking smaller toots on your vape. Begin by sucking without firing, and after a second push your fire button for a second only. Continue sucking residual vape after firing has ceased.

Get the hang of this, and SLOWLY increase your firing time.

Also drink LOTS of water. You will be amazed how much you will drink.

Another point to remember is that 10mg Marlboro's contain 10mg of tar. Nothing to do with nicotine. 18mg is a good standard starting point, but as you had been such a short term, light smoker, your bodies daily requirement for nicotine will be much lower than some of us long term heavy smokers. Mixing up some of your juice with VG to make some 12mg, and 6mg juice, would probably be a wise decision.

tapatalk for photo upload 👍
    tapatalk for general usage 👎
    DogMan, Tara and DocM like this.
    Rabid non-smoker since 1630hrs 25/11/2016.

Pebble fondler, living life beyond the vertical.

AVF Regular
    Hey messiah,

Thanks for the warning me that i may need to see a doctor hahaha.

1) Yes
    2) Nautilus 2 starter kit
    3) i've tried multiple wattage ranges and it is the same.

Also, before i tried the nicotine eliquid, I had sample non-nic liquid which I bought with the kit. They had 20% VG level and had no problems which is why I dont think the problem is with the PG levels

No problems messiah, I will put in some elbow grease and smoke a couple more packets of malboro golds before i can get my vape right hahahahha

edit: i've also increased my water intake just to make sure it is not purely from dry throat
    The doctor will prolly turn up at some point, you'll know because you'll get a lecture from a professional man...some call him Fab...

1) Good to know its both flavours

2) The Nautlius 2 is good kit, so its not that, i tried one recently...its what they use for the juice tasting bar at my locla vape shop...was surprised how well they worked - i have used rebuildable tanks since day one and tend to absolutely hate prebuilt coil tanks...every one before the nautilus id tried wasnt a patch on my rebuildable tanks

3) Good to know you have tried different wattages and ruled that and a burnt coil out.

Good also to note you had a non nic sample to try and it wasnt giving the reported issue. Its now sounding like its either the nic, either slightly harsh or content, or the flavours...as already mentioned adding pg and vg to dilute the mix down to a slightly lower flavour/nic level is prolly the only shot here. Once you get more comfy with vaping as a whole, you might look into diy mixing, which will make adjustments on the fly, and especially during the settling in phase over the next few months, much easier..a lot of us go up and down with nic loevels at first to find the goldilocks zone...i went like 18, 16, 12, 10, 8, 10, 12 or something..been at 12 for like 2 years now. I use my gear about once an hour or so...high nic, low frequency has worked for me long term...as opposed to when i smoked, id be smoking rollies every 15 minutes...a good point to make that your vaping use doesnt have to match your old smoking frequency, and may change in time...im 2.5 years into not smoking, which i thought would never happen, and on top of that never would have guessed i might find myself only using nicotine once an hour or so...

Dont bother delving back into the marlboro golds on my account, really theres no bonus points to be gained with me by doing it now

Quote Originally Posted by DogMan View Post
    How can 12 a day be "chain smoking"? Lol

Anyway, it is different for everyone. And unfortunately, trial and error is the only way.

Yes, some people have that reaction to liquid nicotine. You might try lowering your nic, and compensate by vaping more. You may use 3mg and actually chain vape (not your version. Literally never leaves your hands, wake up several times at night for vapes) or you may find a sweet spot at 15mg.

Buy some 100mg. There are cleaner, smoother options than hiliq, which can be like acetone at high strengths. And mix different strengths. Try unflavoured too
    I thought id leave the initial "try unflavoured" suggestion to someone else for a change, ive been evanglising it too frequently of late Dan

fyi nomorecigs i vape completely unflavoured, its the cheapest, least complicated way to vape....and strangely way more satisfying than any flavour i ever tried, in fact without unflavoured and the boredom with flavours when i first started i might not have made it to 2.5 years.

plus some shit about sometimes newbies thinking tobacco flavours are the only way to go when starting being sometimes the worst option in terms of flavours...i tend to think, youre trying to quit smoking, why not make it as different as possible, instead of trying to find equivalency

but stick around, you'll see others poke holes in my theories around here, theyre bastidges like that
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 06-10-17 at 04:42 AM.
    DogMan, DocM, Sublime and 1 others like this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Handy shopping links:

AVF Regular
    Sydney (or lurking in the shadows behind you)
    !8mg 50/50 is more for mouth to lung, (MTL)
    Try adding 300mls of VG to your 300mls of !8mg 50/50
    = 9mg 25pg/75vg with half the flavouring strength, (for more vapour).

We could give you a tip to your nearest brick & mortar, (B&M) type shop,
    but you haven't given us a location under your avatar, so we can't ?!?
    Last edited by Snidely_Whiplash; 06-10-17 at 04:45 AM.
    DocM likes this.

I Do Whatever I Want,
    Whenever I Want,
    And If It Doesn't Suit You,
    Go Start Your Own Empire
    Anything I write on AVF is purely my opinion and should never be read as fact!
    (or I could just be wrong)
    Please read the AVF rules: http://forums.aussievapers.com/forum...ions-bans.html
    (or wait for Johnny Depp to do the movie)

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Snidely_Whiplash View Post
    but you haven't given us a location under your avatar, so we can't ?!?
    I hadnt noticed that

Lets hope he's not in S.A., we will have to send him to you know who....and he'll end up in the pit putting lotion on his skin....while his personal vape gear ends up being displayed in pics on here on masters magic blue tray...I'm starting to become suspicious that what ends up on his magical blue tray are his "trophies"....

Much better outcome if he's in N.S.W. ....

nomorecigs, please add your location to your profile:

1) Click Settings at top right
    2) In left pane menu on following screen, click Edit Profile
    3) In Location box on following screen, 3rd from bottom of page, enter your location
    4) Bottom right, click Save Changes

Adding your location not only helps us direct you to helpful locals near you, can be handy as a newbie, but also a condition of buying/selling gear on the classifieds...
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 06-10-17 at 06:21 AM.

Handy shopping links:

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by stylemessiah View Post
    The doctor will prolly turn up at some point, you'll know because you'll get a lecture from a professional man...some call him Fab...

You're all doing great without me. I'm surplus to requirements at this point.
    stylemessiah likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

hey all,

Thanks in advance!
    Howdy mate.

I've been vaping for about a month now, since stopping the cigs.
    40 year hardcore smoker, and at this stage I have coped pretty good transitioning to vaping.
    I don't have much advice to give you other than unflavoured, for me it is the way to go. Just the nic taste and slight sweetness from the VG.
    It is perfect for all day vaping, and fwiw am only on 5-6mg nic. One tank 2ml lasts all day (mtl). Have tried a few flavours, but all disappointing.
    I still crave ciggys now and then, and when I do I just go hammers on my Vaporesso Drizzle and the craving goes away.
    My only advice is to keep supplies at your workplace and always have a back up device, and plan ahead if going somewhere for more than a day.

The guys here (emu, fab, style, doc, etc) are fantastic and truly want to help.

Good luck.
    fabricator4, DogMan, DocM and 3 others like this.
    Total noob, but very interested in vaping and want to give up the cigs.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast