Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Nicotine Causing Throat Irritation(?)

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DogMan View Post
    kinda like a "ball in your throat"?

could be too high VG, especially for a beginner, semi-common complaint.

try boosting the PG in your DIY and report back
    I was thinking the same thing, especially because of the "sticky" part
    DogMan likes this.
    Started vaping 28th October 2011

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. - Benjamin Franklin
    Just because you are offended doesn't mean you are right ...

Please read these rules

Read about signatures too

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by gtadmin View Post
    I was thinking the same thing, especially because of the "sticky" part
    He did say some of the liquids are 50/50, and I wasn't aware people might get a reaction from that... Unless it's only the zero nic liquids that are 50/50, then that would make perfect sense. More info required?
    DogMan likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Lots of great info, thanks heaps for trying to help.

Quote Originally Posted by WoopiFumes View Post
    ProbablyRaging, you seem to be a new vaper transitioning from smoking. It would also seem that you have been researching vaping on YouTube and seen the latest gear which is very much all about sub-ohming these days. If this is not the case and you have some experience, then ignore the following.

When I transitioned from smoking to vaping I did so with a 1.8ohm coil and 18mg nicotine in an old CE4 Clearomiser with very restricted air-flow. At 10-12watts this provided enough throat hit and nicotine to simulate smoking and it allowed me to dispense with the ciggies altogether within a couple of weeks. It was enough and satisfying.

These days vaping has moved on a lot. Much of the new vaping gear has progressed to provide a much better and flavoursome vaping experience - but it takes time to learn how to use this. In the process, I think that new vapers are being led to run before they can walk because no-one talks about the basic gear anymore.

I've been vaping for well over three years now but I don't use 0.15 ohm coils and certainly not at 50w. I can see how this would produce a sweet cloying effect from e-liquid if you weren't used to it.

if you are new to vaping, and transitioning from smoking, I would recommend that you look at using a simple tank such as the Nautilus Mini or the Nautilus v2 with a 1.6ohm or 1.2ohm coil. Crank up the nicotine to about 12 - 18 mg, lower the power to about 12-16w, and restrict the air-flow to produce something like drawing on a cigarette or slightly looser.

I'm pretty sure that this will eliminate the throat irritation. I would certainly get irritated from a 0.15ohm coil at 50w and vaping doesn't have to be like that - it's just the impression you get from the latest vaping information.

Once you have the hang of this, then progress to the lower ohms/higher power.
    You're correct, I am new to vaping, I did a little research (YouTube and forums mostly) and from what I read most of the info led me to believe that subohms were the way to go. I guess because they were the 'newer' variant there is probably still a lot of hype about them, so most of the info I read was definitely based on subohming.

While I do believe that I maybe should have started with more novice gear I do feel quite comfortable with the setup I am rocking but also acknowledge that different setups may have different affects on how the vape 'feels' for different people, but before I go out and buy a whole new setup I'd definitely like to rule out other likely issues such as mixture ratios, flavours etc.. but I will definitely keep that in mind. Question though, I could technically just buy a tank/atomizer that is setup to take higher ohm coils at lower wattages without buying a new mod right? The Smok Alien can handle that I'd assume.

I'll touch on this a bit more further down but I have tried a variety of juices each with different mix ratios and each containing and not containing nicotine and so far only the liquids containing nicotine give me issues.

Quote Originally Posted by DogMan View Post
    kinda like a "ball in your throat"?

could be too high VG, especially for a beginner, semi-common complaint.

try boosting the PG in your DIY and report back
    Not so much a 'ball in throat feeling', it's really hard to explain the sensation, it's like a mild itching/spicy feeling, not enough to hurt but enough to feel uncomfortable, when I swallow after exhaling the vapor I feels like my throat gets sticky/tacky but not a sugar sticky, more like a mucus sticky haha I know it sounds weird but it's the best way I can explain it.

Here are all the ratios I have tried up until today, I'll include a brief description on how they felt aswell. I am yet to try the ratios that fabricator recommended earlier as I ended up working late so I'll try mixing them tomorrow morning and report back. The nicotine I use to make my own liquids is Nicotine (PG base) - 48mg/mL - NicotineRiver.com

Glazed Doughnut (pre-mix) - 6mg Nic - 80vg/20pg - First liquid I tried. Tasted very sweet, gave me the yuck feeling in back of throat on exhale
    Watermelon Mint (pre-mix) - 6mg Nic - 80vg/20pg - Watermelon was there, minty on inhale, yuck feeling on exhale
    FlavWest Grape Soda (DIY mix) - 0mg - 50/50 - Best flavour I've tasted, smooth as butter on inhale and exhale, not yuck feeling at all, perfection basically haha
    FlavWest Grape Soda (DIY mix) - 3mg - 50/50 - Flavour is still prominent, yuck feeling was not as bad as the 6mg mixed but still noticeable
    Flavorah Peanut Butter (DIY mix) - 6mg - 50/50 - Very similar to all the other 6mg mixes I tried, just tasted like peanut butter instead haha

Right now I'm just trying my hardest to push through a 3ml tank of Grape 6mg 50/50 and hoping the feelings just wears off but but so far no change.

Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    He did say some of the liquids are 50/50, and I wasn't aware people might get a reaction from that... Unless it's only the zero nic liquids that are 50/50, then that would make perfect sense. More info required?
    It seems that aslong as the liquid contains nicotine it gives me issues regardless of mix rations. I'm very keen to try mixing up a bottle of flavourless 50/50 with 0mg and 6mg to see if it might be the flavours giving me grief but based on the liquids I mentioned above I have a feeling it won't help much. If worse comes to worse I'll just have to try some different tanks and coils and hope that solves the issue.

My only idea on the situation at the moment is that it is a new form on nicotine intake and my body is just finding it weird and after a few days/weeks it will get used to it and all will be good. I really want to be able to have the success of quitting with the aid of vaping like alot of other people have had but at this point it's not giving me a lot of hope.

Thank you all again so much for taking the time in helping and explaining everything! Such a great community here! Will keep yous updated on the progress.
    Last edited by ProbablyRaging; 03-11-17 at 12:26 AM.

AVF Regular
    Yes. You can buy a MTL tank for your current mod.

Liquid nicotine is funny. As you progress, you both build a tolerance to it, and lessen your need for it.

Reading and YouTube and forums are great, but trial and error is better. Lower nic will just mean vaping more. Even as a 2 ppd smoker, i think you said, you may find it necessary to chain vape, at least to start out.

I've not tried the brand of nic you mentioned. But hear it is decent.

If your zero nic in all forms is ok. Pretty safe bet it is that, and running with the 3 or 2mg might be the go. Probably different if you do buy a MTL tank. If price is an issue, a WAnted To Buy in the classified section here may yield something cheap. Sometimes even just the price of postage for something people have moved on from to newer shinier things.
    gtadmin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

AVF Regular
    MTL is the way to start out.

AVF Regular
    Definitely the tank. I haven't used a tfv8, but they are a beast. If you get yourself a high ohm MTL tank, to put on your mod at low wattage, I am certain you will have your eureka moment. Then you will be cranking UP your nicotine, and cheering your comfortable non-smoker status.

A Uwell Crown, Kanger subtank or toptank, or a Vika clone would take you to your happy place.

Don't worry, the tfv8 will return to work. Just give your body a couple of weeks, or months to acclimatise to it's new nicotine delivery system.

Remember how much effort we had to put in to get used to the good awful sensation of smoking?

At war with technology.
    DogMan likes this.
    Rabid non-smoker since 1630hrs 25/11/2016.

Pebble fondler, living life beyond the vertical.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rockmoose View Post
    Definitely the tank. I haven't used a tfv8, but they are a beast. If you get yourself a high ohm MTL tank, to put on your mod at low wattage, I am certain you will have your eureka moment. Then you will be cranking UP your nicotine, and cheering your comfortable non-smoker status.

A Uwell Crown, Kanger subtank or toptank, or a Vika clone would take you to your happy place.

Don't worry, the tfv8 will return to work. Just give your body a couple of weeks, or months to acclimatise to it's new nicotine delivery system.

Remember how much effort we had to put in to get used to the good awful sensation of smoking?

At war with technology.
    Unsure the crown fits with the others. But just on that, the first version was best. The crown 2 and crown 3 were flops

Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

AVF Regular
    Agreed DM. I only ever had the V1. Loved it until I PIFed it to a needy new vaper, not unlike we have here. If I had another, I would do the same. That tank saved my life.

At war with technology.
    DogMan likes this.
    Rabid non-smoker since 1630hrs 25/11/2016.

Pebble fondler, living life beyond the vertical.

AVF Regular
    Just a quick thought are you mixing it with 100mg nic that i take is recently acquired nic. I had the same with a brand of nic when i first started. For the first few days intil it steeped properly it ripped the sht out of my throat. Seemed to get alot better after the 4 day mark.
    But for the first few days i was like what have i just wasted my money on.
    You can also get a bad batch of nic. Very rare but not unheard of.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    DogMan likes this.

Super Moderator
    I had a need to try an Alien with a Baby Beast tank yesterday (the person who bought it couldn't work out how to change the coil) with a 4mg juice ... HOLY SHEET

While the inhale gave me problems and not the exhale, I'd suggest (as I did for her) to buy/use another tank more suited to MTL at a higher resistance and give that a go.
    DogMan and rockmoose like this.
    Started vaping 28th October 2011

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. - Benjamin Franklin
    Just because you are offended doesn't mean you are right ...

Please read these rules

Read about signatures too

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast