Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Nicotine Causing Throat Irritation(?)

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ProbablyRaging View Post
    It seems that aslong as the liquid contains nicotine it gives me issues regardless of mix rations. I'm very keen to try mixing up a bottle of flavourless 50/50 with 0mg and 6mg to see if it might be the flavours giving me grief but based on the liquids I mentioned above I have a feeling it won't help much. If worse comes to worse I'll just have to try some different tanks and coils and hope that solves the issue.

My only idea on the situation at the moment is that it is a new form on nicotine intake and my body is just finding it weird and after a few days/weeks it will get used to it and all will be good. I really want to be able to have the success of quitting with the aid of vaping like alot of other people have had but at this point it's not giving me a lot of hope.
    Yep, it's becoming a little clearer now.

I wouldn't discount a reaction to nicotine but I'm really hoping that's not it.

I think you should try a completely different tank, and yes the mod will be fine with any tank you want to screw on it, you just need to change the power settings to suit it. What I'd suggest as a matter of urgency is to try something like a Nautilus 2. Others that use them might be able to recommend the ideal coils to use in these, but typically they are run at about 10 to 16 watts, maybe a bit higher for some coils.

The vaping style is completely different, and more like how you may have smoked. It's called MTL (mouth to lung). Vapour is drawn into the mouth with more of a sucking motion. When it hits the back of the throat you stop sucking on the vapouriser and either inhale it, or blow it straight out your nose. These devices have a much tighter draw because it just doesn't feel right to MTL on something that is wide open like the TVF8 (and other technical reasons as well). The amount of vapour is much less, and the amount it coats your throat is much less as well. You probably *will* need to increase your nicotine, but hopefully your experience is completely different with something like this.

As pointed out, different nicotine from different places can have different effects. Some people have had to try a few different ones to find something they can use - and often the problems are reported as being "harsh" "scratchy" "bad taste" etc even though other people find them perfectly fine. "Sticky" is a new one though - I'm wondering if that is primarily the effect of a TVF8 on a new vaper - just too much vapour depositing in the throat.

Another option might be nicotine salts. I suggest it because the chemistry is quite different to the normal liquid nicotine that most people use, both in pH and in ionic reactivity. This is also why some (many?) people find it best to let the liquid age for a few days or weeks, to allow the nicotine to bond and form other compounds with the VG and flavourings. This seems to eliminate harshness and make the vape "smoother".
    gtadmin, rockmoose and emu like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny76 View Post
    Just a quick thought are you mixing it with 100mg nic that i take is recently acquired nic. I had the same with a brand of nic when i first started. For the first few days intil it steeped properly it ripped the sht out of my throat. Seemed to get alot better after the 4 day mark.
    But for the first few days i was like what have i just wasted my money on.
    You can also get a bad batch of nic. Very rare but not unheard of.
    I'm using 48mg nicotine from NicotineRiver, nothing but great reviews from what I seen. But I also tried 2 premixed 6mg eliquid both from a different companies with the same issue so I thought I could rule out a bad batch, unless I got super unlucky on all 3 haha

Quote Originally Posted by DogMan View Post
    Yes. You can buy a MTL tank for your current mod.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistic Lady View Post
    MTL is the way to start out.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockmoose View Post
    Definitely the tank.
    Quote Originally Posted by gtadmin View Post
    another tank more suited to MTL at a higher resistance and give that a go.
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    I think you should try a completely different tank
    Well I mixed a 10ml bottle of flavourless 50/50 0mg and 6mg this morning. 0mg was fine, bland as hell, but smooth. 6mg was god awful, usually I have a flavour to help mask the grose feeling and taste but this one near killed me haha.

I see a pattern emerging this morning in your guys replies and I think I will definitely go out and buy a more suitable tank.

A few questions before I do so. MTL, does that offer more of a 'drag of a cigarette' type of feeling? Where you use your mouth to draw in vapor and then inhale from there? If so then I think that is great and I would actually kind of prefer that when vaping nicotine liquids. Or will I still be using more of a lung inhale to draw vapor like the tanks I currently have?

I'll jump on again tonight and check out a couple of different MTL tanks that you guys recommend, is there any specific ohm and watts you guys would recommend or is anything over 1.0ohm that can be used around 10-30w good?

I like the look of the Aspire Nautilus 2 and the shape of the mouth piece looks cigarette like. It comes with a 0.7ohm and a 1.8ohm coil, and they have variables inbetween that I can try out also. Or there is the Nautilus Mini tank which comes with 2x 1.8ohm coils. I don't see any recommended watts for either of these coils though. Are either of these better then the other or would you recommend something completely different?
    Last edited by ProbablyRaging; 03-11-17 at 11:31 AM.

AVF Regular
    I see a pattern emerging this morning in your guys replies and I think I will definitely go out and buy a more suitable tank.

A few questions before I do so. MTL, does that offer more of a 'drag of a cigarette' type of feeling? Where you use your mouth to draw in vapor and then inhale from there? If so then I think that is great and I would actually kind of prefer that when vaping nicotine liquids.
    Yes, absolutely! It's where we normally recommend that people start. It's what smokers are usually more used to. If you used to drag it into your mouth first, then usually the tighter it is the better (within reason). Back in the "bad old days" some of use to complain about devices that were so tight it was like trying to drag a golf ball through a hose pipe. Even then, some people liked it that tight. I'm an experienced vaper but something like the TVF8 is just too much for me, as are most dual coil atomisers that are typically run at 80 watt or more. The TVF8 is more on the extreme end of tanks with factory coils - some people progress to it for sure, but it's a bit like learning to ski on the advanced slope at the end of the season - the potential for things to go wrong is huge, and you may not enjoy the experience.

To a large extent vapers are to blame for this - we easily forget what it was like to be trying to make the switch to vapour and the smokers have largely been forgotten. This year we've seen a lot of new devices that are suitable though, so it's great to see things like the D19 (new!) the T20, and the Pockex. They are good and inexpensive devices for a smoker to start the journey and if you'd asked first, that is probably where we would have pointed you. You are past these devices now though, simply because you have a regulated mod, so your challenge is to back pedal a bit, and find a suitable tank. (if you like the look of one of those, and find mtl suits you, they make great backup or inexpensive pocket devices though)

Or will I still be using more of a lung inhale to draw vapor like the tanks I currently have?
    That all depends on you. I would have said that I should have been a tootle puffing MTL vaper, because that is how I used to smoke skinny racehorses stuffed with drum tobacco. I never sucked on them like they were a (plastic bottle with a metal cone poked through the side, LOL). I found that I really enjoy something a little looser though, what sometimes gets called "restricted direct lung". I even use the modern MTL devices this way. I also do switch between tight and looser devices depending circumstances. You will know when you try something like the Nautilus 2. One thing I will say it's quite possible for a direct lung vaper to use a MTL device with higher nicotine, but it's uncomfortable for me to go to something completely wide open and high power. Maybe for the odd cloud busting vape, but not for daily use.

I'll jump on again tonight and check out a couple of different MTL tanks that you guys recommend, is there any specific ohm and watts you guys would recommend or is anything over 1.0ohm that can be used around 10-30w good?

I like the look of the Aspire Nautilus 2 and the shape of the mouth piece looks cigarette like. It comes with a 0.7ohm and a 1.8ohm coil, and they have variables inbetween that I can try out also. Or there is the Nautilus Mini tank which comes with 2x 1.8ohm coils. I don't see any recommended watts for either of these coils though. Are either of these better then the other or would you recommend something completely different?
    A bit like my last answer, I can't say what will work for you, only what works for me. Some of the good MTL tanks use lower ohm coils at lower watts and really work. How much air people draw over the coil affects the power that you need to set it at, so it starts to get a bit individual. I was in The Steamery (in Sydney) a few weeks ago and think all their testers are Nautilus's. I'm not sure, but they appeared to be the lower ohm coil, and worked best for me at about 18 watts for some liquids, or about 16 watts on others. Higher ohm coils might run best at slightly lower ohms. Like I said, it also depends on how hard you suck, and for how long.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 03-11-17 at 12:03 PM.

AVF Regular
    I'm using 48mg nicotine from NicotineRiver, nothing but great reviews from what I seen. But I also tried 2 premixed 6mg eliquid both from a different companies with the same issue so I thought I could rule out a bad batch, unless I got super unlucky on all 3 haha

Well I mixed a 10ml bottle of flavourless 50/50 0mg and 6mg this morning. 0mg was fine, bland as hell, but smooth. 6mg was god awful, usually I have a flavour to help mask the grose feeling and taste but this one near killed me haha.

A few questions before I do so. MTL, does that offer more of a 'drag of a cigarette' type of feeling? Where you use your mouth to draw in vapor and then inhale from there? If so then I think that is great and I would actually kind of prefer that when vaping nicotine liquids. Or will I still be using more of a lung inhale to draw vapor like the tanks I currently have?

Where are you located raging i have a vika clone lying around that is brand new and some 1.8 nautilis coils if ur interested. This iz qhat i give to people who want to try vaping for the first time is a great little flavor tank.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    A bit like my last answer, I can't say what will work for you, only what works for me.
    Rodger that, as I expected anyways.

But as for a good starting point on my journey to find the 'right setup' would you say that Nautilus 2 would be a good way to go, or would there be something more suitable to start with?

I see that these stick style mods cost roughly the same amount (maybe $5-10 give or take) then a Nautilus 2 tank, do you think that I should maybe try one of those first, instead of just a new tank and coils? I wouldn't be completely against buying a new mod if it's only going to run me an extra $30-$50. If worse comes to worse I use the stick mod for when I'm out and about and wanting nicotine and I use the Smok Alien for those 'cloud bursting' moments without nicotine as you referred to it.

Sorry, I realize I am asking a lot of questions. I really thought I did a fair amount of research before buying the Smok Alien. Turns out I still had quite a lot to learn, but I'm enjoying it haha only wish I stopped in here first.
    Danny76 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny76 View Post
    Where are you located raging i have a vika clone lying around that is brand new and some 1.8 nautilis coils if ur interested. This iz qhat i give to people who want to try vaping for the first time is a great little flavor tank.

Thanks so much for the offer, I live in the Central West of NSW, about an hour out of Bathurst. I'd be happy to pay for it and postage if you're not near by, let me just see what other ideas people come up with first and I'll let you know! Thanks again!
    Danny76 likes this.

AVF Regular
    you could try the Innokin Prism T20 tank Innokin Prism T20 2ml Clearomizer Tank | VapeKing or the previous model Innokin Prism T22 Innokin Prism T22 Clearomizer | VapeKing reasonable priced and reasonable prices for coils too. The original Nautilus was a standout tank much loved by many - I have not heard too much about the Nauty 2 - and the Vika Fantasy tank that Danny mentions is a great little tank too - its really a case of trying to see what suits you

What is a cat's favourite colour? Purrrrrrrple !

AVF Regular
    All great suggestions I agree with there from Lynne. These devices often have removable tanks that you can buy separately, and the Vika Fantasy would be a great option as well. It's up to you if you want to buy one of these little kits. They are relatively inexpensive and it's always good to having something spare in case of breakages or malfunctions. I used to always carry a spare something in the bag I took to work. I hardly ever needed to use it, but it was lifesaver when a tank shattered or I forgot to charge batteries.

If you want to see a review of the Nauty 2, Phil Busardo (one of the most vape famous tootle puffers out there) did a pretty good job:

It's a very long video, so fast forward to 21:19 for the start of the Nautilus 2 review.

Thanks for all the info guys, greatly appreciated.

I think, if people agree that this is a good idea, I will buy a INNOKIN ENDURA T20 which comes with a 1.5ohm coil. I know that I'll likely end up using this mod for when I'm out and about anyways, instead of lugging the Smok Alien around with me. Also going to buy a Nautilus 2 tank to try on my Alien as it comes with a 1.8 and 0.7ohm coil.

So in the end I'd have tested coils from as low as 0.15 all the way up to 1.8. If I cant find a happy medium with that then I don't know what else to do. What does everyone think?

Also have a question regarding the higher ohm coils, will I be better off mixing up some higher nicotine liquids for them? Is 12mg or 18mg a good place to start?

AVF Regular
    Thanks for all the info guys, greatly appreciated.

I think, if people agree that this is a good idea, I will buy a INNOKIN ENDURA T20 which comes with a 1.5ohm coil. I know that I'll likely end up using this mod for when I'm out and about anyways, instead of lugging the Smok Alien around with me. Also going to buy a Nautilus 2 tank to try on my Alien as it comes with a 1.8 and 0.7ohm coil.

So in the end I'd have tested coils from as low as 0.15 all the way up to 1.8. If I cant find a happy medium with that then I don't know what else to do. What does everyone think?

Also have a question regarding the higher ohm coils, will I be better off mixing up some higher nicotine liquids for them? Is 12mg or 18mg a good place to start?
    Are you a flavor chaser or just after the nic hit. If you get the t20 you will be sorely disappointed in the flavor IMO. Bud 20$ ill send u a brand new vika clone(yes its a clone but its a cracker) and a brand new packet of 1.8 nautilis coils. Up to you mate but the offer is thier.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast