Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Nicotine Causing Throat Irritation(?)

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Nicotine Causing Throat Irritation(?)

I recently bought a Smok Alien with other bits and pieces and with it purchased a few 6mg eliquids and 0mg eliquids to get me through while I waited for my DIY gear to arrive.

First eliquid I tried was a 6mg glazed doughnut flavour, upon exhaling the vapour I'm left with a sticky, gunky, bad tasting feeling in the back of my throat. So in a new tank/coil I tried a 6mg watermelon flavour and still left with the same feeling. I vaped through the feeling until I polished of the 3ml of juice and switched to a 0mg liquid and found it to be way smoother, no bad taste/feeling in the back of my throat.

Anyways, my DIY gear came today so I mixed up a simple single flavour 6mg bottle of eliquid and I'm still getting bad taste/feeling in the back of my throat, which I can only assume is from the nicotine. I tried a 3mg eliquid and the taste/feeling was not as bad but still there.

The liquids I tried were 50vg/50pg or 80vg/20pg.

I used to be/still am a 25-35 a day roll your own smoker so nicotine is nothing new to me. Is this common and will it pass? I'd really love to quit smoking but if this taste/feeling doesn't go away I don't think I'll be able to tolerate it enough to quit.

TIA

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ProbablyRaging View Post
    I recently bought a Smok Alien with other bits and pieces and with it purchased a few 6mg eliquids and 0mg eliquids to get me through while I waited for my DIY gear to arrive.

First eliquid I tried was a 6mg glazed doughnut flavour, upon exhaling the vapour I'm left with a sticky, gunky, bad tasting feeling in the back of my throat. So in a new tank/coil I tried a 6mg watermelon flavour and still left with the same feeling. I vaped through the feeling until I polished of the 3ml of juice and switched to a 0mg liquid and found it to be way smoother, no bad taste/feeling in the back of my throat.

Anyways, my DIY gear came today so I mixed up a simple single flavour 6mg bottle of eliquid and I'm still getting bad taste/feeling in the back of my throat, which I can only assume is from the nicotine. I tried a 3mg eliquid and the taste/feeling was not as bad but still there.

The liquids I tried were 50vg/50pg or 80vg/20pg.

I used to be/still am a 25-35 a day roll your own smoker so nicotine is nothing new to me. Is this common and will it pass? I'd really love to quit smoking but if this taste/feeling doesn't go away I don't think I'll be able to tolerate it enough to quit.

TIA
    It's kind of rare for nicotine to be a problem, but it can happen. You need to check first to see if there is a problem with any flavouring elements, or PG.

Mix up some 50/50 PG/VG with no flavouring at all, and at 6mg/ml if that is the level that seems to work best (you might need higher if you want to kick the smokes)

Try it with and without nicotine. Let us know how that goes, because the results could be rather telling. ("Gunky" and "bad tasting" I associate more with flavourings rather than anything else.)

ETA: Oh, and have you been sick, like with the flu or a bug in last month?
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    It's kind of rare for nicotine to be a problem, but it can happen. You need to check first to see if there is a problem with any flavouring elements, or PG.

Mix up some 50/50 PG/VG with no flavouring at all, and at 6mg/ml if that is the level that seems to work best (you might need higher if you want to kick the smokes)

Try it with and without nicotine. Let us know how that goes, because the results could be rather telling. ("Gunky" and "bad tasting" I associate more with flavourings rather than anything else.)

ETA: Oh, and have you been sick, like with the flu or a bug in last month?
    Thanks for the feedback. I thought it might of been the flavours too but after trying different flavours both with and without nicotine I sort of ruled it out.

I'll try mixing some 50/50 0mg and 6mg without any flavouring later tonight and see how that goes. I'm running short on clean coils so hopefully this experiment helps me figure out the problem.

As for higher nicotine, I'm using a subohm tank/coil setup and was steered away from using anything higher then 6mg as the extra vapor produces more nicotine? For reference I'm using a Smok Alien 220, TFV8 tank, 0.15ohm coils. If this isn't the case then I'll definitely kick up the nicotine content as I already thought 6mg was pretty low.

It's hard to describe the feeling/taste I am getting from the eliquid but if you/anyone has ever tried raw tobacco through a pipe, the feelings it leaves in the back of your throat is comparable to what I'm feeling.

No I have not been sick in well over 6 months.

Thanks again for the help! Will update later tonight.

AVF Regular
    Thanks for the feedback. I thought it might of been the flavours too but after trying different flavours both with and without nicotine I sort of ruled it out.

I'll try mixing some 50/50 0mg and 6mg without any flavouring later tonight and see how that goes. I'm running short on clean coils so hopefully this experiment helps me figure out the problem.

As for higher nicotine, I'm using a subohm tank/coil setup and was steered away from using anything higher then 6mg as the extra vapor produces more nicotine? For reference I'm using a Smok Alien 220, TFV8 tank, 0.15ohm coils. If this isn't the case then I'll definitely kick up the nicotine content as I already thought 6mg was pretty low.

It's hard to describe the feeling/taste I am getting from the eliquid but if you/anyone has ever tried raw tobacco through a pipe, the feelings it leaves in the back of your throat is comparable to what I'm feeling.

No I have not been sick in well over 6 months.

Thanks again for the help! Will update later tonight.
    Yes, 6mg/ml should be OK on that setup, depending on how many watts you are running.

I vape 8mg/ml on single coil sub-ohm setups, at around 0.4 ohms.

One thing I would say is that the setup you've got, I wouldn't usually recommend for a smoker wanting to transition to vaping. Some people need something like that to start, but for most it's a gradual transition to lower ohms and higher power.

Maybe try dialling it back a bit, or use higher ohm coils with less power and see if that helps as well.

Yes, 6mg/ml should be OK on that setup, depending on how many watts you are running.

I vape 8mg/ml on single coil sub-ohm setups, at around 0.4 ohms.

One thing I would say is that the setup you've got, I wouldn't usually recommend for a smoker wanting to transition to vaping. Some people need something like that to start, but for most it's a gradual transition to lower ohms and higher power.

Maybe try dialling it back a bit, or use higher ohm coils with less power and see if that helps as well.
    On the current setup which I'm using right now (TFV8 baby beast, 0.4hm Q2 coil, 0mg eliquid) I'm vaping at 50w purely for the taste. It feels comfortable, more comfortable then the TFV8 which feels like I'm just sucking in a lungful of air. But this is my only clean baby beast coil so I don't want to gunk it up with a liquid I won't like until I buy more coils. I did try 6mg liquid on on of the baby beast coils and still had the same affect.

If you have any recommendation on some products what might suit me better I'd love to hear it! I plan on buying a bit more gear next week anyways, so if you have a tank and some coils in mind I'll check them out for sure, can't hurt either way. If I don't enjoy them I'll just keep them as decoration!

AVF Regular
    On the current setup which I'm using right now (TFV8 baby beast, 0.4hm Q2 coil, 0mg eliquid) I'm vaping at 50w purely for the taste. It feels comfortable, more comfortable then the TFV8 which feels like I'm just sucking in a lungful of air. But this is my only clean baby beast coil so I don't want to gunk it up with a liquid I won't like until I buy more coils. I did try 6mg liquid on on of the baby beast coils and still had the same affect.

If you have any recommendation on some products what might suit me better I'd love to hear it! I plan on buying a bit more gear next week anyways, so if you have a tank and some coils in mind I'll check them out for sure, can't hurt either way. If I don't enjoy them I'll just keep them as decoration!
    It think if I didn't already have Kanger Subtank minis hanging out my wazoo, I'll be seriously looking at the Geekvape Zeus for a single coil RTA (rebuildable tank atomiser).

See, I build my own coils and wick them. Works out to a few cents every time, instead of one or two bucks. You might not be ready for that. The Kanger Subtank/Toptank minis take factory coils too. Single coil bangers work for me.

There's another more modern tank that takes both factory coils and an RTA deck. I think grimm green did a kind of review for it but I can't find it at the moment... (you can buy it in tank configuration or RTA configuration, but you can't buy the RTA deck on it's own to upgrade the first one).

Apart from that, have a look at this page and see if anything takes your fancy:
    Best Vape Tanks 2017
    Last edited by fabricator4; 02-11-17 at 02:37 PM.
    eLicky and emu like this.

It think if I didn't already have Kanger Subtank minis hanging out my wazoo, I'll be seriously looking at the Geekvape Zeus for a single coil RDA.

See, I build my own coils and wick them. Works out to a few cents every time, instead of one or two bucks. You might not be ready for that. The Kanger Subtank/Toptank minis take factory coils too. Single coil bangers work for me.

Best Vape Tanks 2017
    Awesome, I'll check them out.

On that note, my TFV8 Beast came with a dual coil RBA deck and some cotton. I'm definitely interested in the DIY side of vaping (more for the money saved then anything else) and I feel like I'm a pretty quick learner so maybe I'll try a couple practice runs on that before I go any further with it.

Thanks again for all the help. I'll keep this updated on how I go with it all.

emu
    AVF Regular

Best Vape Tanks 2017

Hey..!!! Where's the Eleaf Melo 300 in that list..??
    It has to be up there with the likes of Smok, Uwell and Aspire mate..!!!
    One of the best DL tanks available and Eleaf even made a RBA deck which is so well made
    fabricator4 likes this.

ProbablyRaging, you seem to be a new vaper transitioning from smoking. It would also seem that you have been researching vaping on YouTube and seen the latest gear which is very much all about sub-ohming these days. If this is not the case and you have some experience, then ignore the following.

When I transitioned from smoking to vaping I did so with a 1.8ohm coil and 18mg nicotine in an old CE4 Clearomiser with very restricted air-flow. At 10-12watts this provided enough throat hit and nicotine to simulate smoking and it allowed me to dispense with the ciggies altogether within a couple of weeks. It was enough and satisfying.

These days vaping has moved on a lot. Much of the new vaping gear has progressed to provide a much better and flavoursome vaping experience - but it takes time to learn how to use this. In the process, I think that new vapers are being led to run before they can walk because no-one talks about the basic gear anymore.

I've been vaping for well over three years now but I don't use 0.15 ohm coils and certainly not at 50w. I can see how this would produce a sweet cloying effect from e-liquid if you weren't used to it.

if you are new to vaping, and transitioning from smoking, I would recommend that you look at using a simple tank such as the Nautilus Mini or the Nautilus v2 with a 1.6ohm or 1.2ohm coil. Crank up the nicotine to about 12 - 18 mg, lower the power to about 12-16w, and restrict the air-flow to produce something like drawing on a cigarette or slightly looser.

I'm pretty sure that this will eliminate the throat irritation. I would certainly get irritated from a 0.15ohm coil at 50w and vaping doesn't have to be like that - it's just the impression you get from the latest vaping information.

Once you have the hang of this, then progress to the lower ohms/higher power.
    fabricator4, 1ynne and emu like this.
    "We are none of us infallible--not even the youngest of us."
    W.H. Thompson

AVF Regular
    I'm left with a sticky, gunky, bad tasting feeling in the back of my throat.
    kinda like a "ball in your throat"?

could be too high VG, especially for a beginner, semi-common complaint.

try boosting the PG in your DIY and report back
    gtadmin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast